Notices

Supercharged GSR and Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged GSR and Ethanol?

I looked around and could not really find too much on the subject. I was turbo'd on my LS but Im now building a GSR and got a deal on a Jackson Supercharger with the 10lb pulley,
so a lot of my friends are running superchargers on their mustangs ect. and told me I should use ethanol since it will cool off the charge. I understand all that however I really haven't seen too much or too many people doing that with this type of set up. Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that has done it and if it is overall better than
say 93...
Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Supercharged GSR and Ethanol?

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
I looked around and could not really find too much on the subject. I was turbo'd on my LS but Im now building a GSR and got a deal on a Jackson Supercharger with the 10lb pulley,
so a lot of my friends are running superchargers on their mustangs ect. and told me I should use ethanol since it will cool off the charge. I understand all that however I really haven't seen too much or too many people doing that with this type of set up. Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone that has done it and if it is overall better than
say 93...
E85 and E98, or whatever you are talking about, all have their cooling properties. I read an article on it. I'll find it real quick instead of trying to explain it from memory.

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...ad.php?t=73061

That one is decent. Basically, it is better. Just takes more to push it out and such.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking since a supercharger gets so hot and doesn't get cooled off like a turbo does with an intercooler, e85 would do something similar also would contain the detonation a little but it's hard to find any information about that set up.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
I was thinking since a supercharger gets so hot and doesn't get cooled off like a turbo does with an intercooler, e85 would do something similar also would contain the detonation a little but it's hard to find any information about that set up.
You can run an intercooler with a supercharger. But anyways, you just build it and take it to a tuner. They can tune your 10 PSI JRSC on E85, trust me.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel will give you more protection against detonation, but without additional modifications, you may not get the most use of it. It will definitely work, but may not give much, if any more power than premium.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM
R.I.P. Mark

you will get better results looking into cooling the charger and manifold

as aposed to where the fuel is injected is in the last 4" of the intake flow path to the chamber

post charger cooling like the LHT manifold will do a greater job at cooling
as it removes the heat from the air and also the heat soaked manifold and charger case

another thing to look at is the shelf life of the fuel, mods needed to run it, corosive factors to all fuel components inc: tank lines reg injectors, avalibility to get the fuel, lower MPG
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the lht is the way to go but I'm not gonna drop $1000 on that setup, I was just wondering if the ethonol would be a cheaper alternative. I'm not racing it, it's just a daily that I wanted to be slightly faster/more fun..I got other cars that are to race.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Man U FTW

The thing is...at 10psi on an intercooled JRSC, you dont need anything better than premium fuel simply because it wont make much past 300whp (within the limits of 91-93oct fuel). If you ran an underdrive pulley (more boost) and/or a higher comp bottom end, then you would start to see the benefits of E85, as premium fuel would start to become a limitation. Again, this isn't to say that you can't or shouldnt run e85, but rather that without meeting certain requirements, e85 isn't really gaining you anything.

There are a few inherent problems with running e85 as well. Gas mileage is 30% less than with premium, the fuel system needs to be larger to accomodate increased fuel volume, finding fuel reliably can be difficult, if e85 sits for too long it starts to ruin fuel pumps, it doesn't start easily when cold, and it really isnt that much cheaper now that the subsidy for it expired.

I daily drove a built boosted LS/VTEC on e85 for a few years...the power is great but the fuel has its limitations
Old 11-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from what I also understand be careful to not let the E85 stand around unused for a while... I heard it goes bad, or separates or something...