Notices

Standalone face-off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 08:49 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone face-off!

It's the D16 guy again.

Now I'm cross comparing standalone systems to have the most flexibility and least pain in the *** to install. I have a 99 EX, and I'm wondering who offers ECUs that'll work for me. I was most interested in the gold version Zdyne ECU, but I don't think they have an application for the EK Civics.

Any input? Electromotive, DFI, TEC-III, AEM, etc?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (PyroVTEC)

you'l get a mixed up reactionsjust simply most peeps will like what they currently are using...
try to do a search using each standalone as the keyword, then take down a few notes and compare...

also find out who has what, get in contact, find out what feature is he/she are actually using and what they wish they have then compare notes again...

otherwise you are just strating a war over shiets that has been discussed over and over again..

also, I'd get a standalone that someone near by me has or will be getting, that way you can compare notes in real time...instead of try to describe it over the internet or etc..

HTH

stan

Old 12-05-2001, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run DFI but if I suddenly won the lottery I would go get FELPRO, it is without a doubt the best system out there (unless you won two lotteries and can afford F1 style MoTec) it is for the professional user, way to many options and tables that you dont want to get into. I think the base FELPRO is still a sequential system so right there you have yuor bonus.
Dont get me wrong DFI is great, but it is old fashioned, as for AEM it is yet to be proven, looks like its based on old GEMS box, but is also sequential with upgrade.
Haltech is good for people that like graphs and can see a 2D image in 3D (i cant), TEC sorry, not enough experience, but I like the crank trigger idea.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (rtype11)

if you could hold out,get the play and plug AEM ECU thats coming out for your car,you dont have to touch one wire,just replace the OEM ECU with the AEM
Old 12-05-2001, 12:14 PM
New User

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (D-Man)

rtype11, I've heard rumors that the new AEM box is going to be a "plug and play Motec"

Apparently one of the creators of the boxes made by AEM is one of the design engineers from Motec, and they are looking to make it the BEST on the market for Plug and Play tunability.

Shhhhhh! It's a secret

BTW, One of my good friends who owned a shop here in Memphis has an upper tier Motec <able to control 32 individual injectors YUMMY!> and got it out of a Race engineering Viper Cup car for next to nothing. I can't wait to see his Civic with it on there...... DROOL. It even has TRACTION CONTROL..... UGH.

[Modified by SiR Kid, 3:15 PM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (SiR Kid)

The AEM system is based on the GEMS system. It even has GEMS file names in the demo. Sorry, it's not Motec.

He said he's looking for easy installation, which pretty much rules out most standalones. All you're left with is ZDyne, Hondata, and the new AEM.

FelPro is the old name, then it went to SpeedPro, then it went to FAST (Fuel Air Spark Tech). The base FAST system is bank to bank, not sequential, but you can get it with a Honda terminated engine harness. You'll still have to run wires, but it's not that hard to install. You can get sequential for a few hundred $$ more.

TECII may be an option. It's pretty easy to snap in, since it's pretty basic. The hardest part is screwing with the crank trigger. They do have bolt on cam triggers for some engines, though.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (SiR Kid)

rtype11, I've heard rumors that the new AEM box is going to be a "plug and play Motec"

Apparently one of the creators of the boxes made by AEM is one of the design engineers from Motec, and they are looking to make it the BEST on the market for Plug and Play tunability.

Shhhhhh! It's a secret
im not sure which it is... but i think aem bought the gems name as well as the set up... or they are using the same programs just under a new name and modified a little...

to my knowledge though the "gems" namje is not going to be around for much longer... not as if most people heard of it anyway... nice upgrade for dsm's though... "how do u have a map sensor and a stock ecu without a vpc"
Old 12-05-2001, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (ek9t)

I think you should be the standalone brand which your tuner is best known. Hence, what can the best system do for you when your tuner does´nt know what to do.

Buy Hondata when you have a Hondata dealer - tuner
Buy Speedpro when you have a Speedpro dealer - tuner
Buy Haltech when................
Old 12-05-2001, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (austrian ITR)

If you're OBD1 D16, go with Hondata.

OBD0, go with Zdyne.

Easy as cake and takes 15 minutes to install. AEM is not out yet so not an option at this point.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (AshlandSi)

I'm OBD-II! What now??

