Notices

The Right Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Right Turbocharger

A guy that usually responds to my topics that are posted named Spade says I need to come in here to discuss which type of turbo I need/want I was thinking about going through Turbonetics, using there T3/T4 Hybrid Turbocharger my reason for being is that it is a cross of both the small T3 and the larger T4 turbo whcih means that it shouldn't only give quick spools up and not provide any high end power, and at the same time it will not just work to the car's advantage at higher speeds. So that's who I had in mind yes I heard they're kind of expensive but they're good also. SO if anyone knows of anyone who makes better turbochargers and please I'm not just talking preferences here or for the dollar because I want to do this right the first time, please reply.I have a 98 Honda Civic EX(SOHC VTEC) and I want to begin modifying the fuel system and begin modifying the air induction system. My goal 275 hp. The components I think I will need are below and that is just a tip of the iceberg I want to bullet proof the engine with pistons rods a balanced crankshaft, dual valve springs and retainers everything. But these are just some of the components on the way to big turbo and also I believe I can get some decent hp from these upgrades so tell me what you think. Thank You.
I want to get an intake manifold(by who) is the question one preferably that can withstanding 250-300hp?
The next question is should I get it ported and polished for a cleaner and more precise flow of air?
I need to know the size of my stock and injectors and what is the largest size injectors I can upgrade to and moreover if the largest one's are the best or is there a size in the middle that would work better with my application?
I need to know how many throttle bodies my car has and what is the biggest over bore I can go over the stock and who is the best to go through?
Fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump if any of those are a necessity or should I keep the stock(I hear AEM makes a nice aftermarket kit with all those)?
Also who has the best spark plugs and wires for my application?
One more thing I wanna get a lot of parts that are gonna remain on the car when I purchase the turbo, I want a bigger free-flowing exhaust I hear Thermal's 3' exhaust are good, just wanna know and also if I'm going about this right?

P.S. Please help me out Honda-Tech!!

Sincerely,
Project_SOHC_EX

Old 03-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Right Turbocharger (Project_SOHC_EX)

I read like the first line of your post and suggest you do a search before the search ***** come after you, your lucky that I am not one of them.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:40 PM

A T3/T04E should be able to get you to your desired hp levels. You will need to try and do as much possible to get to 275-300 whp. Head work, valves, springs, retainers, metal headgasket on the top side! Sleeves, pistons, rods for teh bottom half! You will also need to consider purchasing a Stand alone engine management system to obtain these goals.

Here are some specs to a T3/T04E which should be able to support your desired hp level:

T3
.63 A/R Turbine Housing
Stage III Turbine

T04E
.50 A/R Compressor Housing
50 Trim Compressor Wheel

This should be able to support 325-350 whp without any problems! It may be a little on the laggy side, but it is needed. The .48 A/R housing will be too small to produce 275-300 whp. You can get the exhaust housing Extrude Honed to help with spool or even consider a ball bearing center section!

Is the car a Street car or a Drag car? If it is a Drag car you can get a larger turbo than if the car was going to be a street car. Manifold design will help aid lag as well! Good luck with your project!
Old 03-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Right Turbocharger (APEXSER)

DAMN finally somebody that knows what they're talking about. Louis first and foremost thank you a million times over man. I've been posting a lot of topics throughout the forums and people have been giving me the run around. I know that Turbonetics makes turbochargers specific to your car's application. So my next question is who should I go through for the exhaust or intake manifold(Louis that's something I'm confused on the parts to a turbocharger are only an intake manifold or both an intake and exhaust manifold). I was gonna go through Greddy and the kit that they make for my car but a friend of mine has the Greddy Turbo kit on his CRX Si and for reasons I cannot explain he has not generated the hp(400 so he says) that he so ever wanted. Now that they rebuilt the motor with new pistons rods all the goodies he says the car is running around 325-350hp at the wheels. But that's another story. Like I was saying I need to know who makes a good manifold and don't forget the question I asked you about manifolds if both are needed, Louis, better yet if you could tell me all the parts to a Turbocharger kit than that would be helpful. I know it's that actual Turbocharger, exhaust manifold(is that an alias for intake manifold) down pipe and then that runs to the exhaust system with the blwo off valves wastegate. So Louis hit me back when you can, once again you've been a big help. Thanks a million. Almost forgot I plan to go with a Hondata Stage 4 as a stand alone engine management system, how's that sound?

P.S. NICE ******* CAR and last question who makes a good intake or exhaust manifold or both?

Sincerely,
Project SOHC EX

[Modified by Project_SOHC_EX, 1:11 AM 3/6/2002]
Old 03-05-2002, 04:22 PM

A turbocharger uses an Exhaust Manifold! You should look into a nice Equal length stainless steel manifold for the D16. I am not sure if South Florida Performance has one, but it will be worth it to look into it! I think you will have a hard time making that kind of power with a Revhard or Drag cast manifold. I know for a fact that FMAX's log style manifold won't get you there! I know South Florida Performance makes custom manifolds and they may even have one for the D16. They use high carbon steel, I believe, and their design will help flow! You can always get the manifold coated by HPC along with the turbine housing! You will need to have it flanged for a T3 turbine housing along with an external wastegate! I would suggest a Tial 35mm external wastegate as it should be able to support 350 whp without any problems and they are very good units. It won't cost you an arm and a leg either! I would suggest that you look into getting the head ported and polished with the addition of stainless steel valves, .5mm larger on the exhaust side. You will need to look into getting a cam shaft with a lot of lift and little duration. Most all motor cams have a lot of duration which cause overlap, which is bad for turbocharged vehicles!
Old 03-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ppl are giving you the run around b/c your questions are ones that come up over and over again. There has been answers to all of your f/i questions, just use the search button!
Old 03-05-2002, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Right Turbocharger (APEXSER)

Hey Louis man it's me again(figures right) Anyways I was reading what you said about who to go through for the manifold only thing is do these guys have a web page I can go check out. I'm very interetsted in ther custom manifolds. Holla back!!

Sincerely,
Project SOHC EX
Old 03-06-2002, 05:05 AM

I think South Florida Performance's website is http://www.sfp.net .