Notices

SOHC TURBO...N E ONE???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC TURBO...N E ONE???

BOUT TO GET MY SET UP DONE....IT'S IN THE MACHINE SHOP RIGHT NOW.....BULDING MY BOTTOM......D16z6....so anyone know how much power these bad boy puts out??? can i get a ball park number??? or some times of SOHC 1/4 miles* FI*......
BULIT BOTTOM, just no sleeves....a lot of peeps told me i didn't need to sleeve...
..... the .2 oversize piston ..rods, blah blah.... keeping head stock, talked to some professional builders and they told me it dosen't matter how high i rev....the max drop off of power through out the band would still be the same.........so reving it to like 7500......stock red line would be kool ....... but yeah, i just want some ball park numbers and time.....anyone??
Old 03-02-2004, 08:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (kiddcheng)

need more then that to be able to figure out how much your gonna put out.. ive seeen some1 posted like almost 400 whp on a single cam
Old 03-03-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (ShowTymers619)

damn...400 hp...dude.....half that would be awsome....thanks though
Old 03-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use the search button. there have been alot of sohc threads lately.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (Gravy)

waht do you guys think of my sohc built? Anyone with an idea of what kinds of power/time my motor will put out on the dyno and 1/4 mile?

<U>1992 Civic Si Turbo</U> Boosting 9psi
Mods:
Greddy Turbo, Ported Head, JG Throttle Body, JE 9:1 C/R Pistons, Eagle Rods, Greddy 2mm Headgasket, Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Type-24V Intercooler, 2 1/2" mandrel bent straightpipe, Fluidyne Radiator, 12" Fluidyne Fan, Greddy Profec-B Boost Controller
Old 03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (Eg4-TuRbO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eg4-TuRbO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">waht do you guys think of my sohc built? Anyone with an idea of what kinds of power/time my motor will put out on the dyno and 1/4 mile?

Mods:
Greddy Turbo, Ported Head, JG Throttle Body, JE 9:1 C/R Pistons, Eagle Rods, Greddy 2mm Headgasket, Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Type-24V Intercooler, 2 1/2" mandrel bent straightpipe, Fluidyne Radiator, 12" Fluidyne Fan, Greddy Profec-B Boost Controller</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont knoe but i will like to know
my setup is very close to that
Old 03-03-2004, 02:25 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiddcheng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.... keeping head stock, talked to some professional builders and they told me it dosen't matter how high i rev....the max drop off of power through out the band would still be the same.........so reving it to like 7500......stock red line would be kool ....... but yeah, i just want some ball park numbers and time.....anyone??</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure those were professionals you were talking to?
id be careful revving that high on a stock valvetrain. it would be a pity to lose such a well put together bottom end because you didnt handle the head.

PS: SEARCH there are multiple built d series threads going on as we speak.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (Eg4-TuRbO)

Mods:
Greddy Turbo, Ported Head, JG Throttle Body, JE 9:1 C/R Pistons, Eagle Rods, Greddy 2mm Headgasket, Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Type-24V Intercooler, 2 1/2" mandrel bent straightpipe, Fluidyne Radiator, 12" Fluidyne Fan, Greddy Profec-B Boost Controller[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you just learned a hard lesson in Honda SOHC engines. Ported head and JG throttle body = money better spent on a better (or bigger, I should say) turbo. Greddy turbos for the 1.6 engine basically bring the power up to "reasonable" from the stock "hamster in a wheel" level.

As for the original poster, 200+ WHP is easily obtainable on an SOHC with the right components, but for what you spent building the block you could have used instead to purchase a B series swap (any B series would do) and you can get 300 WHP safely on a B motor with stock internals. Unless you're Hybridcivicls-t

I learned the hard way....turbocharged the SOHC, figured out it was a waste of time and more costly to get the power I was after, and got the B18B. B18C head will hopefully be next. Of course, I wrecked the car last year, switched to the Nissan camp by buying an S14, but now I sold that puppy and bought myself another 96 Hatch today It's like starting over, all over again.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (HatchbackComeback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchbackComeback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[B]<U>
As for the original poster, 200+ WHP is easily obtainable on an SOHC with the right components, but for what you spent building the block you could have used instead to purchase a B series swap (any B series would do) and you can get 300 WHP safely on a B motor with stock internals. Unless you're Hybridcivicls-t

