Notices

redline transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redline transmission fluid

is redline transmission fluid the absolutely best there is? which redline fluid should i use?

ive tried honda mtf and gm syncromesh and want to try something new..
Old 04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone swear by the stuff?

redline mtl?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mike93eh2)

I do, it cured my 3rd gear synchro problem so now I use it on both my hondas. Btw, I use the redline MTL
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the best place to order it? i hate summit and jegs because of their outrageous shipping and handling.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the honda mtf worked I would use it
Old 04-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried Redline, went back to Honda MTF.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s800)

Im a hardcore gm synchromesh user, but you said you tried it. that stuff is well worth its weight in gold. I recommend it to all my customers and they are all happy. tried the redline MTL and didnt get the feel from the tranny i got from gm. But its not gonna hurt to give it a shot. to each his own. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (a1320honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im a hardcore gm synchromesh user, but you said you tried it. that stuff is well worth its weight in gold. I recommend it to all my customers and they are all happy. tried the redline MTL and didnt get the feel from the tranny i got from gm. But its not gonna hurt to give it a shot. to each his own. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

GM synchromesh should not be used in Honda transmissions. It is a synthetic based oil.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

GM synchromesh should not be used in Honda transmissions. It is a synthetic based oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

???

half this site uses gm syncromesh? and that is what is in my tranny right now. so whats wrong with it?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">half this site uses gm syncromesh? and that is what is in my tranny right now. so whats wrong with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Half of this site does not use it, where did you come up with that? If you could get 10 people to post in here and say that they use it I would be impressed! I know this topic has been covered many times before.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been running syncromesh in my GSR tranny for 70k miles. 25k of those miles have been boosted. Zero problems. Tranny shifts perfectly. All my buddies run syncromesh in their tranny's too (D-Series, B-Series, and K-series).
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Half of this site does not use it, where did you come up with that? If you could get 10 people to post in here and say that they use it I would be impressed! I know this topic has been covered many times before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

here's 2.

I have used both the redline and the GM Synchromesh. I's say they perform very similar. I haven't noticed any difference. The GM stuff has been in the tranny for 3 years.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (mike93eh2)

i have used to many different fluids to list here. i have tried synthetics, conventionals, different weights and brands.

my favorites by far are GM synchromesh and the Redline MTL.

for a light grinder i would go Redline it seems to stop it. the synchromesh does too but gives a little smoother shift

but i think the Redline is better for a grinder it seems to resist the grind better than all others i have used. DONT use royal purple i would rather use f'ing ****.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:00 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (agrn93ls)

Thats 3 lol
I still would never recommend or run it.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats 3 lol
I still would never recommend or run it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you really want me to i can search gm syncromesh and come up with thousands. but im not going to waste my time..

just really wanted to know about redline mtl.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DRAGLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is the best place to order it? i hate summit and jegs because of their outrageous shipping and handling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I only use summit.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

I searched for redline and found some bad reviews.

The GM stuff is too think man I am telling you! People run it to try and cure grinds but any thinker oil will do that. The thicker oil will not properly lubricate bearings and differentials which is why an Honda dealer or honda manual will tell you to run 10w-30 if you don't have HMTF and to NEVER run synthetic oil. Your not even supposed to run the GM synchromesh fluid on some of GM's own vehicles.

