Sh!t box 2.0 - Turbo "Hunter" GS-R swapped EJ1 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:35 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default re: **** box 2.0 - Turbo "Hunter" GS-R swapped EJ1 build thread

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Had a chance to get out and drive the car tonight. Like I said I set base fuel pressure to 65psi (previously 45psi) and updated the injector battery offsets for 65psi base pressure as well. Idle and part throttle needed some fuel pulled out and needed to be touched up here and there, but wot was basically exactly the same afr. I’m a little confused, I thought for sure I’d have to pull fuel out of the higher load area of the maps with the higher fuel pressure, as injector dead times make very small changes in afr at longer pulse widths. Idk it’s almost like the fuel pressure isn’t raising at a 1:1 ratio like it’s supposed too, but I’m not sure. It just doesn’t seem right to me, higher fuel pressure should equal lower injector duty cycle at the same power level. Right?

For those of you that have retuned your car after increasing base fuel pressure does this seem right? Hopefully that new regulator isn’t a problem..
You are supposed to use an overall compensation factor to adjust fuel tables according to the fuel pressure change. Did you do that?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I never touched offsets after fuel pressure changes, just overall %
Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I never touched offsets after fuel pressure changes, just overall %
The offsets do change, but I'd imagine it would only be a slight difference noticeable only at idle. The overall compensation is the big piece. When jumping to 65psi I would expect -30% to -40% would be needed.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah Like 5-10% maybee
Old 05-18-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I adjusted my overall fuel trim after updating the dead times to bring idle afr back to what it was. It was previously set a +3% and bringing it to zero brought idle right back to where it was, then had to touch up part throttle and didn’t even touch the boost columns. So my overall fuel trim is only 3% less then it was and my base pressure is 20psi higher and wot afr is basically exactly the same. So that seems right to you guys? I seriously thought I’d be pulling a lot of fuel..
Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

In Smanager fuel trim calculator, going from 43.5psi to 65psi should result in -18% overall fuel compensation.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I figured it all out lol. Long story short my b&m fuel pressure gauge went out, it said I had 65psi base pressure, but it was really only 50psi. So that makes more sense that it only needed a 3% reduction in fuel to bring afr back to target. I started the car up today and noticed my fuel pressure gauge was jumping all over the place wildly at idle, I was like wtf it wasn’t doing that before. I drove it around and the afrs were perfect, so I figured fuel pressure was fine and that the gauge was just bad. So I went and bought another b&m pressure gauge locally, when I installed it the needle was rock solid at idle. I turned the engine off and turned the fuel pump on in Neptune and the base pressure was only 50psi, so I cranked it up to 65psi. After retuning the fuel maps it ended up needing 7-8% fuel pulled out of the high load part of the maps. So this makes a lot more sense now lol. A total of about 10-11% fuel total needed to be pulled with a 20% increase in base fuel pressure.

After getting back from driving it I noticed my pressure gauge once again jumping around like crazy. Are b&m pressure gauges just garbage or can they not handle higher fuel pressure of something? Maybe I’ll move the gauge to the regulator instead of on the rail and see if that helps, but that would be stupid if it went out again in less then a day.

Now it’s time to get some e85 👍🏼
Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Okay I figured it all out lol. Long story short my b&m fuel pressure gauge went out, it said I had 65psi base pressure, but it was really only 50psi. So that makes more sense that it only needed a 3% reduction in fuel to bring afr back to target. I started the car up today and noticed my fuel pressure gauge was jumping all over the place wildly at idle, I was like wtf it wasn’t doing that before. I drove it around and the afrs were perfect, so I figured fuel pressure was fine and that the gauge was just bad. So I went and bought another b&m pressure gauge locally, when I installed it the needle was rock solid at idle. I turned the engine off and turned the fuel pump on in Neptune and the base pressure was only 50psi, so I cranked it up to 65psi. After retuning the fuel maps it ended up needing 7-8% fuel pulled out of the high load part of the maps. So this makes a lot more sense now lol. A total of about 10-11% fuel total needed to be pulled with a 20% increase in base fuel pressure.

