Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
mike93eh

Default Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe????

right now i am using my stock cat with 2.5" piping. greddy kit on d15b7 5.5 lbs.

question is...is it reccomended to get a high flow cat or test pipe. what are the pros and cons? is there a noticable increase in power? and would i have to re-tune e-manage? thanks!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (mike93eh)

Does your state have emissions testing? If not, then go with the test pipe. It is cheaper and less restrictive than a Cat. Emanage should be fine.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">right now i am using my stock cat with 2.5" piping. greddy kit on d15b7 5.5 lbs.

question is...is it reccomended to get a high flow cat or test pipe. what are the pros and cons? is there a noticable increase in power? and would i have to re-tune e-manage? thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

if u care about the environment then hi flow cat. there is actually a hole in the ozone layer that afffects people in southern tip of chili and skin cancer rates there are higher than anywhere else in the world.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (eMpAtHy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eMpAtHy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if u care about the environment then hi flow cat. there is actually a hole in the ozone layer that afffects people in southern tip of chili and skin cancer rates there are higher than anywhere else in the world.</TD></TR></TABLE>

One in the arctic too. The emissions of his little civic is not going to make a bit of difference when you see the **** china and india is putting out.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (Accord94DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Accord94DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One in the arctic too. The emissions of his little civic is not going to make a bit of difference when you see the **** china and india is putting out. </TD></TR></TABLE>
It is precisely this attitude that makes it necessary for states like California to impose strict emissions laws... because individuals like yourself aren't willing to take responsibility. Yes,other countries have horrible, horrible emissions... so what? That doesn't justify us trying to make things worse when it's so easy to get our power fix within certain boundaries.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (SiR Phil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It is precisely this attitude that makes it necessary for states like California to impose strict emissions laws... because individuals like yourself aren't willing to take responsibility. Yes,other countries have horrible, horrible emissions... so what? That doesn't justify us trying to make things worse when it's so easy to get our power fix within certain boundaries.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Awesome. It's ******* 35 degrees right now. The Ozone layer can go **** itself. I love global warming.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guarantee the amount of pollutants spewed from 1 tractor trailer is worth 100 civics without cats. Why don't they impose stricter laws on the heaviest polluters?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who cares about ozone, the government sure doesn't. The test pipe will be worth power that you can actually feel.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

i think the stock cat on mine hurt my top end. I would definatly go w/ a 2.5 high flow... it will quiet down your exhaust a bit too.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guarantee the amount of pollutants spewed from 1 tractor trailer is worth 100 civics without cats. Why don't they impose stricter laws on the heaviest polluters?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes! And those filthy europeans with their diesels!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah you man you may see a little gain in hp if you remove it but your gonna throw a code, and if you can live with that then its worth it i guess
Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Accord94DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome. It's ******* 35 degrees right now. The Ozone layer can go **** itself. I love global warming. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Cancer is pretty great too, I hear.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:38 AM
New User

Ya gotta love preachy environmentalists.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (TurboSedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya gotta love preachy environmentalists. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry to disappoint you pal, but if you think this is preachy, you've been living a sheltered life. I simply wanted to bring to bear the point that we have regulations, and to not follow them simply because other countries or vehicle classes don't is faulty logic. And to say "**** the ozone layer" just reeks of self-centred narrowmindedness.

Personally, I know of a lot of people who run without cats, and you know what... I know I can't do much about it. In fact, I rarely, if ever, bring this sort of thing up. I make a conscious decision to abide by certain personal standards, but I'm not going to impose them upon others. I only brought it up this time because of people taking the stance that "well, it won't really matter much" or "look at Europe and Asia." Dogs **** all the time on peoples' lawns, does that mean you should, too?

Bottom line; if you choose to run without a cat, that's fine. Just realize that small or not, it is a contributing factor to a greater problem. Just my .02

/end rant
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM

I have a pretty big stand against the scare tactics of environmentalists, but I just will say one thing that ALL scientists agree on:

We simply don't know if we (humans) are actually causing an effect on global warming. We don't have enough data to prove if this is a normal trend or indeed is us. Either way the facts prove that we are polluting less and less every year.

