b18c1
forged internals
race head
hondata
stock map
walbro 255
stock ignition
t3/t4 precision turbo

The problem came after some heavy racing. My car is running like crap I can't even drive it because it bogs down really bad. I pulled the plugs and they are carboned over pretty good. Which tells me the car is running rich. Sometimes it runs decent at low RPMs. and sometimes it doesn't. The compression test showed equal numbers and decent readings. Please some one help. I am not sure what to test for this issue. Thanks for any help
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Running too rich (98jdmcivic)

how old are the plugs?

I'd replace 'em. If you're using coppers, they need to be changed out like every month or two.

what do you mean by race head?

I'm surprised with all that engine work that you don't have a wideband to monitor your ratios.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running too rich (chimmike)

The head has been rebuilt with race valves, springs, and retainers. and I swapped the plugs out already, i am using NGK BPRxxx plugs. Is it possible that the stock ignition is going out?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how recently was this headwork done?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98jdmcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 98 ex coupe,
b18c1
forged internals
race head
hondata
stock map
walbro 255
stock ignition
t3/t4 precision turbo

The problem came after some heavy racing. My car is running like crap I can't even drive it because it bogs down really bad. I pulled the plugs and they are carboned over pretty good. Which tells me the car is running rich. Sometimes it runs decent at low RPMs. and sometimes it doesn't. The compression test showed equal numbers and decent readings. Please some one help. I am not sure what to test for this issue. Thanks for any help
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what exact plugs are you using? more than likely you are using too cold of a plug to start with. without a wideband you cant say for sure if its running rich. it would be nice to know what parts are in your motor instead of just "race" parts. im assuming the car has been properly tuned on a dyno?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running too rich (mike@synapse motorsport)

It ran fine for about a month, then all of a sudden it runs like crap. BCPR7ES are the spark plugs i am using. The head parts are from a local Tampa shop, race tech i believe. A shop in Atlanta tuned it and built the motor while i was deployed. The fuel system has had terrible issues, which have led me to replace the filter numerous times and the pump once. this problem i am experiencing could be plug injectors? I am not to familiar with performance builds. Where do I need to start troubleshooting. the wires have less then 5 ohms, and the cap rotor might need to be replaced but how can you tell if you need to replace the rotor. thanks again for all your help, the car has sat in the driveway for over a month now, i just got done doing a few timing belts for some friends . so now it is time for my car.

the head work was done 2 years ago.