Notices

smoke from breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke from breather

i was driving my car last night and after playing a little bit, it started runnin like crap. The setup is a b16 with a drag turbo kit in my 92 civic. i was pushing 10 psi and it started missing like crazy. When i start the car, it smokes out the breather. what could be causing that? Please help bc i have no idea what needs to be repaired
Old 01-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: smoke from breather (civicliveit)

when i blew my ringlands
alot of smoke came out of the valve cover breather at the dyno
Old 01-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Most of the time it is the ringlands on the stock pistons that go. You should do a compression and / or leakdown test to be sure. What management are you using?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Re: smoke from breather (Rufus523)

well i was planning on doing a aem ems til some uninsured lady sideswiped my car 2 weeks ago so now i have to redo the 4 month old body work again.

I am currently running FMU, SAFC, Walbro 255 in tank pump and also an inline

Also, i know that this isnt an ideal tuning setup but its what ive had on there for 3 years

Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM

That SAFC was probably the culprit, but who knows.

Chances are you will need a rebuild which may include:

New Pistons
New Rods
New HG
Bore and Hone (Machine Shop Labor)
Build Labor (assuming you don't do this yourself)

And that is the very basics. Most people replace gaskets, wp, timing belt, head studs etc. and it gets expensive. Then you would have to get a decent management system like crome / uberdata which are "free" (but still cost money to tune). Otherwise you spend all of that money and you are back to square one, same **** could happen again.

Also, driving the car COULD cause more damage in its current state to the cylinder walls. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: smoke from breather (Rufus523)

could i just pull the head and see if the ringlands are broke and replace the one if it is? bc i dont have a lot of cash right now to do this stuff and would like to not have to go out and buy another car.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:14 PM

and as for waterpump and timing belt, im gonna do them too when it is apart . also i have a new headgasket
Old 01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

just do a leakdown test,
probly tell u more than pulling the head even

can't really see the sides of the pistons with just the head off..
Old 01-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

ill try and do a leakdown test tomorrow at work but i guess i dont know if anyone at work has a leakdown tester. Would a compression test tell me anything?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicliveit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicliveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill try and do a leakdown test tomorrow at work but i guess i dont know if anyone at work has a leakdown tester. Would a compression test tell me anything? </TD></TR></TABLE>
it may or may not
i had perfect compression on 3 of the 4 cylinder but all 4 ringlands blew out
but on the 4th cylinder it was only 30psi

a good sign to tell if its the ringland . take off the turbo manifold and check if theres oil on the runners
Old 01-29-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (komat)

ya know, i had a couple buddies tell me not to post anythig on here bc most of the members get pissed about stupid questions. But i must say, the speed and quality of your answers is very pleasing to me.

Ill try and do a leakdown test tomorrow and see if thats my problem.

Thanks for the quick answers.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:47 PM

also, can it really damage the motor if i drive it a little bit ?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it will scatch up the walls if its the ringlands

any smoke coming out of the exhaust

Modified by komat at 9:23 PM 1/29/2006
Old 01-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicliveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, can it really damage the motor if i drive it a little bit ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can contaminate oil if its loosing a lot of compressoin. its too late now but avoid running breather filter - it becomes a restriction causing further damage.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:13 PM

there is no smoke coming from the exhaust that i can see at all. just out of the breather
Old 01-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicliveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no smoke coming from the exhaust that i can see at all. just out of the breather </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like ring lands to me. Ive broken plenty of factory pistons. Like some one said above, sometimes a compression test can fool you. i had good compression on one cylinder before and when i took the rod and piston out I picked at the ringlands with my finger nail and they fell in the floor!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blue89crx)

you could do a compression test, but like they are saying its gonna come back bad, and you can pretty much plan on replacing all your pistons. (My friend did this twice) You could do this rather cheaply if you ahve some time. Buy some used ones off ebay, or off here, and you have the headgasket. I wouldn't do this for long, but if your in a tight place you could do it.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coneheadsracing)

i bought a set of used pistons and used rings:-D
car is running stronger then b4 but smokes hahah

oh well lsvtec soon
Old 01-29-2006, 06:31 PM

well i work at a honda dealership and i can get parts pretty cheap so its not a very big deal to get parts. but could i just replace one piston and that pistons rings if it is just one?

the main concern being getting it running and driveable bc its my only car and i cant have too much down time with it.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:40 PM

yes u can replace just the one if thats the only problem
Old 01-29-2006, 06:40 PM

Probably not a good idea.. If your ringlands cracked, chances are your cylinder walls are scuffed up. In which case, I'd recommend atleast .010 (.25mm) overbore. Honda does sell oversized pistons in this size, so that shouldn't be much of an issue if you're looking at cost issues (OEM Honda pistons are wayyyyy cheaper than any forged).

If it is just one cylinder, and you can get away with a hone, you would still need to have everything balanced.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicliveit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i work at a honda dealership and i can get parts pretty cheap so its not a very big deal to get parts. but could i just replace one piston and that pistons rings if it is just one?

the main concern being getting it running and driveable bc its my only car and i cant have too much down time with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sure if you know its JUST ONE bad piston. To be on the safe side just make sure you check them all and replace all the rings.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM

is there any oil comming out of the breather or just smoke?

from what u have written i would say that the SAFC is ur problem. running 10psi on a b16 (im assuming stock) is alot without proper tunning.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (Acrappyhatch)

there is oil coming out of it too. but not a lot. its always had a lil blowby so i didnt think anything of it.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 PM

I understand you are on a budget, but you need to look at the big picture. First you need to find the root of your problem. Is your car properly tuned? If not you need to take care of whatever is damaged than get it tuned to prevent the same thing from happening again. Replacing a single piston will work if that's your problem but it is more like a band aid which will cause you more expenses in the end. There are a couple of different manufacturers who make cheap pistons for you. Replace all the pistons and rings along with lower comp and you will be alot better off. I am always supporting the idea of fixing it right the first time. Because if you replace say 1 piston and this happens again in like 2 months the cost of the parts for both jobs = buying upgraded parts. Good luck with this the more you drive your car blowing smoke out the breather the more likely you are going to cause more extensive damage.

Quick Reply: smoke from breather