After getting back from driving it I noticed my pressure gauge once again jumping around like crazy. Are b&m pressure gauges just garbage or can they not handle higher fuel pressure of something? Maybe I’ll move the gauge to the regulator instead of on the rail and see if that helps, but that would be stupid if it went out again in less then a day.

Now it’s time to get some e85 👍🏼
on my turbo si, ive had the same b&m fuel pressure gauge. However, it mounted on a oem filter at oem location. So it might be less prone to engine vibration.

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-20-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ls joker
on my turbo si, ive had the same b&m fuel pressure gauge. However, it mounted on a oem filter at oem location. So it mite less prone to engine vibration.
I've known the B&M guages to have been garbage for 10 years+. The fluid in guage leaks, the needles always lose center and vibrate out of accuracy, regardless of their location. I switched to an Autometer right on the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since. I've learned to stay away from them.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I've known the B&M guages to have been garbage for 10 years+. The fluid in guage leaks, the needles always lose center and vibrate out of accuracy, regardless of their location. I switched to an Autometer right on the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since. I've learned to stay away from them.
Thanks for the info. Wish I knew that before I bought 2 of them lol. Hopefully I can get my money back for the one I bought just yesterday since it broke literally an hour after being installed. At least I was able to get the right base pressure set this time.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

All i know, ive had thd same b&m gauage for nine years. Had b&m also on my integra before that. Both mounted the same. Another member recently had problems with his fuel pressure gauge. He had a grams crack on the dyno. Believe his was mijnted on the rail aswell.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
All i know, ive had thd same b&m gauage for nine years. Had b&m also on my integra before that. Both mounted the same. Another member recently had problems with his fuel pressure gauge. He had a grams crack on the dyno. Believe his was mijnted on the rail aswell.
Yeah I’m pretty sure the failure is related to the higher fuel pressure. My first b&m gauge worked fine for a couple years at stock fuel pressure and then failed within a day of higher pressure, new b&m gauge again failed first day at higher pressure.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was able to return my faulty b&m gauge and ordered an aeromotive instead. Turns out the aeromotive gauge is made by autometer. I went ahead and mounted it directly to the fpr. Reads rock solid so far and I have no doubt that it will continue to do so. Reads about 56psi at idle with vacuum and 65psi without. E85 coming soon. Should have plenty of fuel for this little hunter turbo.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E85 is gonna haul ***.

That exposed belt makes me cringe though. Im always terrified to run without the covers lol. My buddies LS car had a rock fall down in there once and it flung back up and shattered the valve cover when we were moving him out west.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse...but I've had the same issue w/ B&M gauges here a few times back to back maybe 5 years ago. They were either bad out the box or would be bad shortly after. We now use Aeromotive or Turbosmart FP gauges which have been a rock solid substitute.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
E85 is gonna haul ***.

That exposed belt makes me cringe though. Im always terrified to run without the covers lol. My buddies LS car had a rock fall down in there once and it flung back up and shattered the valve cover when we were moving him out west.
Cant wait to get some e85 in this thing. I’ll likely be getting some on Friday, but it supposed to be raining and thunderstorms the next 3 days unfortunately.
Ive never had an issue running without the top timing cover in over 10 years haha, but that doesn’t mean I won’t. You’re probably right, but I’m not too worried about it. Hopefully I don’t eat my words lol.