And how exactly do y'all smog your cars when it's time???
Old 12-10-2001, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey pyro if you found an answer to your question let know cause i'm looking for one too! right now my option is honda link from link electromotive products.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:44 PM

OBD-II, not sure but I believe the new AEM system is obd2 compatible. However if you dont like that system or dont want to wait, best bet would be an obd2 to obd1 adaptor harness, they're about $200-250.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Standalone face-off! (98hx99b18c)

OBD-II, not sure but I believe the new AEM system is obd2 compatible. However if you dont like that system or dont want to wait, best bet would be an obd2 to obd1 adaptor harness, they're about $200-250.
from what I've heard about the AEM it will plug into your OBD 2 ECU as well.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Standalone face-off! (BlueShadow)

What can I say? Link Engine Management. Its famous in the Miata area, now its just getting noticed with Honda's, Nissans and Subaru's. Features which can match a Haltech, and can do everything that a full-stage hondata can do. Plus its practically plug'n'play - replace the board inside your stock ECU with the Link board. No one will even know you have changed your ECU. Tuning done by keypad or PC, its up to you. Price is cheap. A lot cheaper than a Hondata (which seems to be all the HYPE right now). No need to burn roms like you do with a Hondata either

here's a link to their american distributer:
http://www.carmodifications.com

just noticed that they have a special deal going on now too - hOndaLink standalone ECU, plug'n'play, for only US$866.

[Modified by nathan's boosted civic, 7:19 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (nathan's boosted civic)

Ya I was looking heavily into the Link system. I just cant afford it right now. I'll have it by Febuary hopefuly.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you actually have any solid info on the Integra Link? Everything you say about it seems to be just guessing. Even their own page doesn't have alot of information on actual features.

Features which can match a Haltech
Do you actually know what the features of the Haltech are or are you just guessing at this? Just with my limited research on the Link I can list features that the Haltech has that the base link system does not have.

From the website:
Introductory Price now only $866
Requires Remote Tuning Module
Introductory Price $220
If it requires the remote tuning module for $220.00 that makes it $1086.00, not really $866.00.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (DirtyLude)

Go Haltech,Gen 7 DFI, or Hondata. Bascally its whoever is near your house. If the tuner near your house like dfi, then go dfi. If he like Haltech, then go haltech. Its just a matter of preference. Air fuel Mixture is Air Fuel. The new DFI looks good, Windows based. Haltech is easy to tune,(bar graphs). AEM is new plug and play system, that requires very little tunning. Up to you man. Way out your options. AEM looks pretty good though, All you need to do is plug it up to your factory harness and your all ready to go. Check out AEM's site and read up on it.

I'm personally going with dfi, or haltech, or aem.

DFI Gen 7 -= 32 bit system. (new windows based, faster and easier) (CHEAP)
Haltech - 16 bit system (user friendly and easy to tune)(CHEAPER)
AEM - 32 bit system. (plug and play system)(CHEAPEST)

hondata and zendyn and others I have no clue. 32 Bit systems run much faster then older 16 bit systems.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:20 AM
New User

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (austrian ITR)

I think you should be the standalone brand which your tuner is best known. Hence, what can the best system do for you when your tuner does´nt know what to do.

Buy Hondata when you have a Hondata dealer - tuner
Buy Speedpro when you have a Speedpro dealer - tuner
Buy Haltech when................

that is good advice.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (jinxproof99)

DFI Gen 7 -= 32 bit system. (new windows based, faster and easier) (CHEAP)
Haltech - 16 bit system (user friendly and easy to tune)(CHEAPER)
AEM - 32 bit system. (plug and play system)(CHEAPEST)
Haltech E6K uses a Motorola 32-bit @ 33MHz

..and I would have to rate the E6K as the cheapest at $1100.00. If you don't install it yourself the installation will be murder, though. Definitely doesn't compare to the plug and play installations of the Link/AEM systems.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Standalone face-off! (DirtyLude)

Well i was including install and tune with all the products. After all its said and done.. AEM would be the cheapest becuase you can install yourelf and then get it tunned.

Old 12-11-2001, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you Pyro with my 98 EX-T
Old 12-12-2001, 05:29 PM
New User

Now that's a standalone I like!
I just wish there was the option to tune from a laptop PC. It does not appear that there's an application available yet for Hondas--you gotta use their proprietary controller to do so.

I'm just wondering if Link has the ability to control larger injectors (550s soon)?
Old 12-12-2001, 05:36 PM

The AEM replaces the ecu and must be programmed on a window's based system (p100 mhz min) which includes a laptop. Just because its plug-n-play don't fool yourself into thinking that the tuning will be just as simple. You can download the software from AEM and import a Pro EFI map in order to play with the software.

[Modified by 98Psi ITR, 6:39 PM 12/12/2001]