Notices

spin a turbo by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spin a turbo by hand?

So me n some friends were talking about this the other day and we thought it would be funny to see if we could get a turbo to spool with out the use of a motor. Is it possible? Can this be done using something like an air nozzle and a really big compressor tank? I know its a stupid/silly question but I figured there's a few other nuts out there who would think of **** like this
Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: spin a turbo by hand?

yes, and you'll be destroying your turbo in the process by using an air compressor nozzle. The turbo should NOT be spun dry without proper oil lubrication. you will destroy the bearing system that way.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Well obviously id have some type of lubrication system setup on the dam thing lol. But could you hear it spool from the pressure coming out of the nozzle?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try it and tell us what happens
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackmugensivic
Try it and tell us what happens
x2
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyEUf3DBodg
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ HAHAH
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM

You smart ***! Is that a ball bearing turbo?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

omg I want it ^^^^
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have used a leaf blower on a small dsm turbo and a ebay 57 trimm and u can hear them lol

i also hooked the dsm turbo to the 57 trimm with some hose and duck tape and it was funny but worked
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

^ you need a job lol
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If properly lubricated with grease (white lithium grease may be good enough) that should be enough to protect the shaft. Just don't do it for very long. The turbine and compressor are under light load so you should be OK. Just don't blame me if it blows up.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 AM

Use ATF fluid or actual motor oil. Do not use lithium grease, please.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Use ATF fluid or actual motor oil. Do not use lithium grease, please.
Why is that?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP go die that was the dumbest question ive ever heard, your the type of dude who turbo's the car just for the sound of a BOV...fail
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
Why is that?
The lithium grease compound will completely adhear to the metal of the turbine shaft. The coating will have the opposite affect of properly lubricating the turbine shaft by the engine oil when it is assembled and used, and will prevent the "splaying" of the oil within the cartridge system. Lithium grease also has a tendency to "clog" the oil apetures of the thrust bearing system, possibly causing damage. It will also void ANY warranties implied by the manufacturer or retailer you bought it from.

If you have to "fondle" your turbo before assembly, use a little motor oil or ATF fluid (if being stored) and twist by hand. Don't try and use compressed air or other means to spin the turbo "dry". The videos that you've seen where that has been done were on turbos that were ALREADY DAMAGED from some other cause. You don't see too many videos of people doing that to NEW units. It was because they were instructed NOT to.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i took my first ebay turbo from back in the day (currently mounted on the wall of my garage) and put the air on it one day, the thing screams. lol

but its junk, i would never do it to any other turbo
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by cooljnateman
OP go die that was the dumbest question ive ever heard, your the type of dude who turbo's the car just for the sound of a BOV...fail
Who ever told you that is a dumb ***, and what ever you believe about other people before actually meeting a person makes you even MORE of a dumb *** for agreeing without knowing me. You sir are one gullable little kid, OR a very stupid adult whose thoughts can be easily changed by what some one else says.

Now.....on to a more mature, logical adult conversation.

The lithium grease compound will completely adhear to the metal of the turbine shaft. The coating will have the opposite affect of properly lubricating the turbine shaft by the engine oil when it is assembled and used, and will prevent the "splaying" of the oil within the cartridge system. Lithium grease also has a tendency to "clog" the oil apetures of the thrust bearing system, possibly causing damage. It will also void ANY warranties implied by the manufacturer or retailer you bought it from.

If you have to "fondle" your turbo before assembly, use a little motor oil or ATF fluid (if being stored) and twist by hand. Don't try and use compressed air or other means to spin the turbo "dry". The videos that you've seen where that has been done were on turbos that were ALREADY DAMAGED from some other cause. You don't see too many videos of people doing that to NEW units. It was because they were instructed NOT to.
Honestly it really dosent matter to me. I'm most likely going to get the dam thing rebuilt. Any ways. From what one of my old bosses was saying when I brought the turbo up to his shop, that he could visually see about .040 of play in the shaft. Which kind of bothered me. So I took it back to another shop and they said it was ok to run. So I'm playing it safe and going ahead and getting it rebuilt. I'm also doing some research to see is I can hybrid the turbo and put a bigger compressor wheel and/or housing
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM

cool. Now you're thinking. Your rebuild costs may drop simply because you didn't perform this stunt and were able to save some parts for any "upgrades" that you might consider.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM

cool. Now you're thinking. Your rebuild costs may drop simply because you didn't perform this stunt and were able to save some parts for any "upgrades" that you might consider.
where do you think i could get "parts/upgrades" for this pre 07 turbo?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 PM

depends upon what turbo it is, and what you're trying upgrade to, I may be able to help. THe year isn't as important as to the application. If it is an OEM turbocharger, there are few upgrades on most models, and those tend to be more expensive.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I disagree, although it may not be the best choice of grease. A high pressure grease like moly lube may be better. The grease doesn't work by sticking to the shaft. A sleeve bearing works on the principal of hydrodynamic lubrication. The shaft will ride in a film of grease and center itself. Since it is under no real load the shaft *should* never make metal to metal contact.

In reality if he is planning on using this turbo, I would not recommend trying this. Why risk it? But if he is going to toss it, why not satisfy his natural curiosity. Guys all like seeing mechanical systems work and seeing it work will give him a better understanding of how a turbo works.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cooljnateman
HAHAHA! what a post...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
I disagree, although it may not be the best choice of grease. A high pressure grease like moly lube may be better. The grease doesn't work by sticking to the shaft. A sleeve bearing works on the principal of hydrodynamic lubrication. The shaft will ride in a film of grease and center itself. Since it is under no real load the shaft *should* never make metal to metal contact.

In reality if he is planning on using this turbo, I would not recommend trying this. Why risk it? But if he is going to toss it, why not satisfy his natural curiosity. Guys all like seeing mechanical systems work and seeing it work will give him a better understanding of how a turbo works.
I understand your disagreement, but you should see the number of rebuilds that I've done with alternative "lubricants" like Lithium grease would do to the system. Moly lube, organic motor oil, all are good alternatives
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shift the only thing u got right is im young yah im 18 and in highschool suck my BAWLS, why would u do that to a turbo...and the reason i say this is because im boosted go look for my build thread dumbbbyy, u prob like jdm **** to .... haha clown

Quick Reply: spin a turbo by hand?