Notices

Suggestions for overheating........

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for overheating........

92-95 hatch, 2.0l darton sleeved gsr, fully built the only thing I don't have is bigger cams.

Precision 600hp intercooler, neukin manifold with t3 60-1 turbo, tial bov etc etc....

I have tryed EVERY possible solution for overheating. Well the temp gauge goes up bout 3/4 the way after driving on 85-90 plus degree days. There is nothing that triggers the overheating, boost doesn't effect it, it just eventually heats up. I have tryed water wetter, 90/10 coolant mix, new radiator, low temp thermo, and headgasket, fan is on all the time, and even put a better puller fan on (had it as a push before).

The problem seems to be airflow related b/c I can take the front bumper off and the car will run all day long with no issues. I am just trying to avoid hacking up the bumper. I still have stock grill in just trimmed back for fmic. I was just curious as to see if anyone has ever had this type of issue. If I don't figure something out I'll cut the bumper, but I like sticking with the stock, sleeper look. Has anyone tryed those "air diversion plates"?? I was curious about them b/c it seems to be air flow related. Any other suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks-Smiley
Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suggestions for overheating........

What kind of radiator are you running? If it's the stock single-core one, that could be the problem. Also, have you checked the water temp sensor to see if its defective?

No matter what, radiator ducting will help (sides, top and bottom). You can fab something simple up with sheet metal from Home Depot.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

^^^^ is problem air flow not radiator sucky fan and no air flow. it's obvious becuase he can take off the bumper.

I bet your fan sucks. You need a good puller fan. Search Spal fan and i promise you will find what you are looking for. I've done post on this. Tony1 turned me on to this fan and i made post and and did data on it. I guarantee it's your problem. you have heat under the hood temps that are high and a sucky fan and no ram air going to your radiator. Precision cores are extremely efficient but block tons of air

I will even provide you with the link.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/spal-13%22-fan-2371027/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/overheating-vented-hoods-overheating-vented-hoods%3Dreal-results-2370133/

and countless of other threads i've participated in. i will give you time to respond to this thread then i'll lock it
Old 07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so hybrid, how would the spal work as a pusher fan?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Garage 808 Hatch
so hybrid, how would the spal work as a pusher fan?
they sell a pusher version and a puller version.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am on a mishimoto half size dual core radiator. I have switched them out also to see if that was the problem. I started with a bullshit s blade fan on the front, due to no room with old mani, it sucked as a pusher, well just sucked period. Now I have a good fan, not spal or anyone, but huge differenence in air moving though, now on the back as a puller. So I have tried a new fan.

I was a little concerned about spending that kind of money on a spal, or even the mishimoto ones I was looking @ cuz they have a nice shroud setup. I just didn't want to spend that kind of moolah for a guess ya know??

I started with a ebay intercooler, the HUGE one and is like 4-5" thick, so I just thought I was blocking all my air. The precision size wise is alot smaller, so there is actually air getting in there now. I have been thinkin bout fabbin up some sheet metal or allum., and blocking off the right side where there is nothing. I figured if I did that if will FORCE the air coming in to go to the radiator.

Are the spals REALLY the big of a diff.?? I mean I want to try one, but again I am done spending money on this stupid never ending problem. Just sucks cuz I know it's something stupid.....

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Remember air flow will follow the path of least resistance.
I would start by building those shrouds, see if you can find a thin plastic for mockup and see if it actually helps any, then i would fab something out of aluminum if it does.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Buying a good fan shroud on a turbo car isn't an option. If you want to deal with overheating you can continue buying the cheap stuff.

yes the spal makes that big of a difference. those threads show it. as long as you dont have any other issues It's a MUST imo.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Suspetise...

A fan is a fan, all you really need to be concerned with is CFM. My bet is on shrouding.

Edit: That's RADIATOR shrouding, not fan shrouding. Shrouding in front of the radiator, where it won't interfere with the turbo stuff.

I can't see the pics here at work, but this stuff should give you an idea:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=shroud
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=shroud

Last edited by Stinkycheezmonky; 07-06-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have similar issues which I must solve. From all my searching I keep coming up to the same common fix: Spal fan!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well read through all the posts about the spal, and hood venting. I can't bring myself to the hood venting, you should just not have to do that. I have friends with 9 sec street cars, one of which is a h22 boosted rex, that thing is crammed in there and no problems....

I think I will order the spal fan, and check out the mishimoto fan shroud kit. Unless you are making them, send me a pm with a price. That looks like it will def. help. That bothers me though, I'm thinkin that it's not so much of the air cooling with the bumper off, but more or less venting the heat. I just can't cut my hood to vent though. If anything I will try the spal setup, and cut the bumper alittle bit.

