Notices

SC61

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 03:25 PM
95GSRTT

Default SC61

Well Im looking at getting a new turbo this next week. Decided I was probably gonna go with the SC61. Had a few questions on it though. 1st is, will it mount up to a drag 3 manifold that was holding a t3/t4 turbo before, and will the drag downpipe bolt right up? Also Im looking at around 350 whp on the streets and around 450-500 for the strip. What would be the best turbo to go with, if not the SC61, and keeping it in the same price range? Thanks

Also right now I have a Tial 35mm wastegate. According to Tial's website that would be an ideal size for that much HP right?
Old 06-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SC61 (95GSRTT)

yea the turbo will bolt up to the mani and downpipe (assuming it was a 5 bolt before) and the power goals are within the sc61 range, and the wastegate should be okay, you might get some creep, some people do and some dont.

Landon
Old 06-19-2004, 04:11 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: SC61 (boosted_dc2)

Is there a better turbo to go with that would spool faster and yet have efficiency with that much HP?
Old 06-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Precision GT-30R... "quick spool" Ball bearing! A little pricey, but well worth it.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC61 (TurboChrgd_Civic)

me and a couple of friends have sc61 turbos and out of all of us the one with the most power cna only get 427 hp @ 23 psi on c16 race gas. but i am tired of this bandwagon **** of the sc61. this turbo is not a GOD liek i thoguht it was. i ran into a friend today that has a gsr motor with just 9:1 pistons and rods and is running a garrett T3 60-1 and hes making 480 WHP on only 21 psi and ran a 11.2 today.

needless to say i am selling this POS sc61 and getting a T3 60-1 from CHEAPTURBOS.COM. the turbo is cheaprer than a sc61, BIGGER than a sc61, puts out more power than a sc61 and well just better. everyone use to run t3 60-1 and then the sc61/gt30 bandwagon started and people forgot how good those turbos actually are.

im sorry if i offended anyone but i have seen so many people make more power than me and my friends on t3 60-1 turbos on less BOOST than these shitty sc61 turbos.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:17 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: SC61 (NextelBuddy)

any other opinions on this turbo or the t3/60-1. I have heard about it, but heard that it was a tired 15 year old design that just couldnt really compete any more and is not as efficient. And on the ball bearing turbo. ya Im gonna save the extra grand on the bottom end lol. Im looking at around 700-to 850 tops.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:28 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You are right, it won't be as efficient.

At this point, what is best for you depends on your price goals.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC61 (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are right, it won't be as efficient.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

see this is the same BS i see people use as th reason to get a sc61 over a t3 60-1. that and that tired out saying "its a 15 yeard old design and its not as efficient as a precision" i see people making more power with t3 60-1 turbos then otehrs with the same setup using sc61 turbos. before i got the sc61 i was really considering getting a garrett turbo from cheap turbos.com adn then i got swayed by everyone saying that precision turbos are sooo much mroe efficient, well after seeing just how efficient they are against the predecessor the t3 60-1 i am not satisfied one bit. it is a joke that keeps going. the only other turbo i would consider otehr than the t3 60-1 wold have to be full races t3/t67 but at 925 bux i think i would go with e t3 60-1.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:38 PM
95GSRTT

And to most of you guys, is 400 whp really TOO much? I was thinking 350 would be good for the street but some of these guys are telling me that is plenty. Any other suggestions on a good turbo? Like the sc50 or sc34 or any of those? I dont think the sc34 would be able to push enough after 300-320.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">me and a couple of friends have sc61 turbos and out of all of us the one with the most power cna only get 427 hp @ 23 psi on c16 race gas. but i am tired of this bandwagon **** of the sc61. this turbo is not a GOD liek i thoguht it was. i ran into a friend today that has a gsr motor with just 9:1 pistons and rods and is running a garrett T3 60-1 and hes making 480 WHP on only 21 psi and ran a 11.2 today.

needless to say i am selling this POS sc61 and getting a T3 60-1 from CHEAPTURBOS.COM. the turbo is cheaprer than a sc61, BIGGER than a sc61, puts out more power than a sc61 and well just better. everyone use to run t3 60-1 and then the sc61/gt30 bandwagon started and people forgot how good those turbos actually are.

im sorry if i offended anyone but i have seen so many people make more power than me and my friends on t3 60-1 turbos on less BOOST than these shitty sc61 turbos.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have other issues than the turbo, the sc61 is not god. but it is one one of the absolute best turbos you can get FOR THE MONEY.

dont bash the turbo, when it is not your problem.

