Notices

Retarding Timing For 75 Shot: Got a question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retarding Timing For 75 Shot: Got a question...

I am putting a spray bar on my B18C1 and using a 75 shot. I have already ordered an MSD Window Switch, Walboro 255 HP Fuel pump, and NGK plugs. However, I also want to retard the timing 2 degrees as the manufacturer suggests, to ward off detonation and running lean while on nitrous. (I know it will be less powerful on the street when not under nitrous, but it'll be safer that way.) How do I go about retarding the timind two degrees. My friend has a timing gun so we do have access to one. How exactly do I retard it by two degrees? (It's an OBD 2 Ecu, I heard that can be bad--> WTF?) BTW, this is the kit:
Old 11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retarding Timing For 75 Shot: Got a question... (Tippyman98)

http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_18_6520.htm

Get yourself one of these. Not only will you be able to adjust timing that 2 degrees, but later if you bump that shot up you will be able to adjust for that as well. This will allow you to run normal timing everyday in the street, then once you apply 12 volts to the solenoids, that retards the timing for you.

Not only that, it will also help intensify the spark for you as well, which is what NOS (Nirous Oxide Systems) suggests as well.

Good luck,

Jason
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Retarding Timing For 75 Shot: Got a question... (SFWD 1934)

Yup, the digital 6 should do the trick. I used the 12v timing retard feature that came with it until I set timing back to 0 retard on 75 shot. Digital 6 has other great features as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot guys. Does anyone know if this will work with my OBD 2 ECU and Dizzy? I heard there was something bad about them and timing?

Modified by Tippyman98 at 2:24 PM 11/21/2005
Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what octane you running what cr
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b18c1 engine, 93 octane
Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock pistons?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup
Old 11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a odb2-odb1 step down easier to tune invest in some type of engine management to tune the shot
Old 11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ghostofnyc)

Never had any issues with OBD-2 A/B with nitrous and MSD set up. You can do the OBD 2 to OBD 1 conversion if you want. You will want either a P28 or P72 ECU and somehting like HONDATA or Neptune. If you don't feel like spending all that, jsut go with the MSD set up.

Jason
Old 11-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tippyman98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot guys. Does anyone know if this will work with my OBD 2 ECU and Dizzy? I heard there was something bad about them and timing?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never had a problem with my MSD setup on OBD2 and dizzy. Oh, one thing though, when you install the MSD box, readjust your timing with a timing light back to 16 degrees. I had that problem when I first installed my MSD. Car was real sluggish. Come to find out that timing was retarded a great deal. I just used a timing gun and set it back by moving the distributor.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was just giving suggestions i honestly dont like msd for the money get a standalone crome, uberdata, aem ems, neptune take your pick the first two are the cheapest
Old 11-22-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ghostofnyc)

you can get what they call a muli-step retard.when your not
spraying it goes back to what ever you have the timing set at.
you do not need to pull anytiming what so ever w/the 75...just simply bump
your fuel pressure up a little and READ ALL of your plugs.

i have sprayed 400 on a built b20 vtec and using a stock 97 gsr computer.
i like the thought of being able to tune the nitrous your self.thextra fuel
is what keeps the peaks down and the power up"grey area" i like to call
it the holy grail.

harv
Old 11-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no retard at all?! I was thinking i'd get the MSD in case i wanteed to bumo the shot up later on. is i later bumped to 100 shot do any internals need upgrading?
Old 11-22-2005, 03:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no retard at all?! I was thinking i'd get the MSD in case i wanteed to bumo the shot up later on. is i later bumped to 100 shot do any internals need upgrading?</TD></TR></TABLE>

slow down here.i hope you didn't think i meant on the 400 i have ran.
the msd multi step retard would work you also.it would let you keep
stock timing and when activated it would retard what ever you have it set at.
i have one if your interested.but it would be a good idea to get some kind of retard if you plan on upping the shot.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, i knew wut u meant. thanx man
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM

just wanted to be sure we both were on the same page.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1700anddroping)

Hey, I have a few more questions about my nitrous setup. I have decided to run the NOS cheater system:
Along with this I plan to run several safety features. Included in them is an MSD SCI Ignition controler:
and an MSD RPM Activated Window Switch:

I have a couple of questions. How do I run both of these controllers at once? Once I have the NOS system and MSD SCI ignition controller wired up together and working correctly, (I think I can figure out how to do that, I think.) how do I add the MSD Window Switch? I'm scared that it will take over the SCI controller and make it only work in the selected window. I want the window switch to only make the retard and nitrous system be activated during the selected window. Not the whole SCI controller too! How do I wire it in sequence to allow this? Any brief diagrams or sumthing would be helpful!