SYNCHROMESH FLUID
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
QUAKER STATE® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. QUAKER STATE® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.
APPLICATION
QUAKER STATE® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is specifically formulated for synchromesh transmissions used by General Motors requiring General Motors Part No. 12345349 (Specification No. 9985648) Synchromesh Transmission Fluid or Chrysler transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464 (Specification MS-9224). It is also recommended for use in General Motor transmissions requiring General Motors Part No. 12345577. It is listed in the Pennzoil Lubrication Recommendation And Capacities Guide as “GLS.” QUAKER STATE® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is NOT intended for all GLS applications. You must verify the manufacturer’s part number, indicated by a superscript number and found at the end of the vehicle application listing.
BENEFITS
• Exhibits excellent low temperature performance
• Meets GM Specification 9985648
• Suitable for use in GM manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM part number 12345349 or 12345577.
• Meets Chrysler specification MS-9224
• Suitable for use in Chrylser transaxles and transmissions requiring part no. 4874464
• Excellent synchronizer performance
• Excellent yellow metal compatibility
TYPICAL PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
TEST METHOD TYPICAL RESULTS
API Gravity ASTM D-1298 27.3
Flash Point, COC, °F ASTM D-92 385
Pour Point, °F ASTM D-97 -50
Viscosity ASTM D-445
@ 40°C, cSt 41.6
@ 100°C, cSt 9.08
@ 100°F, SUS 209.4
@ 210°F, SUS 56.7
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 208
Material Number
12/1 Quart 56173

Check it: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1465832
Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you really want me to i can search gm syncromesh and come up with thousands. but im not going to waste my time..

just really wanted to know about redline mtl.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ME and a buddy used many different things in our honda's and his FD3S ( RX7 ) we both really liked the Redline MTL i WOULD DEFINATELY use it again if i wasnt so cheap. i just run Castrol GTX 20W50 cause i have a grindy 3rd and it helps alot.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear nothing but bad reviews about redline mtf, all regarding premature wear.

The GM stuff is too think man I am telling you! People run it to try and cure grinds but any thinker oil will do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a lot of people use it just for that, all it is, is a band-aid. If your trans is grinding and you put fluid in it, it may help it but its not going to fix anything. Fluid can't repair synchros
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (RCautoworks)

I use Mobil 5w30 in my tranny.

Don't try to band aid problems with your tranny by switching fluid

P.S. I had GM Synchromesh for awhile too, I honestly think it felt worse than my 5w30.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (GetawayInMoscow)

I ran synchromesh the last couple of months, untill recently my brother, who works at a Honda dealership told me that there is a new formulated Honda MTF. My high milege z6tranny shifts like butter!

Its crazy too b/c that new formula mtf has got the consistency of water.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: redline transmission fluid (sohc_turd)

i use amsoil 10w30
Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran synchromesh the last couple of months, untill recently my brother, who works at a Honda dealership told me that there is a new formulated Honda MTF. My high milege z6tranny shifts like butter!

Its crazy too b/c that new formula mtf has got the consistency of water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah i was just about to post something about this!

i decided to goto honda and get some mtf. i got to looking at it and i noticed it is almost like clear clear color and has the consistency of water.. i was like wtf.. then i noticed it had a new label on it that said new and improved formula.

well honda mtf is back in the tranny now but wont be driving it until the weekend.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Been Running GM Synchromesh in all my Hondas. Sure everyone has got their opinions and unverified facts and points they bring up. But damn this **** works GREAT for me. Kept my broken trannys running longer, thus saving a costly tranny swap.

Choice A: do it the "RIGHT WAY" and drop tranny, tear it apart, put new synchros and gears or forks (whatever is broken). Spend 5 hours and a Lot of money. Problem fixxed.

Choice B: Buy a new tranny for anywhere from $300-$1500. Spend 3 Hours putting it in. Problem should be fixxed, or I could have got a fucked up tranny. Time to waste time and money hunting down whoever sold me the tranny.

Choice C: Tranny is already griding and popping out of gear. Put some Gm Synchromesh in for 25 bucks. One week later problem goes away. Now I could go back to banging gears and beating Mustangs. If it messes up my tranny, well how much worst can it get? Just go back and try choice A or B now.

Now choice C sounds really good for me. If it doesn't work all that well im only out 30mins and 25 bucks, but it has worked everytime for me. I used it in 4 different Hondas and I have put over 20k miles in each after Gm Synchromesh and its still running strong.

To each their own, but its worth a try

I might try the new Honda MTF though and see how it compares.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i use synchromesh

Quick Reply: redline transmission fluid