Landon
Old 06-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you have other issues than the turbo, the sc61 is not god. but it is one one of the absolute best turbos you can get FOR THE MONEY.

dont bash the turbo, when it is not your problem.

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats for sure. suit up nextelbuddy
Old 06-19-2004, 07:02 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">see this is the same BS i see people use as th reason to get a sc61 over a t3 60-1. that and that tired out saying "its a 15 yeard old design and its not as efficient as a precision" i see people making more power with t3 60-1 turbos then otehrs with the same setup using sc61 turbos. before i got the sc61 i was really considering getting a garrett turbo from cheap turbos.com adn then i got swayed by everyone saying that precision turbos are sooo much mroe efficient, well after seeing just how efficient they are against the predecessor the t3 60-1 i am not satisfied one bit. it is a joke that keeps going. the only other turbo i would consider otehr than the t3 60-1 wold have to be full races t3/t67 but at 925 bux i think i would go with e t3 60-1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but how does the turbo lag between the two compare?

More efficient turbos tend to start producing power sooner in the powerband rpm wise.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think there is a bandwagon on here for a reason. A product proves itself. I have seen T3/60-1 turbochargers make 480whp - 500whp and when the individual upgraded (yes upgraded) to an SC61E/S they were able to make more power. I have seen countless SC61/E/S dyno's and all the owners were happy with the $700.00 - $825.00 they spent on their SC61E/S.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:10 PM
95GSRTT

so I guess Ill stick with the sc61 unless someone can come up with a better turbo for around the same price that spools faster and will hold 450 whp.

thanks guys
Old 06-19-2004, 07:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so I guess Ill stick with the sc61 unless someone can come up with a better turbo for around the same price that spools faster and will hold 450 whp.

thanks guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

the sc61 is hands down one of the best turbos for the money. And your not going to find a turbo that spools super fast, but can support 450 HP within your price range.

Landon
Old 06-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have talked to Inline Pro and Precision. It seems like they both prefer the new Precision GT35 over the Precision SC61. They are about the same price too. I'm curious what Arturbo thinks about it ... I know the GT32 has been producing some good numbers and powerbands lately.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM
95GSRTT

I know I wont find anything that spools really fast under a grand with that kind of power in mind. But from what I have heard the sc61 doesnt hit full boost til around 5000 rpms. Ill look into the GT35. Also would the SC50 work well too? lil bit smaller but I believe it supports like 400 whp doesn it?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">me and a couple of friends have sc61 turbos and out of all of us the one with the most power cna only get 427 hp @ 23 psi on c16 race gas. but i am tired of this bandwagon **** of the sc61. this turbo is not a GOD liek i thoguht it was. i ran into a friend today that has a gsr motor with just 9:1 pistons and rods and is running a garrett T3 60-1 and hes making 480 WHP on only 21 psi and ran a 11.2 today.

im sorry if i offended anyone but i have seen so many people make more power than me and my friends on t3 60-1 turbos on less BOOST than these shitty sc61 turbos.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't blaim your inability to build a car on the SC61. You're flat out idiotic if you think a T3/60-1 will outperform an SC61 on the exact same setup with the same amount of boost and timing, because it won't. You can't ignore physics and say the SC61 is **** because you're pissy because your car doesn't run right. The GT40 comp wheel is more efficient than the 60-1, and will outperform it, period. It's not a bandwagon, it's the truth.

Hell, lets all ditch computers and slap some carbs on our cars, eh? They're the predecesor to fuel injection, and since some people on here can't get fuel injection to run just the way they want to, it's **** and we should all go carbs because fuel injection is a BIG *** BANDWAGON. I know, how about we all live in ******* mud huts and teepees because some people have had their homes burnt down, that **** just sucks. Homes are a bandwagon! For that matter, lets ditch cars in general, because cars break down and people can die in them, cars are a bandwagon. Lets walk everywhere!!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC61 (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't blaim your inability to build a car on the SC61. You're flat out idiotic if you think a T3/60-1 will outperform an SC61 on the exact same setup with the same amount of boost and timing, because it won't. You can't ignore physics and say the SC61 is **** because you're pissy because your car doesn't run right. The GT40 comp wheel is more efficient than the 60-1, and will outperform it, period. It's not a bandwagon, it's the truth.

