Notices

Slimfan user's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slimfan user's

Question for the poll: Do you use your slimfan(s) as pusher's or puller's, or both?

I redid my whole turbo setup with a/c so with the condensor is in the way. I couldn't have any pusher's, although I would have liked to have one.

Whether you have a/c or not, one fan or two just vote. Also, post up your setups if you have them. (I'll post mine up when I get my exhaust work finished)

Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slimfan user's (u n v kenny)

I use a single 12" pusher. Did you make this poll just because you are curious to see what most people are using?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use a 12" slim fan on my radiator as a puller. i will be using a 10" slim fan on my ac condenser and mount it as a pusher.

some have said that if u mount it as a pusher your losing efficiency.
if i am able to mount my slim fan on my ac condenser as a puller, i will, but if i need the extra space for my turbo parts, then i will mount it as a pusher.

this is in my 96 ex coupe
Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slimfan user's (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use a single 12" pusher. Did you make this poll just because you are curious to see what most people are using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was curious yes. Because I found out they are set up to be pusher's. When I wired them up blue/blue and black/black as a puller, they were actually pushers blowing towards the front of my car instead of sucking into my engine. I had to rewire them and go blue/black and blue/black.

I wanted to know what was more efficient, as I have two puller. I was also thinking of doing a puller on my radiator and pusher for my condenser but I ended up with enough room to have two puller's.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW: I have two 12" slimfans working for the radiator and the condensor. Full radiator and condensor.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 AM
BCICAN

Gotcha. From what I hear the pullers are more efficient. In terms of "how much more" efficient they really are...well I've never seen any sort of data supporting it. My single pusher is on a full sized radiator as well....and the turbo is about 1/8" away from the radiator.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it's all pretty close. I have a 3" downpipe as well, and with the a/c lines and such it's all very very close. For a daily drive I just want to keep it as cool as possible.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u n v kenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was curious yes. Because I found out they are set up to be pusher's. When I wired them up blue/blue and black/black as a puller, they were actually pushers blowing towards the front of my car instead of sucking into my engine. I had to rewire them and go blue/black and blue/black.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing happened to me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u n v kenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah it's all pretty close. I have a 3" downpipe as well, and with the a/c lines and such it's all very very close. For a daily drive I just want to keep it as cool as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did u wrap your ac lines and possibly downpipe?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slimfan user's (MeanGreenMachine)

I did not wrap my dp as I heard it is not good for it. Moisture, cracking, etc...

I did wrap my a/c lines.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 AM

I got both of mine pushing. gives me so much more room and looks cleaner as well.

A note to all those that just change the wires to switch from pusher to puller....make sure you switch the blades around as well.

If you do not then it's not working correctly as the blades are angled incorrectly.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slimfan user's (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got both of mine pushing. gives me so much more room and looks cleaner as well.

A note to all those that just change the wires to switch from pusher to puller....make sure you switch the blades around as well.

If you do not then it's not working correctly as the blades are angled incorrectly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was referring too. Kind of hard to describe it though lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dp was like less than an inch away from my fan so i sent with a pusher setup.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Slimfan user's (boostedcivicsir)

Well, all the slim fans that I ever had you can switch the blades around depending on what you want, pusher or puller so yours should not be any different.

Just remember that the blades on the fan is like an airplane wing, one edge is smooth and the other end is sharp. Smooth edge should always face the front no matter if it's a puller or pusher.

Does this help with the explanation??
Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slimfan user's (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, all the slim fans that I ever had you can switch the blades around depending on what you want, pusher or puller so yours should not be any different.

Just remember that the blades on the fan is like an airplane wing, one edge is smooth and the other end is sharp. Smooth edge should always face the front no matter if it's a puller or pusher.

Does this help with the explanation??</TD></TR></TABLE>

i feel well informed
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Slimfan user's (93supercoupe)

slimfan pusher on a half rad, with a 12" intercooler in front of it with no overheating problems.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Set up in a puller configuration is the most effective way to use any fan. Its about a 20% cooling efficiency difference vs that of the same fan setup in a pusher scenario.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: (drumking15)

Yes, but a pusher is cleaner, and gives more room inside the engine bay. You can always direct air to the rad with shields, and foam.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 AM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Set up in a puller configuration is the most effective way to use any fan. Its about a 20% cooling efficiency difference vs that of the same fan setup in a pusher scenario.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you get the 20% value? Do you have any sites with test data on them that I can see?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Re: (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did you get the 20% value? Do you have any sites with test data on them that I can see?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill see if i can find it...i reversed the equation...a pusher is 80% efficient compared to the same fan in a puller configuration (yet some fans are specifically designed to work in one direction and you need to reverse the impeller or else it wont work very well)...it was from some paper i read when helping out the FSAE team at my school...it has to do w/ the fact that the fan itself is block a majority of the surface area of the radiator core...wheras w/ a puller at speed the air isnt being blocked and you can make a shroud to effective used the entire core vs. just what the fan is covering

cliffs:
pusher- covers frontal surface area and no shroud doesnt allow full use of the core size
pull- allows full use of the core and a shroud can be added to allow the fan to pul the air over the entire core surface...not just what its mounted area

here is a quick google search on the subject...same principals but not the article i used...
http://64.233.169.104/search?q...fox-a
http://64.233.169.104/search?q...fox-a
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM
BCICAN

So how does a puller not block air flow but a pusher does (due to the blade). Both fans have blades that are in the way. Unless alll that matters is that the air gets on the radiator and not necessarily through the radiator.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: (Dunc)

Most people who install slim fans will not have a fan shroud so that rating is no good.

Unless you spend the extra $$ for the FAL ones that come with the shroud then that is a bit different but with the shroud being so close to the Rad the efficiency rating is overrated IMO.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a 10 and a 12 pullers in the stock locations.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 PM

12" puller on the radiator and a 10" pusher on the ac condensor. seems to work pretty well, but i would like to make a heatsheild of some sort for the condensor because i get a decent amount of heatsoak when im in a drive-thru or stuck in traffic.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slimfan user's (dscivicdx)

What's the difference in have a 12" and a 10" fan?

I have two 12" fans, is that just as good?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u n v kenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the difference in have a 12" and a 10" fan?

I have two 12" fans, is that just as good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the size. i would assume that the bigger fan will produce more CFM.
two 12" fans is fine

Quick Reply: Slimfan user's