Notices

Supercharge my gsr?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharge my gsr?

I have a 95 gsr in my civic and I'm planning on keeping my car a daily. My goal was to run about 13.5. I was wondering if I had to change internals before I supercharged or will I be able to hit about 13.5 with stock internals and a supercharger?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (TurboLiLcIvIc605)

no you dont have to do any internal changes. I have the same set up. I wish i would have saved my money for a little longer and just went turbo to begin with. Oh well im finally getting a turbo this christmas I would recommend getting a turbo as long as its tuned right it will be just as reliable as a JRSC
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM

unless you want to be slow, get turbo. plus turbo is more fun
Old 12-15-2005, 09:42 AM

go for jrsc more power at low rpm...put the same psi on both and you will still be first whit the jrsc... i ran a b20 vtec jrsc 7psi..and can tell you that any b20 vtec with 7psi turbo will be far away....good luck
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (civic_sc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_sc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go for jrsc more power at low rpm...put the same psi on both and you will still be first whit the jrsc... i ran a b20 vtec jrsc 7psi..and can tell you that any b20 vtec with 7psi turbo will be far away....good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

not any turbo, if properly sized the turbo will spool faster and still make better power and tq looky here.. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=688120
Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not any turbo, if properly sized the turbo will spool faster and still make better power and tq looky here.. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=688120</TD></TR></TABLE>

How often does that happen. I bet the majority of HT FI heads are going to reccomend either a T3/T4 60 trim or an SC61 (then again I haven't been hearing much about the SC61 lately.)

I'm using a TD04 14G that gives me 7psi by 3500rpm.

For my next setup of 300-350 I'm going to use a T3/T4 50 trim so I have more useable power as opposed to getting a 57 or 60 trim.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (HT Chaplin)

up
Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HT Chaplin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no you dont have to do any internal changes. I have the same set up. I wish i would have saved my money for a little longer and just went turbo to begin with. Oh well im finally getting a turbo this christmas I would recommend getting a turbo as long as its tuned right it will be just as reliable as a JRSC</TD></TR></TABLE>

a supercharger is more reliable and I'm only shooting for about 13.5 1/4 time. Yea I know turbo's are pretty fun but my cars only a daily. I'm thinking since my gsr is in a civic and not a integra I'd be able to get about 13.5 with a supercharger and other bolt ons. Also is there any kind of tuning I need after I but it on?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM

If your goal is 13.5 then stay all motor...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the uprade JRSC system with the 450 cc inj so i had to get it tuned. If you get the basic kit then you dont. How soon do you need the JRSC. Mine has less that 5K so sometime in Jan ill be selling. It was a weekend car so it barely has any miles on it.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLiLcIvIc605 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a supercharger is more reliableand I'm only shooting for about 13.5 1/4 time. Yea I know turbo's are pretty fun but my cars only a daily. I'm thinking since my gsr is in a civic and not a integra I'd be able to get about 13.5 with a supercharger and other bolt ons. Also is there any kind of tuning I need after I but it on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where do people get this horseshit from?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where do people get this horseshit from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand why a SC would be more reliable than turbo either. They both pack more air into the cylinders.

Unless JRSC has some kind of super-awesome kickass pre-made basemap that works with every car in existance that they sell a kit for a supercharger is no more reliable than a turbo
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What i dont like about the JRSC is that it blows all that HOT air into your engine. Heat is what damages engines so i think turbo if tuned right is way better for your engine.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Mustang Sally

I ONLY recommend them if you're not planning on seriously getting into alot of racing. This is my 95 GSR and its been running with this setup for years. They tell me the previous owner went 13.6 on stock tires.

If you want real power, get a turbo, but they're alot more complicated and expensive.
If you want constant power, get a JRSC, but roots blowers do throw in alot of heat.
If you want some daily driver power, honestly, I'm really happy daily driving my GSR with its Vortech.

I could care less if people tell me theres better out there. I know it, but I don't race this car. I have a Turbo Mustang I run around in.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Superchargers are gay on hondas, unless it's a custom S/C setup. They are inefficient, expensive, not upgradable, and don't make a lot of power. Just go all motor and be done with it or be a man and go turbo.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (beerbongskickass)

I agree Go turbo, a s/c is no safer than a turbo and is the same or more expensive plus u can still run ur daily driver 7 psi and then when u want to go faster boost it up a little... cant do that on a S/C
Old 12-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (R6E6I6D)

You can just bolt the SC right up, I'd suggest to get some good tuning done but you *can* run on the JRSC fuel management equipment. Definitely not suggested, but you can.