Thanks for the input on the spal though!!
Not sure how long it will take me to get the spal, but I will post up my "personal experience" with it, and how much cooler if it does.

IT BETTER!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 AM
official honda whore

a radiator fan shroud, spal 13" fan (even 12" is great) and some ducting to the radiator should solve alot of your problems
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

you dont have to vent your hood I did becuase of where i live. in texas it's almost a must. All i can say is what i have done works.

stinkycheez-yeah cfm is what makes the difference. I say spal becuase it produces the CFM's that work not only static CFM but even when CFM's drop while you are driving. It's just a good fan.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I serve phở for my babies

to keep things simple, your fan is pulling the air the right way right? it's not blowing towards the front of the car, but it's pulling the air in towards the rear?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After reading that the 13" spal fan moves 1710cfm I checked to see how much mine moves. I have the vs racing slim fan 12" which is rated at 1600cfm yet on hot days the car still overheats and I'm forced to turn on the heat in the car to bring my temps down.
You guys think adding a shroud will solve the problem or do you recommend getting the 13" spal with shroud?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

i say that fan is not flowing 1600cfm, especially moving. the fal fan flows more than that fan.

That's the fan VSracing sent to me to make a shroud. did a test with it and i could not keep my temps lower than 210 cruising and i told him no. The only time that fan did o.k. was on the dyno and tony said, your fan is gonna suck on the street. I said whatever. and he was right. Then i said, i'll buy a fal, still could not keep the temps below 206. then did the spal fan and temps didn't go above 185. the highest ive ever gotten the temps in my car was 193 while i was back to back running. at the track, didnt get higher than 192.

So do i think it will solve your issues, yes as long as there are no other issues.

This comes from expericnce and wasting money. If i had bought the=is fan the first time I wouldnt have wasted the money on the other fans
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thanks for wasting the money for me!!!.....lol

I hope it works man, I mean there are no other issues, and I gotta say upgrading to the fan i have made a big difference, so maybe a spal will.

Are you making shrouds for them, or does fal?? Like I said If you are, let me know I'm interested. Again thanks for the help, and adding those links. Sounds like that is my issue, as I have been through everything else, and it doesn't overheat with the bumper off so I am confident after seeing the temp drop you showed me.

Has anyone looked @ the mishimoto fan shroud kit?? I think it's like $180.00 for the fan, i think more similar to the fal fan though, and the shroud all together...

btw, yes the fan is pulling the air through the back side of radiator, not pushing back. I have it the right way, trust me I have tried everything in my power for the past 2 weeks to fix this thing!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Im having the same issue and hopefully the spal fan works for me as well. Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this same thing happens to me. car warms up after long drives on hot days. i now have a vented hood and spal fan on at 185* no shroud. car stays at 186-188* on normal says (70-80* ambient). car got to 203* once when it was like 95* out so i still have an airflow issue. with the bumper off the car has never gotten above 190*.

the spal fan is awesome and i think adding a shroud and turbo blanket will allow for extended drives on hot days with no further issues. last resort is cutting the bumper similar to hybridcivicls-t. $200 for a decent fan/shroud setup is well worth it IMO

EDIT: OP is this a silver EK hatch? pretty sure I met you in Hunt Valley once...
Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

yes Im adding a blanket when i rebuild my car.

Im sure it will help. but remember if you have a huge front mount and no air getting to the radiator such as an eg you need to relieve some of the heat in the bay.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, the FMIC isnt "huge" but it takes up the whole grill and its a thick pwr core so airflow is hurting. ill shoot you a PM next time i get paid for a spal shroud, i think thats the best next step. but i digress
Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wheres the best place to get a spal?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-h...ud-kit-92.html

This is the one I was talking about. I have been trying to give them a call and see what that fan is like. I'm sure it's not a spal, but would be nice if it was a decent fan.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the 12" mishimoto before i went to the spal. it wasnt keeping up, but the shroud may help considerably. their website says its rated at 933cfm and for the price i think you could do the spal w/shroud and have better results.

spal 13" can be found here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/13-SP...Q5fAccessories
or
http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size....html?cPath=33
Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the spal fans rule.

all of the cars that come through here with mishimoto stuff on them run considerably hotter than other set ups. dont know if its coincidence or not, but i doubt it.

a nice radiator and nice fan are not that expensive all things considered. sure a lot cheaper than smoking up a motor from running hot!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for overheating........