Notices

supercharger question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger question?

first off i have a 97 civic hatch with a b18c, usdm ITR tranny, dc header, jun chipped p28, jun flywheel, cm fx100 clutch, walbro 255lph, b&m fpr, ngk plugs/wires, tl throttlebody, skunk2 cams, and skunk2 IM......

my question is i have the opertunity to buy either a.....
*new* vortech superchager with the aftercooler complete, it's still in the box never installed

OR

used jrsc with the high boost set up also complete.......

which should i buy? why? also i'm getting a great deal on either so price isn't a factor and please don't tell me to buy a turbo instead...honestly i'll stay n/a before i'll go turbo
Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 PM

go with new
Old 04-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: supercharger question? (xsellxoutx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xsellxoutx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which should i buy? why? also i'm getting a great deal on either so price isn't a factor and please don't tell me to buy a turbo instead...honestly i'll stay n/a before i'll go turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

W-H-Y?

A Vortech gives you all the disadvantages of the JRSC, but none of the benefits. None of the benefits either. They take till redline to make full boost so they're peaky, you need to change a pulley to change boost, you make no bottom or mid range torque, it's basically a turbo made shitty. Why would you chose this before a turbo.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:41 PM

between the two i would go with the vortech but if u got the money you should go turbo
Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 PM

my bad on sayong go turbo i didnt read all your post go vortech
Old 04-13-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: supercharger question? (WhiteonGold)

Putting a vortec on your car is like taking a **** in your hand and rubbing it all in your face. Just a shitty situation.

If you want your power in a small powerband in a really high RPM range, get a turbo. If you want a broader powerband in a lower RPM range, get a JRSC. If you want to be on the receiving end of a prison rape, get the vortec.

For what it's worth, I bought my JRSC kit used and it was perfect. Perfect blades and no shaft play. Just waaaaay harder to install than a new kit.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharger question? (JRciv)

why is it harder to install a used jrsc?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what you want to do. The JRSC makes a lot of torque real low, but gets very inefficient at higher RPMs, especially at higher boost levels. My JRSC discharge temps (measured by a bead/wire sensor in the discharge port) at 10 PSI were over 200 degrees at 8000 RPM. The Vortech will not have the same low end, but it will make more power when you wind it up. I think the big benefit of either over a turbo is they will both deliver torque in a very linear way, the JRSC starting high and tapering off at higher RPMs, and the Vortech starting low and ramping smoothly up. I'd use a Vortech if I was going drag racing and a JRSC for autox and road course. I've heard of people using a JRSC and Nitrous for drag racing too, but I never tried it.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd use a Vortech if I was going drag racing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looked at any domestic races lately? Turbo cars are cleaning up shop in any class where they're allowed on anything close to a level playing field. Turbos are superior.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (turboEGhatch)

^^^Ain't that the truth. I only went JR because I wanted to be different. But all said and done, turbo setups are cheaper and make more HP. If I spent the same money on a turbo setup, I would have like 600hp.

BTW, the used kits are an insane install because you never get a full kit. It's not a "bolt-on" item. You have to tweak and modify everything to work on your car. So when someone pulls a kit off and you buy it second hand, you have to buy a bunch of **** to make it work.

I bought my kit used for $760. I spent another $250 in parts to make the kit work. Oh, and it took over a month to install
Old 04-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboEGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Looked at any domestic races lately? Turbo cars are cleaning up shop in any class where they're allowed on anything close to a level playing field. Turbos are superior.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****, I use a turbo myself, and I drag race it, but if you'd read the original post, the person said he doesn't want to go turbo, just JR or Vortech, so between those two choices I'd pick the Vortech for drag racing.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://crx.honda-perf.org/faq/data/3.html

some info on the jrsc from a user.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93formula)

My JRSC worked great after I figured out how to install and tune it correctly. All of the people I've seen having problems with their JRSC have either had it installed incorrectly or improperly tuned.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: (93formula)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93formula &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://crx.honda-perf.org/faq/data/3.html

some info on the jrsc from a user.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy who wrote that is a f*cking idiot. He complained that it ran lean but wouldn't buy real engine management? Well no ****. Everyone knows that the Jackson bandaids are crap. My JR/uberdata setup runs fine.

That was the dumbest opinion I've ever read. My JR D16 runs mid 13's and will be running 11s after I send it to endyn/lht. for ignorance.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The guy who wrote that is a f*cking idiot. He complained that it ran lean but wouldn't buy real engine management? Well no ****. Everyone knows that the Jackson bandaids are crap. My JR/uberdata setup runs fine.

That was the dumbest opinion I've ever read. My JR D16 runs mid 13's and will be running 11s after I send it to endyn/lht. for ignorance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please post your experiences with the Endyn blower mod when you get it done(I'm assuming you're getting the Endyn case mod and the Endyn coating on the rotors). I was considering it, but that's a lot of money and I don't know anyone who's had it done that I could ask about it.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I have a wad of cash I'm gonna blow when I get done with all these tuning bugs. I'm either sending my block to Earl or just throwing in the pistons/rods I have laying around and getting the endyn mod. Both would cost about $1000.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I don't know if I can incorporate both the LHT and endyn mods. I definitely want the intercooled intake manifold but I don't know how it will interfere with the work that Endyn does. I don't know who to ask.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing that's stopping me is that I don't know if I can incorporate both the LHT and endyn mods. I definitely want the intercooled intake manifold but I don't know how it will interfere with the work that Endyn does. I don't know who to ask.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just call the guy at LHT. He's in frequent contact with Larry at Endyne. He's also very helpful and informative.