Notices

safe boost for motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe boost for motor?

i got a b18c it bone stock. has some bolt ons like, pro series intake mani, skunk2 tb, aem fuel rail and fpr, ngk wires blah. it is set up now with a .57 trim garrett running 261 whp at 7psi. i wanna run 300-350 whp. is that safe power to run on a daily driven stock b18c? on 93 oct. i looking to run 12-15psi. thank you!.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: safe boost for motor?

I wouldnt Run that much psi with a dd
Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The safe range for a stock internal B series is in the low to mid 300whp range. The power you can safely make is limited by a few things....1.) Your tuning software...the SAFC is NOT the best method 2.) Your fuel grade which at this point isn't much of a concern and finally 3.) Your MAP sensor: If you have a stock MAP, you'll be limited to ~11psi
Old 02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i made 261 on 7psi would 11 psi run about 300?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

300 or a little above should be fine. many other people have done it and have been doin it for years. the only thing i would recommend is maybe headstuds so you dont blow the gasket from higher boost.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM

theoretically it'll give you 309 hp
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to not waste thread space by starting a new topic but since this has been answered, what are the stock sleeves good to on a jdm 98 sepc type r with a wiseco/eagle setup?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to as in hp?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldn't have any problems reaching 300whp on the stock b16. You might want to upgrade your engine management though.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx6662
good to as in hp?
yes
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

better safe than sorry, keep the boost at what it is unless tuned for more. i'm on basemap 7 psi and wanted to see what a little more boost felt like, got a ghetto boost controller and accidentally did 12+ psi, it's a lot more agressive but i don't think i'll be doing that again.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
The safe range for a stock internal B series is in the low to mid 300whp range. The power you can safely make is limited by a few things....1.) Your tuning software...the SAFC is NOT the best method 2.) Your fuel grade which at this point isn't much of a concern and finally 3.) Your MAP sensor: If you have a stock MAP, you'll be limited to ~11psi
What??

How is it safe?

and before you respond, just cause someone else has done it successfully, doesnt mean its a fact that it will last.

There are so many factors they go into a reliable stock internal setup.

Also, MAP sensor has nothing to do with reliability.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by Psychoteen101
What??

How is it safe?

and before you respond, just cause someone else has done it successfully, doesnt mean its a fact that it will last.

There are so many factors they go into a reliable stock internal setup.

Also, MAP sensor has nothing to do with reliability.
First of all, learn to read before quoting and arguing with something i've said.

Originally Posted by Me
The power you can safely make is limited by a few things....Your MAP sensor: If you have a stock MAP, you'll be limited to ~11psi
I'm not saying that a MAP sensor is going to make or break the reliability of his setup RATHER that if he is running a stock one, he may not be able to hit the power goal that he wants.

Furthermore, welcome to HT with your 400posts. I'm glad you've argued with such a fundamental staple of the FI forum. The generally accepted 'safe' power range is low to mid 300whp. I've personally made 315whp on my last setup for 2 years. That isn't to say that one can slap together a shitty setup, run a basemap and expect to make 300+whp; however, i'm not going to outline every subtle detail for someone.

So Psychoteen101, before you respond the next time, know what the hell you're talking about...and who you're saying it to
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not just gonna raise the boost and go out and rip on it. i will get it re-tuned again so its set up for the boost level i have it set to. i just wanted to know if mid to low 300 whp range on a stock b18c would be safe at close to 11 or so psi without overdoing the stock internals
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Man U FTW

