Notices

SSAC wastegate failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSAC wastegate failure?

Has anyone here seen first had, failure of a SSAC/XS power wastegate?
I know the general census of there gear on this site just, and ive done some searching but didnt find anyone that had a failed gate
Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SSAC wastegate failure? (jackmeholf)

mine took a **** on me, hit 14 psi, blew the HG.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: SSAC wastegate failure? (Got_soy)

how long did u run it?
which gate 35,38,40,46,50,60?
what went on it the diaphgram? (is it possible that you pinched the diaphgram if so?)
Old 04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is risking your engine worth saving $100?? Unless you're running on a D series, i would think the answer to that would be "no." Just get a Tial and you'll never have to worry about it again..
Old 04-08-2007, 01:58 PM

I completely understand the risks and cost $.
im wondering how many people have actually had there wastegate fail and cause damage.
Theres alot of people here that hate ssac, which isnt the pinnacle of quality, but there are other auto enthusiasts that just love the gate and other parts they manufacture.
So again i know tial makes a great product and is well worth the $ and i am not looking for someone to sell me on the ssac gate being good or bad as i have my opnion already.
I just want to know how many people have actually had there wastegate fail.
Im not researching the quality of the ssac gate ive read what people have to say about it, now i want to know whos used it and had it fail
Old 04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a very simple mechanical device. The only things that can really go wrong are leakage around the valve seal (slow spool), the diaphram breaking (overboost, which any idiot can protect against), and spring breakage (no boost; replace with real tial spring). To be honest, 2/3 of the problems can be solved with Tial parts, all for half the price total of a new Tial.

The ebay wastegate I'm using for mock-up uses all stainless hardware/casting, aluminum upper housings, and real silicone molded diaphram. I'm thinking about putting a torch on the diaphram to test it, as well as load it with 40psi to see how it does.

BTW there are low quality ebay WG's, and then there's **** quality ebay WG's.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

screw fell out of piston in wastegate and it did not open needless to say it cracked my sleeve in my gsr i fixed this with loctite and have not had a problem since
Old 04-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

38mm,
Diaphram wasnt pinched, it blew out in a weak spot. shitty diaphram, shitty product. I wouldn't waste my time sponsoring the Peoples Republic of China.

Buy a TiAL, support a company that supports you.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sold mines for a TiAL before the headaches started.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teddy_dc2)

You need to open it when it arrives and double check the diaphram is properly seated,bolts tight etc.I have used many as well as quite a few people i know and never a problem Any one who doesnt bother to check assembly on a chinese part would probably blow a motor regardless due to stupidity.I did have to replace a diaphram once it was pinched and could have caused problems as it was almost torn
Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90dxhmt)

Old 04-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (taggart_lumpy)

Tial 38mm ftw
Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SSAC wastegate failure? (boostinnc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostinnc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw fell out of piston in wastegate and it did not open needless to say it cracked my sleeve in my gsr i fixed this with loctite and have not had a problem since</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch, and to think that a simple boost cut feature would have saved your block. Sorry to hear man.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my diaphram on my POS SSAC gate fucked off on me, and all the little hex nuts would back off....

GARBAGE.... period

TIAL FTMFW
Old 04-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is risking your engine worth saving $100?? Unless you're running on a D series, i would think the answer to that would be "no." Just get a Tial and you'll never have to worry about it again..</TD></TR></TABLE>or you could try boost cut in your rom editor and not break anything if the WG fails...

i've ran 2 of these WGs with no issues, and am currently fabbing up my 3rd setup and will be using one as well. there are a lot of high hp setups running these things with no issues...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ryan89crx)

why bother being stubborn about it just to save a couple $$$

why do people have to try to prove to others that their cheap **** is great..
Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why bother being stubborn about it just to save a couple $$$

why do people have to try to prove to others that their cheap **** is great.. </TD></TR></TABLE>how is using the features of your rom editor being stubborn? i would use boost cut even if i was running an authentic Tial...

you dont get it, they work fine. and if i can save almost $200 on a product that will work perfect in my car, im going to do it.

and what do you mean "prove to others that their cheap **** is great"? in case you didnt know, the OP asked for first hand experience. and guess what? i have first hand experience, which has nothing to do with your "opinion"
Old 04-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont get it, they work fine. and if i can save almost $200 on a product that will work perfect in my car, im going to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess melting diaphragms/torn diaphragms, bolts that back out, poor casting, cheap air fittings, china quality represents "works perfect"? also having to remachine the fake 44mm because the clamps don't fit from the 'factory' see here:

also note the great de-burring job they did LOL

by the time you get done fixing everything that goes wrong with the gate you will have spend 2x the price of one real TiAL
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM

my ssac wastegate would not hold the right boost on my boosted prelude. even changing springs didnt make a difference. bought a tial, rock steady 8psi.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryan89crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is using the features of your rom editor being stubborn? i would use boost cut even if i was running an authentic Tial...

you dont get it, they work fine. and if i can save almost $200 on a product that will work perfect in my car, im going to do it.

and what do you mean "prove to others that their cheap **** is great"? in case you didnt know, the OP asked for first hand experience. and guess what? i have first hand experience, which has nothing to do with your "opinion"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont get it???

Ive ALSO had 1st hand experience with the **** not working right and falling apart...
therefore, it is ****.... im not the only one...

Some people put lots of money in their setups, why cheap out on such a crutial part of it, i guess ill never understand that

Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont get it???

Ive ALSO had 1st hand experience with the **** not working right and falling apart...
therefore, it is ****.... im not the only one...

Some people put lots of money in their setups, why cheap out on such a crutial part of it, i guess ill never understand that

</TD></TR></TABLE>i guess i forgot to consult you on what products i buy, considering that your say is all that matters right? since you had an issue, that means that the opinion of everyone that has not had any problems doesnt mean ****?

i better tell that to the 2 WGs that worked perfect. hell, i better run over to drunkinmaster1's house and tell him to pull the knockoff off his 405hp sohc because you said it sucks. or maybe over to bizzar's and have him trade out his WG on his 350+hp sohc that has been running a knockoff at that hp level for over 30,000 miles

god damn, i wish they would have all spoke to you first on what you say works and doesnt
Old 04-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

typical "I buy cheap **** and it works good" attitude...

congratulations, you got some garbage to work for you and your buddies

now what about the NUMEROUS amounts of people that had one blow up on them and not function properly...

sorry man, you cant convince me to buy that garbage... keep gettin mad at me for it..
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">typical "I buy cheap **** and it works fine" attitude...

congratulations, you got some garbage to work for you and your buddies

now what about the NUMEROUS amounts of people that had one blow up on them and not function properly... </TD></TR></TABLE>and you have the typical "money makes me cool" attitude

you go spend $700 on a manifold and $3-400 on a WG, then you can sit there with a manifold and WG in your hands while ill be driving around town boosted for less than you spent
Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 AM
KOBE IS GOD

On my DA in 06 I ran it for about a year and I never spiked or had any problems with it. It was a hand me down from one of my friends. It worked pretty good. I have nothing bad to say about it.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Leo`)

tial = lifetime warranty, come on now, you cant beat that, ive used it first hand.

Quick Reply: SSAC wastegate failure?