Notices

Sleeve engine? if so where in NC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeve engine? if so where in NC?

i am about to throw new JE pistons, Eagle h beams, acl bearings, and ARP bolts in the b16. But am debating on weather or not to have the block sleeved. I have read of countless people running good amounts of boost on the stock sleeves with no problems. I have the engine stripped down so now would be the time. I am looking to replae the 14b with a 35r a buddy has layin around. so what are you opinions? also if anyone has any suggestions on where to get it done in North Carolina. I have heard some good things about Edge Brothers.. but they are more known in the DSM world. Also where can I pick up some sleeves from? so far the only place i have found is Darton sleeves on ebay.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from numerous experiences, edge brothers is a VERY good machine shop, BUT if I were to get a block sleeved, i would definitely send it out to one of the very reputable shops on the west coast, as these places sleeve hondas all day. edge brothers doesn't. if you choose to get it done, sleeving is a very critical part of a build. i would hold off on the 35r, and use the extra money towards a solid bottom end, and the best tuning you can afford.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, go talk to earl edge. he won't steer you in the wrong direction.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (ShortbusEK)

Z10 in New Jersey has done some good work that I have seen. I don't know of any other place on the east coast that I would use.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (full Circling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by full Circling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from numerous experiences, edge brothers is a VERY good machine shop, BUT if I were to get a block sleeved, i would definitely send it out to one of the very reputable shops on the west coast, as these places sleeve hondas all day. edge brothers doesn't. if you choose to get it done, sleeving is a very critical part of a build. i would hold off on the 35r, and use the extra money towards a solid bottom end, and the best tuning you can afford.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am building the bottom end.. i am just trying to decide if I want to put up with the hassle and cost of sending a block to the east coast and back.. i know there is someone here that can do a fine job.. i just need to find where to get some sleeves.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShortbusEK)

i think we have a aebs sleeved bare LS block instock with all machine work but the final bore/hone done.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (JDogg)

I've heard nothing but good about Edge Brothers as well, they'll be doing the overbore on my block.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShortbusEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am building the bottom end.. i am just trying to decide if I want to put up with the hassle and cost of sending a block to the east coast and back.. i know there is someone here that can do a fine job.. i just need to find where to get some sleeves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aside from eBay, in the Marketplace under F/I you'll find some good deals. If you had/have the money, I'd say go ERL Superdeck. 84mm B16 I believe they're on the East Coast, but I may be mistaken.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM

http://blueridgemotorsports.com they're in NC and do aebs and darton sleeves
Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (DA_HONDA_BOY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_HONDA_BOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://blueridgemotorsports.com they're in NC and do aebs and darton sleeves </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! thats where it will be going =P god i cant believe the amount of money I am about to invest... 30 psi had better be ALOT of fun =P

here is what I am looking at doin.. any suggestions??

B16 block
AEBS T sleeves (84 mm)
JE dish pistons 9:1 comp (84mm)
Eagle H Beam Rods w/ arp bolts
ACL Bearings
ARP head studs
New OEM oil pump

any other suggestions while ive got it apart?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definatley hold off on the turbo and build you a solid bottom end that can handle the power and still be reliable. We can send a container to your door step to pick up the block and you just bolt it down to the pallet inside and ups will come pick it back up. You can pm me for pricing and more info if needed.

To get some info on ERL Performance you can go to http://www.erlperformance.com and check us out or just do a search on here to see some info/feedback from others.