Hell, lets all ditch computers and slap some carbs on our cars, eh? They're the predecesor to fuel injection, and since some people on here can't get fuel injection to run just the way they want to, it's **** and we should all go carbs because fuel injection is a BIG *** BANDWAGON. I know, how about we all live in ******* mud huts and teepees because some people have had their homes burnt down, that **** just sucks. Homes are a bandwagon! For that matter, lets ditch cars in general, because cars break down and people can die in them, cars are a bandwagon. Lets walk everywhere!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

um i dont base these things on my car. i have 2 other people making more power than me on sc61 but at the same time we have other guys running t3 60-1 on teh same setup making more power. i am not talking about spool time im talking about flat out power. there are a group of is and 3 of us have sc61's and 2 others have t3 60-1 we all have bsically the same setups besides pistons brands we all have same compression and all were tuned by the same guy and out of all of your cars the t3 60-1 put down more power at a lower psi level than our sc61's did. this is not just my car. my car had the lowest outpout.

so **** off chip. i stated my opinion about the sc61 based on personal as well as others peoples experiences.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

um i dont base these things on my car. i have 2 other people making more power than me on sc61 but at the same time we have other guys running t3 60-1 on teh same setup making more power. i am not talking about spool time im talking about flat out power. there are a group of is and 3 of us have sc61's and 2 others have t3 60-1 we all have bsically the same setups besides pistons brands we all have same compression and all were tuned by the same guy and out of all of your cars the t3 60-1 put down more power at a lower psi level than our sc61's did. this is not just my car. my car had the lowest outpout.

so **** off chip. i stated my opinion about the sc61 based on personal as well as others peoples experiences. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe there (guys with 60-1's) setups are installed beter. you cant compare like that, there are too many variables. the only way to ompare would be to dyno your car with the sc61, then put the 60-1 and dyno that.

but hey if you want to sell your sc61 for a 60-1 go ahead, i just think your looking in the wrong spot. honestly its like selling a gsr motor, to get an ls motor .

Landon
Old 06-19-2004, 11:00 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um i dont base these things on my car. i have 2 other people making more power than me on sc61 but at the same time we have other guys running t3 60-1 on teh same setup making more power. i am not talking about spool time im talking about flat out power. there are a group of is and 3 of us have sc61's and 2 others have t3 60-1 we all have bsically the same setups besides pistons brands we all have same compression and all were tuned by the same guy and out of all of your cars the t3 60-1 put down more power at a lower psi level than our sc61's did. this is not just my car. my car had the lowest outpout.

so **** off chip. i stated my opinion about the sc61 based on personal as well as others peoples experiences. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is your argument then? That the sc61 isn't the most powerful turbo out there? Anyone could have told you that.

You could get a turbo off a diesel pickup that would make more power than an sc61, but would you want to?

If you want a pure dyno queen, then yes the sc61 probably isn't for you.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah man dont' knock the sc61. something is obviously wrong with your setup that might be cause it not to be efficient. there are numerous people on this board have made good power on it. it's one of the few bandwagons on h-t that actually seem to live up to it.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the only way to know for sure is to take that SC61 off, pop on a 60-1 and not change anything else but similar tuning. I still have to say the problems with your setup aren't related to the turbos inefficiency, though.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind one bit when someone goes against the trend, and it is funny to see everyone now..."inline pro, sc61, tial wg, tial bov blah blah"...as if they are mandatory parts. Lovin the hatred for the bandwagon, not lovin the fact that there is no proof.

There is an interesting thread that discusses the difference in the SC61's GT wheel...it would be nice if someone could go even more in depth.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=721423

Are the 60-1's youre buddies using the same story? S cover, .70a/r, etc? It would be interesting to see an unbiased dyno comparison.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:12 AM
the son and the heir

Default Re: SC61 (evil newgsrdriver)

Nextelbuddy brings up a few compelling arguements, so Chip, chill the hell out. It's true that there is a Precision bandwagon and I'll admit that I was on for the ride as well. I eventually bought a gt30r but was damn near close to getting an sc61. I want to know as well the eventual numbers that you'll get once the switch is made to a t3 60-1, with all things being equal.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC61 (macrosshn)

what's more important.. the powerband or just peak power?! Cant say one turbo is better just for peak power unless u think u gonna pick up some chicks with that.

Quick Reply: SC61