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Husssh puppy.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (HybridcivicLS-T)

damn......well, too late now about aborting SOHC project....already more then half way done..........so if i don't like the power wehre i'm at.....b series here i come...but this is the first TURBO car of mines so........lets see how it goes....i've driven trubo cars but not in a civic hatch........thanks again guys... let me know if any of you guys are using E management ?? and how is it working out? anyone know how to tune one of these suckers? do i have to put my lab top in the car to run this thing? or if you are using hondata......is that more esier to deal with?? compare to getting the Emanage...??? let mek now...thanks...
Old 03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And you can't make 300whp on a built sohc??? Of course you can and it would more then likely be a more reliable setup then a stock B series pushed towards its limits. But yeah get a decent sized turbo and some decent form of engine management and you will have a very nice setup.
Originally Posted by
As for the original poster, 200+ WHP is easily obtainable on an SOHC with the right components, but for what you spent building the block you could have used instead to purchase a B series swap (any B series would do) and you can get 300 WHP safely on a B motor with stock internals. Unless you're Hybridcivicls-t [img
https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif[/img]

I learned the hard way....turbocharged the SOHC, figured out it was a waste of time and more costly to get the power I was after, and got the B18B. B18C head will hopefully be next. Of course, I wrecked the car last year, switched to the Nissan camp by buying an S14, but now I sold that puppy and bought myself another 96 Hatch today It's like starting over, all over again.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B series Don't listen to these other guys. I've beat b-series turboed guys before from a dead stop. Just learn how to drive. Alot of these b-series guys (around me atleast 250-300whp) can't drive worth **** on top of having no traction whatsoever. However if its a rolling start (30-40mph) they will pretty much walk away from you. I have about the same setup as you kiddcheng. I doubt your going to push over 250-300 whp w/o some huge amount of boost. I'm trying to get all my pieces put together over the next couple weeks. Dont worry about the b-series guys, we're all basically on the same side. Just have fun beating all those neons, saturns, mustangs and keeping up with all the vette guys on the road
Old 03-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (pip9)

Hehe. more sohc and dohc debating I'll just say I have been loving every minute of my boosted sohc
Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (5thgencivic)

Now now, calm down SOHC guys, I was there at one point as well. But, no matter how much you like it, and now matter how much noise is made about it, the D series is NOT the way to go if you are looking for big power (300+ whp).

Yeah, you CAN do it. But it costs more.

I made 206/184 at 9psi on my D16Y7, but what the hell fun is that? After I blew up my first ACT clutch (while driving like a granny no less) I swapped. The gearing in the B18C tranny alone is worth the swap.

You guys also totally ignored my comments on the Greddy turbo. Don't even think you're going to come close to 300 with that little snail.

Anyway, have a good night everybody.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (pip9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pip9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont worry about the b-series guys, we're all basically on the same side. Just have fun beating all those neons, saturns, mustangs and keeping up with all the vette guys on the road</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats the truth man. now if everyone thought like that we woulndt have all these bottomless b vs d threads.
hatchbackcomeback- what happed to your act clutch? which one was it?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (blackeg)

Not really sure what happened...it just grenaded one day. It was one of the milder street-strip clutches, good for 250 or 300 hp.

I took off from a stop light at a very normal pace like anybody would. I got about ten feet and I hear this thump, my clutch pedal hit the floor, and that was that. When I pulled the motor, all the material had come off of the clutch. Had been running it for a year I think.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When do you guys know it time for sleeve's?

Can you get 300whp from a z6 with stock sleeve's?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchbackComeback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now now, calm down SOHC guys, I was there at one point as well. But, no matter how much you like it, and now matter how much noise is made about it, the D series is NOT the way to go if you are looking for big power (300+ whp).

Yeah, you CAN do it. But it costs more.

