Notices

storage of car....what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 04:36 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storage of car....what to do....

looks like im going to the desert here soon, thank you George W Bush...extra money for me..but anyways...looking to be gone for about 6 months...wife doesnt drive my car..imthinking of putting it in storage..what would be the things i need to do?? i just changed my oil last week...should i leave it in there or drain it all out? also if i dont get indoor storage what do i need to do to get my car ready for the long wait outside..HELP!!!!

BTW its an integra turbo..built motor..if that means anything
Old 01-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: storage of car....what to do.... (B18C-RnVA)

just put it in storage w/ climate controlled areas or not even that.
i did that w/ mine for 6 months and it was fine.
u may need to charge ur battery when u get back tho.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:38 AM
New User

Default Re: storage of car....what to do.... (stick)

yeah, thanks Stick..ever comming back to va??
Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 AM

Default Re: storage of car....what to do.... (B18C-RnVA)

tony after putting your car in storage have your wife com by an started so often... and you should be fine Chris left his in storage also email him I know he ask a bunch of people about thins too before we left
Old 01-05-2003, 09:33 AM
New User

Default Re: storage of car....what to do.... (LJR-LUDE01)

Put it in storage, like an enclosed garage. CLimate controlled doesn't really matter unless it's 5+ years.

Put the car on 4 jack stands, completely suspended by the frame rails, not the suspension. Take the tires off. Stack the tires on their backs in a "tire totum" to keep them from settling, and being off weight when you get it back up and running. Might want to cover the tires with plastic to keep the moisture from getting to them, tuck the plastic under the bottom tire to seal em up.

Leave a FULL TANK of gas in it if it's under 1 year of storage. Might want to put some of that fuel treatment for stored cars in it just to be on the safe side.

Put a piece of cardboard under the engine to catch any drips even if you never noticed any. All fluids should be fine in the car, but you might want to drain the coolant JUST IN CASE because radiators will corrode with stagnant water. Disconnect the battery, but leave it under the hood, batteries will lose charge if left on concrete, FYI.

Pull the plugs, and put a tablespoon of oil down each cylinder to lube/seal the cylinders from rusting to the rings. Let the oil sit in the cylinder for a few minutes, then with the plugs OUT, crank over the engine for a few seconds to lube the entire cylinder surface.

I personally would reinstall the plugs afterward, but make SURE to leave a note on the dash to put more oil in, crank it over, and put the plugs back in once you're ready to drive it again.

You can leave the car without being cranked like this for some time, but I wouldn't do it for more than 1 year just in case.

I've been "storing" my Honda unintentionally for the last 3+ years, with MAYBE driving it for a month or 2 out of each of those years. Sucks to be me, but I've learned alot

I might have missed a step anywhere in this instruction manual, but In my head this sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:27 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: storage of car....what to do.... (SiR Kid)

thanks man, very informative post, i was curious to the steps needed also..