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Not to beat a dead horse...but I've had the same issue w/ B&M gauges here a few times back to back maybe 5 years ago. They were either bad out the box or would be bad shortly after. We now use Aeromotive or Turbosmart FP gauges which have been a rock solid substitute.
Yup wish I knew that before wasting time and money. Lesson learned.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Have you ever messed around with Virtual Dyno?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
Have you ever messed around with Virtual Dyno?
Yeah I have, not a lot though. Seems like I get inconsistent results most of the time. I know having a super smooth flat road helps a lot. You have any luck with it?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

I'm not really sure yet. I didn't even know such a thing existed until recently but it does seem to work reasonably well with Neptune logs. Apparently it's accurate within a few percent of a real dyno too if the data you input is accurate. I'm lucky enough to have some nice, straight, flat backroads around me with zero traffic that I can do testing on. I tested a few logs already and if the results are to be believed then I'm making a bit more power than what I was initially thinking. I think it's a really cool tool because you can really see where the power stops, if you have tune inconsistencies, etc. I could see the difference between a degree of timing and a slightly leaner AFR during back to back runs which I thought was pretty spectacular for free software. I don't have a real dyno within 3-4 hours of me so my options have always been limited.

I was wondering what it said about your coupe because that thing scoots lol. It's so light too. I'm envious of the Civic guys in that aspect because I'm pulling around a ~2750lb Accord and I'm 245 myself.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think it is fairly accurate because based on my trap speed and weight I’m right around 400whp and that’s about what this 4th gear run says. This wasn’t the smoothest road tho. And it’s funny when you get wheel spin haha! It’s obvious I lost broke traction at ~5600rpm on the 3rd gear run. Man if you’re getting that good of results with it then I’ll definitely mess with it more on a super smooth road. Feel free to post up some of your graphs, I’m curious what yours look like.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

700hp coupe ftw hahaha. I don't really spin so I've yet to see one like that lol. I'll post some up after I log some more passes just to make sure I'm getting consistent results.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great!!! Did you run e85 for this pull? Just curious, where do you think you're getting all this torque from (compared to my setup)?? You have 25hp but like 80tq more than me. Can this be attributed to your manifold? And when are you shifting?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 9TechNine9
Looks great!!! Did you run e85 for this pull? Just curious, where do you think you're getting all this torque from (compared to my setup)?? You have 25hp but like 80tq more than me. Can this be attributed to your manifold? And when are you shifting?
No e85 yet. I honestly wouldn’t give those random virtual dyno graphs much credit, I think the hp number is in the ball park based on my trap speed from the track, but the tq number is obviously inflated. Like is said it wasn’t the smoothest road either witch really makes a big difference when using vd. My rev limiter is at 8,500 rpm so those weren’t even full pulls. I just pulled those random logs up after Aradin mentioned it lol. I definitely want to mess with it more on a super smooth road and log back to back pulls to verify consistency. I’m just at the point now where 4th gear pulls are needed to avoid wheel spin, witch makes it harder to do, but I have quite a few nice spots around me that fit the bill well.

I also noticed that I’m eating up my r888s with all the spinning in 3rd gear lol. With the warmer weather 3rd spins at 16-17psi, but still pulls hard while spinning. I’m definitely getting some pretty wicked torque steer on anything other then a perfect road. I’m wondering if a set of traction bars would help this??
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Yeah. I was considering doing a 4th gear pull earlier for more consistent results, thinking a longer sample would help, but with the way my trans is geared I would have been doing about 130mph down some backroads at dusk. No thanks lol. Top of 3rd is 100mph as it is. I tried to get some decent logs earlier and couldn't get them like before, even on the same exact road. VD seems very picky about giving smooth graphs but I guess really it's dependent on the log itself. One said I was making 1800hp lmao.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Reading about this virtual dyno stuff really piqued my interest, so I decided to try it out as well! I think I must be having wheelspin in 3rd even when it's not super noticeable on the datalog, because every log I put it told me I was making 1200hp

Definitely not sure I'd trust the numbers even on a smooth run, although it is a neat tool to play around with. Perhaps you are right that a 4th gear pull is needed, but I am not brave enough to top out 4th on the street. Not even sure what mph that would be at on my LS trans.... 140 maybe?

Quick Reply: Sh!t box 2.0 - Turbo "Hunter" GS-R swapped EJ1 build thread