As long as you get it properly re-tuned, which you had planned already, you'll be fine. Before i had the $$ to build my current setup, i had a stock block GSR that i ran for 2 years with a GT3255b (similar to a 57 trim) at 10.6psi and made 315whp/216wtq on 91 octane. It was an amazing setup until an oil line fell off and the bottom end started to knock. Other than that isolated incident, i had NO problems with it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks man! and the rest of you
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if his motor is already weak from the beginning, with a good tune, it will be safe and reliable? Your making promisses that arent necessarily gonna come true. This is the problem with honda-tech. Threads like this get a bunch of idiots coming in and saying "ive made this much power for 5 years with no problems blah blah blah". Your sending the wrong idea. Then noobs will go ***** out with there turbo setup, blow the **** out of there motor and be all pissed off. My post count doesnt matter. I rarely use this forum and personally i dont really like the info that comes from most of the threads i view. Big deal, i have 4,000 posts on another forum. Post count means absolutely nothing.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Man U FTW

Ok, well for those of you who can't put 2 and 2 together without a little guidance, let me spell it out in simple terms.

If you want to boost your stock engine you need to first check if the engine is healthy. This can be accomplished by performing a compression and leakdown test. If the numbers are within 5% of each other (and aren't noticeably low), your engine should be in good enough health to boost safely.

Moving on from that point, the key to a reliable turbo setup is using quality parts. If you build with junk, you can't expect much from your setup and will most likely suffer a failure due to these inferior parts.

The most important thing to consider when building a stock internal turbo setup is the tune. This is a two-fold process: finding a good tuner and finding a good tuning software. I won't delve too far into this for time's sake (sarcasm loses it's touch when it drags on too far). Anyway, with the proper tune on a fuel that fits your needs and power goal you should be able to make decent power from your setup.

If you follow all of the steps above, you shouldn't have any problems. Now, where i think we're having issues is that you make it seem that i'm promising he'll make X power and will NEVER have problems. There are inherent risks assumed when you effectively double the power output of a stock engine; however, it has been done countless times and will continue to happen. Sure, people blow things up...**** happens. Hell, my own setup tanked itself due to a simple oil line falling off. Those are risks one assumes when boosting. I really dont see your point to this arguing. I can find another hundred people who will side with me and agree that IF the proper steps are taken, his goal of ~300whp is achievable 'safely.'
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Man U FTW

**I dont think my above post was necessary for the OP's needs. I believe that most people are smart enough to do the research before getting into a situation like this. If someone needs more help, i would most likely be the first one to give it.

If you have further questions/comments/concerns, you can reach me via PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im just trying to make it simple. No matter how good a tune is or the tuning software is, it doesnt surpass the weak points of the motor. Therefor, the only way you can call it a safe or reliable setup is by replacing internals. 80% of people turboing for the first time dont do the research needed and just dive right in. Giving examples of what type of power you made for x amount of time gives false hopes and makes people think its safe, whether you were trying to imply that or not.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Well. I have to say that yes, replacing internals is better insurance than even utilizing a stock engine, but honestly, if the assembly of those internals is not on par, he'd be better off with the untouched stock motor for now, until he has more definate goals in mind. I've had hundreds of people go straight to tearing down and rebuilding the engine in the name of "reliability" and have been worse off because they didn't take the proper steps or go to the right professionals to have it done properly. Now that person may have a mechanical issue on top of a tuning issue. Right.. real reliable.

OP: If you do the stock motor, make the proper safety checks, get the quality parts, err on the side of being conservative, understand the risks and benefits as you continue to learn and research. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, go to the pros for help. There's no need to OVER simplify this in a way that may provide false promises.

I think Schisterr66 made it pretty clear without inferring or insinuating any false promises of "magical" reliability. We're all on the same page here albeit attacking it from different perspectives.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
We're all on the same page here albeit attacking it from different perspectives.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have all quallity parts for my turbo kit. its a full greddy kit with tial wg and garrett turbo. it is tuned on hondata right now. the motor has 30,000 miles on it got it from passwordjdm.com when i got it tuned last year around july they said it was a really healthy motor. dont get me wrong i understand i am taking a risk of upping the boost. i know its not ever a bullet proof situation. just wanted to make sure it wasnt a dumb (dont do that you idiot you will throw a rod in 2 weeks) kinda thing. i daily drive the car i dont beat on it much unless i get it to the track.