Notices

This is such a headache, SOMEONE HELP lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is such a headache, SOMEONE HELP lol

K this is newbish so if you don't want to help i understand...but anyway, im getting a new z6 this week that im swappin in my 4dr eg. i want to turbo it in a couple months but i figure while the engines out i should probably replace a couple things to get it turbo ready. so far i have:

Zex 593000 cam with a AEM cam gear (not going in till i turbo it)
new water pump/timing belt
all new gaskets
thinking i should be ok with stock pistons/valves/retainers..

I only wanna push like 8-10psi. my goals only around 170ish hp (maybe more later) but what else should be done? people are talkin about P&P head and sleeving but with only 8psi is all that extra stuff necessary? sorry for the noob question!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: This is such a headache, SOMEONE HELP lol

get a good ems system and a good tune
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

^^ like spoolin94ls mentioned...a good engine management system and tune and upgraded fuel setup (fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, injectors, etc)....along with an upgraded clutch kit if you haven't done so already. Running boost on a stock clutch isn't fun. Besides, it's 100x easier to change it when the motor is out. Don't forget to replace the rear main seal as well.

As for turbocharging the z6 on stock internals, you should be fine. Just don't try to go all crazy and try to run 20+ psi on it. Btw, don't waste your money on that crap AEM, B&M, or eBay fuel pressure regulator. Those are worthless junk. Get an "AEROMOTIVE" one from Summit Racing.

like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13101/?rtype=10
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel pressure regulator doesnt need to be changed out for a basic turbo setup, just save the money and leave the stock on in place, get a walbro fuel pump is all and some dsm injectors, stock engine is fine for mild boost. The cam is really unnessesary, just keep the stock cam in the motor and save the money. This is going to be abasic setup so keep it that way and it will stay reliable with a good tune and ems system. Ectune or hondata s300 are the way to go for ems. take some of that saved money and get yoru self an wideband

If you decide to get the cam then be sure to put in upgraded springs/retainers
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

leave it all stock and just tune it
and keep it under 180whp on a dynojet
the tooth picks they call rods like to snap lol.......
Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave it all stock except for the crankcase ventilation. Get a catch can setup for it so your not pushing boost into the crankcase. That motor stock will take upwards of 300whp with a good tune ive done quite a few over the years and they all still run. Had one guy just upgrade the rod bolts and springs/retainers it makes over 400whp on stock rods and has been running for about 5 years now. The key to a good boosted oem motor is the tune.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all that sounds good thanks guys. To nvturbo i was thinkin about puttin a stage 1 exedy clutch kit with a light weight flywheel in but that was before i thought about the turbo so should i go stage 2 or 3? or is 1 ok? im also ganna get a new intake manifold and new throttle body, and i was looking at hondata s300 and think i'm going to go with that.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found a FPR and a walbro fuel pump i like, but what size injectors should i go with? for now im only ganna go 8-10psi but i might up it (not by much) in a couple months
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You dont need a FPR....its useless for you. Walbro fuel pump is a good idea and 550cc injectors to 750cc would be fine. I usually go a little larger then needed on the injector but you could also get away with 440cc injectors if you find a good deal on them.
You need to get a catch can and vent the valve cover and crankcase to it so you dont pressurize the crankcase with boost. The only other thing I could possibly recommend is springs and retainers as a safety precaution but they are not needed if you stick to the stock redline. If you plan on revving the motor higher then stock I would also upgrade the rod bolts.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
Leave it all stock except for the crankcase ventilation. Get a catch can setup for it so your not pushing boost into the crankcase. That motor stock will take upwards of 300whp with a good tune ive done quite a few over the years and they all still run. Had one guy just upgrade the rod bolts and springs/retainers it makes over 400whp on stock rods and has been running for about 5 years now. The key to a good boosted oem motor is the tune.
a sohc vtec motor with stock bottom at 300whp? and 400whp with upgraded rod bolts?who is this guy,that s very rare............
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

^^^ Upgrade the rod bolts to make an extra 100HP....that's new to me. Tuning imports has changed that much over the years, I guess?? LOL