I made 206/184 at 9psi on my D16Y7, but what the hell fun is that? After I blew up my first ACT clutch (while driving like a granny no less) I swapped. The gearing in the B18C tranny alone is worth the swap.

You guys also totally ignored my comments on the Greddy turbo. Don't even think you're going to come close to 300 with that little snail.

Anyway, have a good night everybody.</TD></TR></TABLE> I'm calm I remember you from not so long ago you were helpfull then and probably still are.
It not hard to make 300whp on a sohc at all, rods/ pistons decent tuning well sized turbo and your there. IMO it would cost more to swap a B series engine in the trannys are worth mega $$ add on wiring blah blah blah it not cheap. Then your turbo kit etc for all that you still have a stock motor which with the smallest tuning error will be put out of commission. If looking for over 400whp then your broad statement would be a lot more likely to be correct.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (turbozxi)

All I'm saying is that a stock B series will easily handle 300+ whp when properly tuned and cared for, it's been done many times. D series will not, and the Greddy kit is not capable of this power level either.

My statement should be taken into consideration by anybody considering turbocharging their D series. If you want 200 or so, you're good, go for it. If you want 300 or more, it's much less expensive to drop in a B18B than it is to build a D16. Sleeves, rods, pistons, gaskets, so on and so forth add up quick. You'll spend at least $3000 building a D series.

Just food for thought. More power to you D series lovers. I just wish I had swapped sooner!

The fact that a D16 has to be built to withstand 300+ aside, but you'll end up a little laggier with the smaller motor, especially when you take into account the B trannies are geared lower, which makes a huge difference. I got really depressed when I saw that the "best" sohc tranny (D16Y8) was geared higher than even the LS tranny.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchbackComeback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got really depressed when I saw that the "best" sohc tranny (D16Y8) was geared higher than even the LS tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Geared higher by ~.01:1 on the 94 and up LS from the charts I've seen...

EX/Si
1st-----3.250
2nd-----1.900
3rd-----1.250
4th-----0.909
5th-----0.750 for Si HB and Del sol Si
or------0.702 for 2 dr or 4 dr sedan
Final Drive---4.250

USDM 94+ Integra LS/RS/GS/Special Edition *NO LSD
1st-----3.230
2nd-----1.900
3rd-----1.269
4th-----0.966
5th-----0.714
Final Drive---4.266
Old 03-03-2004, 11:11 PM

Im planning on swapping the td04 for a T28. New exhuast manifold as a required part for the swap. Now with all my mods, i can make a strong mini-built sohc. Love my single cam and was thinking about a swap before building my motor but too many b16's and b18's out there. LAME! Just like every other person on the road. b16 here, b16 there, b18 here, b18 there, b16's and b18's everywhere.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats it cost to swap in B18 ? Over here it would cost more then building a unsleeved sohc for sure, may be even a sleeved sohc.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

QUOTE FROM HatchBack Comeback: All I'm saying is that a stock B series will easily handle 300+ whp when properly tuned and cared for, it's been done many times. D series will not, and the Greddy kit is not capable of this power level either.

I don't know where you get your information from.. My d15b7 put's out over 400hp.. Ran 10's in a full race crx! &lt;-- explain that..

Modified by Newt Dog at 12:51 PM 3/9/2004

Modified by Newt Dog at 12:52 PM 3/9/2004
Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (Newt Dog)

my sohc has been making over 300whp for over 2 years with a stock cylinder head w 180k miles, runs like a champ daily driven and raced.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:03 AM
New User

Default Re: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE??? (Newt Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newt Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I'm saying is that a stock B series will easily handle 300+ whp when properly tuned and cared for, it's been done many times. D series will not, and the Greddy kit is not capable of this power level either. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your statement about the Greddy kit not capable of that power is accurate, but the one about D series motors when properly tuned and cared for not handling 300+whp is quite an ignorant generalization to make. Everyone knows the B series can handle that given the right circumstances, but to say the D series cannot is just flat wrong.

Quick Reply: SOHC TURBO...N E ONE???