Back to the topic, Hi-flow cats are great because they are dyno proven to provide very minimal losses in HP. I will try to find a graph of this...if it's still posted. The guy was maiking around 260 HP i believe and he only lost 5hp or so...nothin major.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (adseguy)

^^^ well as an earth science major i can tell you that we are the problem. global warming is caused by an excess of C02 in the trophoshere from fossil fuels being burned and as humans we are also the only thing on this earth that has no positive effect on the earth, so to say it isnt us is extreamly fasle.
And your saying that someone lost hp with a highflow cat???
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (urbansi)

I saw a dyno somewhere of a test pipe vs. a random tech cat and the test pipe only had a 2 whp gain way up top
Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (_gurusan_)

was this on a FI car or a NA car???
Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

carsound cat isn't all that bad.. i made 260whp at 10psi with smallest of t3/t04b, step above t3 super60.. i got bout 25k miles on it, its not all that bad. say i loose 10-15hp by running high flow cat, i can regain that hp by turning up the boost by 1psi.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a pretty big stand against the scare tactics of environmentalists, but I just will say one thing that ALL scientists agree on:

We simply don't know if we (humans) are actually causing an effect on global warming. We don't have enough data to prove if this is a normal trend or indeed is us. Either way the facts prove that we are polluting less and less every year.

Back to the topic, Hi-flow cats are great because they are dyno proven to provide very minimal losses in HP. I will try to find a graph of this...if it's still posted. The guy was maiking around 260 HP i believe and he only lost 5hp or so...nothin major. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thank you. Now this is a post that, while I may not necessarily entirely agree with, I can respect the point of view. I say "thank you" because between the earlier fucktard who said to hell with the ozone layer and some asshat in a different thread saying some guy was "jewish" with his car, I was beginning to think everyone here was an *******. And FYI... I'm not politically correct in the LEAST.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a pretty big stand against the scare tactics of environmentalists, but I just will say one thing that ALL scientists agree on:

We simply don't know if we (humans) are actually causing an effect on global warming. We don't have enough data to prove if this is a normal trend or indeed is us. Either way the facts prove that we are polluting less and less every year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Energy Imbalance Behind Global Warming

Soot Could Hasten Melting of Arctic Ice

Not ALL scientists agree, but the data is stacking up against humans

I run a testpipe but I'm thinking of buying a bike and using the car on weekends I'm already quitting my job and getting a job closer to where I live in order to decrease travel time.

It's funny but if it wasn't for local emissions testing I WOULD run a cat all the time. It just so happens I can't stomach replacing my cat every year to pass some pulled-out-of-their-*** figure for emissions, so I remove the cat yearly, put it on the car, pass emissions, go home, and swap back to the testpipe.

A catalytic converter is for cleaning up combustion that has already happened; if your engine is tuned right, you can be clean enough without one to pass emissions tests.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (raene)

humans are the reason for the earths warming. the green house effect although a normal event is ampified by humans pouring high amounts of polluants into the atmosphere. for every person that says oh i am just one person it makes no difference, there is 50 others, and 2,000 others. Run a cat, cuz when the ozone depleats in an area that SOME PEOPLE may highly populate, its gonna matter that those 50 or 2,000 people contributed to something that takes years to reverse.
cat
test pipe
without the ozone we can't survive, and if your not around,you cant enjoy your car!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe???? (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">without the ozone we can't survive, and if your not around,you cant enjoy your car!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait a hundred years, we'll be out of fossil fuel anyway.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:13 PM
mike93eh

okay so you people are saying you lose HP with a high flow cat or test pipe? wtf? i thought they gave you HP???

if they make you lose HP then why put them on and just keep the stock cat?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

heres a breakdown:

TESTPIPE &gt; High Flow Cat &gt; Stock Cat.. Testpipe = empty = exhaust tubing, so least restrictive

Quick Reply: Stock Cat, High Flow Cat, Test Pipe????