Cliffs: I want to run a window switch so the nitrous and timing retard is only activated in a certain rpm window. How do I wire this?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I have a few more questions about my nitrous setup. I have decided to run the NOS cheater system:
Along with this I plan to run several safety features. Included in them is an MSD SCI Ignition controler:
and an MSD RPM Activated Window Switch:

I have a couple of questions. How do I run both of these controllers at once? Once I have the NOS system and MSD SCI ignition controller wired up together and working correctly, (I think I can figure out how to do that, I think.) how do I add the MSD Window Switch? I'm scared that it will take over the SCI controller and make it only work in the selected window. I want the window switch to only make the retard and nitrous system be activated during the selected window. Not the whole SCI controller too! How do I wire it in sequence to allow this? Any brief diagrams or sumthing would be helpful!

Cliffs: I want to run a window switch so the nitrous and timing retard is only activated in a certain rpm window. How do I wire this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

truthfully you don't have to have the sci set up....just a good hot coil...like the hvc
coil.look at eric agular he runs 15+ compression w/ stock dizzy w/a powerful coil.there are also some t4 guys doing the same thing and one of them is jason hunt...so if it's good enought for him it should be good enought for you.

i think you would be happier w/the multi step retard...it is adjustable from 0-20 maybe more i think and it has 4 stages.it does all the work for you.just wire it up
and not worry about it.IT ONLY RETARDS WHEN THE NITROUS IS ACTIVATED.....so you can concentrate on the driving which is what you need to be doing.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Link? All i want is for the nitrous to run ONLY in a 3300-8000 rpm window and while it is running be retarded 1-2 degrees. whats the easiest way to do this. &lt;---theres a summation of everything i want. if u know of a link to sumthing that will do all that i will be SO hapy.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone can tell me how to do ^^^ That (my previous post) in one single unit i will be so happy it will amaze u.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Link? All i want is for the nitrous to run ONLY in a 3300-8000 rpm window and while it is running be retarded 1-2 degrees. whats the easiest way to do this. &lt;---theres a summation of everything i want. if u know of a link to sumthing that will do all that i will be SO hapy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then you would get a rpm activation swtich...set it to come on @3k
or so and cut off @ 8200...but it will not retard your timing....you will have to get a msd single retard switch....meaning it would be adjustable w/a ****.when your
done spraying turn the **** back to the normal setting or get the multi step and wire it up and set your timing that you want pulled and for get about it.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THANX! any links?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THANX! any links?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just go to yahoo and type in msd ignitions and look for msd web site.
good luck w/your set up.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1700anddroping)

WIRE FUNCTIONS
Yellow -This is the trigger output wire. It connects to the White wire of an MSD 6 SeriesIgnition or “Points” terminal of a 7 Series Ignition.
Red - This wire is responsible for turning the Timing Control on and off. It connects to a switched 12 volt source. It can be spliced into the small red wire of the MSD.
Black - This is the ground wire and must be connected to a good engine or chassis ground TRIGGER WIRES
Violet - These wires connect to the magnetic pickup of the distributor or crank trigger. TheGreen Violet is positive (+) and the Green wire is negative (-). When this connector is usedthe White wire is not.
White - This is the trigger input wire for breaker points or ignition amplifier. When this wire is used, the magnetic pickup wires (violet and green) are not.

-------------------------

This is the descriotion of how to install the timing controller into an MSD ignition equipped car. How do I install it into my car w/out the MSD ignition controller.

Quick Reply: Retarding Timing For 75 Shot: Got a question...