I'm going with SC because it's a simple, much less complicated, and a more straight forward setup than a turbo. I'm totally aware that I will not make great power, but I don't have the time to tear apart my engine for NA nor do I have the time to mess around with a turbo setup. That... and it's not like the car is any slower?! They add quite a bit of torque too.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (SovXietday)

for the money spent id rather have the nice results of a turbo set up
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (R6E6I6D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6E6I6D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree Go turbo, a s/c is no safer than a turbo and is the same or more expensive plus u can still run ur daily driver 7 psi and then when u want to go faster boost it up a little... cant do that on a S/C </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right, the $60 boost controller vs the $30 pulley has us SCed cars owned... Damn...

The only thing a turbo has on a supercharger is efficiency. Centrifical blowers make less heat, they don't raise oil temps to a point where you have to worry about coking, they don't boost creep or boost spike, they're very set in stone, you know what a blower is going to do.

Turbos are fun and all, but until you've owned both a Turbo car and a blower car, don't talk about which one is better.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (KooK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KooK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's right, the $60 boost controller vs the $30 pulley has us SCed cars owned... Damn...

The only thing a turbo has on a supercharger is efficiency. Centrifical blowers make less heat, they don't raise oil temps to a point where you have to worry about coking, they don't boost creep or boost spike, they're very set in stone, you know what a blower is going to do.

Turbos are fun and all, but until you've owned both a Turbo car and a blower car, don't talk about which one is better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is why you have intercooling and oil coolers, Ambient temps are reduced to very safe levels. so are oil temps with the proper cooler and thermostat.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharge my gsr? (KooK)

Go turbo, buddy. I will tell you from experience that superchargers suck. I had the Vortech on my 00 Si. Wasn't my choice, a buddy of mine put it on before I bought the car. It was fun, but after you boost you'll still want more. So I went as far as getting the Payn Tech kit for the 8-rib set-up with the 10 psi set up. It was o.k. and I made 280 whp off of it. THEN I got really tired of breaking and replacing belts, because tension is meticulous on superchargers.

So then I went with my original plan to eventually build my engine and go turbo. It is 100% better. Yeah the supercharger came on much sooner, but that also means more fuel and you don't hit full boost until redline. I get twice the gas mileage with my turbo than the supercharger. The vortech had to be constantly fed (tuned on Crome) and with the turbo you conserve more fuel, and has much more torque. With a turbo your still like grandma's civic until 4K rpm. It just feels better. But its up to you.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is why you have intercooling and oil coolers, Ambient temps are reduced to very safe levels. so are oil temps with the proper cooler and thermostat. </TD></TR></TABLE>
bingo
O and i dont see a lot of people who can jump outta their car to change a pulley before a race.... j/p
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM

b18 cya's friend posting

i ran 13.6@101 with a stock jdm gsr in my crx, why waste money on a supercharger if you only want to go 13.5?? buy a turbo or stay all motor.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

his EJ coupe is no crx tho, I mean those are nice times and all but i know a EJ1 weights more
Old 12-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great, another SC vs. turbo H-T thread, just what we needed!

If your primary concern is your 1/4 mile time, get a turbo, they are generally faster in the 1/4, but you should be able to run mid 13's with a SC on stock internals, some good tires, and some practice if your car is not fucked up.

After having run a number of different SC and turbo setups on my Civic, I like all motor or SC for a daily driver/weekend racer, but I mostly race on road courses and autocross. If I was mostly drag racing, then I'd like turbo better, or maybe SC with nitrous, but I haven't tried that yet. JRSC air temps are not bad at the stock boost level, but will get ridiculous if you bump it up to 10-11 PSI. There are solutions for that, but they cost serious $. The JRSC install is easier, but it's not slam-dunk easy, and if not done right the JRSC will be a PITA. If done right, then it should make over 200 WHP, be very reliable, and last for a long time.

Quick Reply: Supercharge my gsr?