Modified by jdmcoop at 9:14 PM 1/8/2008
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.godriven.net
Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (DA_HONDA_BOY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_HONDA_BOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://blueridgemotorsports.com they're in NC and do aebs and darton sleeves </TD></TR></TABLE>

BRMS doesn't sleeve blocks. They can ship your block off to AEBS or Darton for you, though, if you don't feel like hassling with it. Good people.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (Joseph Davis)

Z10 is having a big sleeving sale for $799.. thats whos doing mine.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BRMS doesn't sleeve blocks. They can ship your block off to AEBS or Darton for you, though, if you don't feel like hassling with it. Good people.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Joseph, you have been recommended as a tuner. When I am ready to run the big boost id like to talk to you about helping me getting it tuned. I have someone here to help get me tuned with the 14b power =P but hes never tuned a honda like im building.. and i dont have the experience myself to do it. but i would say by sometime around october this year ill have the fuel/ignition system all upgraded for high boost and and I think im gonna go with a 35R.. either that or a holset (lotta diesel boys round here have factory turbos laying around).. havnt decided yet though.

Modified by ShortbusEK at 10:52 AM 1/9/2008
Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do... stay away from machine shops with little sleeving background. Send it to a reputable sleeving company.

We use ERL and Darton sleeves.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HY35 spools pretty well on the SOHCs, hell of a lot better price than GT35R too. On that subject I can't imagine how unpleasant a GT35's spool would be on a SOHC. :/

Bring your tuner friend along, I'm more than happy to show anyone anything I know.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whatever you do... stay away from machine shops with little sleeving background. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a couple locally sleeved blocks from redneck machine shops laying around. If you are ever out my way you really should see them... two you'd laugh at within ten seconds of laying eyes on them, and one does interesting things when you lay a straight edge across the *sides* of the main bores.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

were working with a b16 not a d16 though
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im pretty sure im gonna be sending the block up to Z10.. blueridge is just a middle man I am being told anyways. i think it might be the hy35 thats common stock.. im not sure to be honest
Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've got a couple locally sleeved blocks from redneck machine shops laying around. If you are ever out my way you really should see them... two you'd laugh at within ten seconds of laying eyes on them, and one does interesting things when you lay a straight edge across the *sides* of the main bores. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol

I had a similar shop doing my sleeving 3 years ago. I stopped going to them after they dropped sleeves on the same block 2 times.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShortbusEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am about to throw new JE pistons, Eagle h beams, acl bearings, and ARP bolts in the b16. But am debating on weather or not to have the block sleeved. I have read of countless people running good amounts of boost on the stock sleeves with no problems. I have the engine stripped down so now would be the time. I am looking to replae the 14b with a 35r a buddy has layin around. so what are you opinions? also if anyone has any suggestions on where to get it done in North Carolina. I have heard some good things about Edge Brothers.. but they are more known in the DSM world. Also where can I pick up some sleeves from? so far the only place i have found is Darton sleeves on ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your best bet is to go to Golden Eagle. Call them up and ask for Robert. they will even ship it to you!! and i'm pretty sure shipping is only like 50 bucks. i've run several of their sleeved motors and they have never given me problems.. plus if you search on here they are really good about standing behind their products. well worth it to have it shipped to you VS going to some shady machine shop that will give you junk... you never know..... not sure about the Edge brothers place you named. never heard of them.. but i know GE has some of the fastest imports running their sleeves. Bisi, Bergenholtz, etc.... Good luck on your build!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (h22crxpwr)

GE was on my list of people to check out but they are on the otherside of the country i would like someone a little closer to home. Us east siders know what were doin too =P Z10 in new jersey is getting ready to run a really sweet special on block sleeving and they are of course a very reputable shop also.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is also Jim Justice Racing Engines in VA just north of you..
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (Darton)

z10 stuff is awesome, but their turn around for b16 blocks can be kinda slow. they are the one company we have never had a problem with sinking sleeves. we did probably 20-30 blocks with them last year.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC? (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">z10 stuff is awesome, but their turn around for b16 blocks can be kinda slow. they are the one company we have never had a problem with sinking sleeves. we did probably 20-30 blocks with them last year.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm... good to know!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 AM

shipping will only run around 50 to any ware in the USA and we do have core b16 b18a/b blocks as well pm me for pricing or if you have any questions

Quick Reply: Sleeve engine? if so where in NC?