Notices

second headgasket gone at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second headgasket gone at idle

I need some help here. I had my headwork done by DPR and got the head back about 7 months ago. The block was sleeved and arias 9:1 pistons went in. Long story short, I just got around to starting the car last weekend.

The first headgasket blew at idle in a matter of minutes. I took the head off, double checking along the way and everything had been torqued properly. So I replace the gasket, copper spray it, and make sure to shave down the dowel pins this time thinking maybe they were holding the head up.

This time it blows just as quick. I'm getting both symptoms, white smoke from exhaust/breather as well as milky oil. I don't think it is a sleeve that sunk because of the milky oil. Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be? I called RS and they said to have the head pressure tested. I don't really want to call DPR because my experience with them was anything but pleasant.

I don't mind taking the head off and doing it again, but I would rather know what the problem is. Has anyone ever had a cracked cylinder head?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: second headgasket gone at idle (trbob16a)

pressure test the cyl head and or check the head for straightness.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: second headgasket gone at idle (b18bturbo)

sleeves may have sunk too....
Old 04-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: second headgasket gone at idle (genop)

You must check head and block both. There is a MAJOR problem somewhere because almost impossible to blow a head gasket at idle. Look closely at your blown head gasket for problem signs. It has to show a leak somewhere. That will give you your clue. It is hard to crack a honda head, it shoud have come flat from dpr, my first guess would be dropped sleeves but hard to say for sure without being there
Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: second headgasket gone at idle (earl)

Earl how about if I just fly you out here and you fix it up for me. I am completely clueless as to the problem. The head gasket looks perfectly fine, no signs of anything really. I'm going to take the head to be pressure tested this weekend, and if that isn't it then I guess its a sleeve.

For whatever reason it is obvious that the head is not tightening down onto the block. I fear it is something well beyond the headgasket and am about to throw in the towel after weeks upon weeks in my garage and thousands of dollars..
Old 04-25-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: second headgasket gone at idle (trbob16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trbob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
For whatever reason it is obvious that the head is not tightening down onto the block. I fear it is something well beyond the headgasket and am about to throw in the towel after weeks upon weeks in my garage and thousands of dollars..</TD></TR></TABLE>
How much was removed from the deck/head? Make sure your dowels are shortened the same amount possibly a tad more. You probably are not getting a good seal because the dowel pin height has not been trimmed down enough.

Modified by Dublocivic at 2:16 PM 4/25/2003