Notices

Spoolin log manifold issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spoolin log manifold issues...

This manifold is labeled as being "A/C compatible" on the Spoolin website but I am not seeing how there is any way in hell its going to allow me to get my turbo even on the manifold without hitting the consensor and the fan. This is a D16Y8 in an EK hatch with the Spoolin log manifold and a Garrett T3/T4 57 trim .60/.48.. Am I missing something here? Anyone have a picture of this manifold on a D with A/C?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Spoolin log manifold issues...

A/C compatible on ANY kit still means you may have to do a little trim work on the fan shroud, or on other plastic pieces. this is understood in the Honda/Turbo industry. Something has to move, so builders go for what is easiest to alter. That, or go with a T04B compressor cover.

Even "bolt on" turbo kits, have a few tweaks for fans and other equipment.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2758799

This is THE manifold and turbo (the one in the bag) that I bought. He claims he used it with an A/C setup. I know he was running that used turbo on the manifold which should be similar in size to the one I have...

Perhaps I just need to clock the turbo? Turbos can be clocked in any direction correct? So long as the oil supply and drain remain vertical?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its hitting the fan shrouds u can either cut them or get slimmer fans...
Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this your first turbo kit ?? have you even test fitted it yet ? if so put pics of how you fitted it .
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
HT's TOP CHEF

Probably just need a slim fan.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
I am not seeing how there is any way in hell its going to allow me to get my turbo even on the manifold without hitting the consensor and the fan.
Two words here that leads me to assume you havent tried a test fit yet. But I could be wrong. Have you? Just asking.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2758799

This is THE manifold and turbo (the one in the bag) that I bought. He claims he used it with an A/C setup. I know he was running that used turbo on the manifold which should be similar in size to the one I have...

Perhaps I just need to clock the turbo? Turbos can be clocked in any direction correct? So long as the oil supply and drain remain vertical?

Call up Spoolin and talk to them.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
Two words here that leads me to assume you havent tried a test fit yet. But I could be wrong. Have you? Just asking.
I have put the manifold on, yes. I can clearly see this huge turbo isn't going to fit in the 3" space I have left. These log manifolds seem to have the turbo moved up and out towards the front of the car. Spoolin just says perhaps some clocking is in order. I will try and see what I can come up with. Would really like to keep the A/C if I can...

Anyone know a good way to make a template for a downpipe? I could order the bends and weld it myself, but I am not sure what angles I would need. I would need a way to make a rough casting so I could fabricate the downpipe. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Send the manifold and turbo to Spoolin and have him make the downpipe for you. You clearly are in over your head. Was Spoolin even able to confirm this is one of their manifolds that is AC compatible? That downpipe looked like a home made jobber.

You should also take some pictures of the manifold and turbo in the car.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nowtype
Send the manifold and turbo to Spoolin and have him make the downpipe for you. You clearly are in over your head. Was Spoolin even able to confirm this is one of their manifolds that is AC compatible? That downpipe looked like a home made jobber.

You should also take some pictures of the manifold and turbo in the car.
No, spoolin cannot confirm that. The manifolds are all different by the sounds of it. "Clearly in over my head"?? Yeah. I can't handle welding some pipe and putting a turbo on. You hit the nail on the head. I shouldn't have asked for any advice I guess because then I would be "in over my head".

That downpipe IS a home made design. I didn't like the construction of it, so I never bought it. He want $200 to make a downpipe plus I have to ship off my manifold. I figured I could get some bends and weld the pipe myself for far less. Just because I don't have a pipe bender doesn't mean I am in over my head, does it?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ Thats what I would try first. Good ol trial & error. ^^^

Depending on how far into the bend you make the cut will determmine whether or not it will clear. Pre-made bends have very wide radiuses. keep us updated.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, spoolin cannot confirm that. The manifolds are all different by the sounds of it. "Clearly in over my head"?? Yeah. I can't handle welding some pipe and putting a turbo on. You hit the nail on the head. I shouldn't have asked for any advice I guess because then I would be "in over my head".

That downpipe IS a home made design. I didn't like the construction of it, so I never bought it. He want $200 to make a downpipe plus I have to ship off my manifold. I figured I could get some bends and weld the pipe myself for far less. Just because I don't have a pipe bender doesn't mean I am in over my head, does it?
You're in over your head because you have to ask; yes. If you weren't, then you'd realize how ridiculous this thread is. It's one thing to see you in the welding/fab forum asking for help because you're stuck with a bend or a welding process. It's a completely different thing to post this.

My advice is to give Spoolin the business and have him make a downpipe for you. Take it or leave it. It's no skin off my back. From what I can see, fabbing a downpipe is just going to cause you more headaches than you are equipped to handle.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I speak from personal experience when i say that Phil (spoolin) is the man and will get you squared away for sure given the chance to do so. He recently fabbed a log manifold/downpipe/recirculated dumptube (ef chasis) and the fitment was simply AMAZING. As has been stated earlier some mods are gonna have to be made to even the best fitting a/c compatible setup. Give Phil a chance man, i'm sure he will get you straightened out.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nowtype
You're in over your head because you have to ask; yes. If you weren't, then you'd realize how ridiculous this thread is. It's one thing to see you in the welding/fab forum asking for help because you're stuck with a bend or a welding process. It's a completely different thing to post this.

My advice is to give Spoolin the business and have him make a downpipe for you. Take it or leave it. It's no skin off my back. From what I can see, fabbing a downpipe is just going to cause you more headaches than you are equipped to handle.
Rediculous to ask people who have the manifold to post some pictures of it on the same engine? Rediculous to ask a general population who has more experience with fabrication then I for advice? I didn't think so. In fact, I thought that was the whole point of this forum. To SHARE information. If you think its lame or whatever, why bother responding? I didn't post here to ask if I could be criticized for what I do an don't know. You don't know me or my capabilities, but you pass judgement off one post? Come on man, lets keep this a little more mature then that.

I am sure Spoolin WOULD get me squared away, thats not my concern. I put the manifold on my engine with the engine in the car and I can CLEARLY see that this turbo isn't going to even come close to fitting... Sorry, I shouldn't have posted with the hope that someone would enlighten me as to something I may have overlooked. Thats just plain rediculous. Instead, I should sit in the garage and cut 90% of my air conditioning system away, destroying the system, to only find out that I still needed to remove it anyways. THAT would be the thing to do if I wanted to show people I wasn't "in over my head".... right?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please tell me your trying to bolt the turbo with the compressor facing the passenger side. if not then i agree with what nowtype is saying.

Post pictures because words mean nothing in trying to get help here.