Notices

really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2

Ok... A few weeks ago I posted a problem that I was having with running really lean... pretty much whenever I'd get into boost it would lean way out, and I decided (after checking everything else) to upgrade my injectors. I put in the 310cc rc's, and they work great now... solved my problem. But after this, a new problem arises:

When I'm driving at constant speeds (usually only a problem on the highway), and I'm neither accelerating or decelerating, every once in a while the a/f gauge will blip into the lean for a small fraction of a second (I mean a very very short period of time) and the car will bogg for that very small fraction of a second, and then return to normal like nothing if happening.

I talked to a few people around here... a friend with a built and boosted type-r, a guy with a boosted gsr, and they both have the same problem... they say its normal (although annoying) for these boosted integra motors. I talked to a good performance mechanic in Denver, and he said that its normal and you just have to live with it.

I don't like any of those answers, however... anyone else have this problem (because it seems to be a common thing up here)? Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:23 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (servion)

I don't have that problem....haven't ever heard of a problem like that either
Old 01-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking maybe I need bigger fuel lines? An aem fuel rail possibly or fuel filter? The thing is, it works great at WOT under boost
Old 01-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm, that's not normal.

Dustin
Old 01-24-2002, 04:25 PM
New User

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2

If it suddenly goes lean while you're driving and not under boost, then you've got something weird going on. You definitely don't need to upgrade fuel lines, i'm not sure what the problem is though.

-Xerxes
Old 01-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, when not accelerating or decelerating your ECU cycles the a/f ratio back and forth between rich and lean. This is why on most every car with an a/f guage you will see the light bouncing back and forth. That is the way it is supposed to work. It could be your car is going too lean though. I am thinking maybe you have something like a lazy O2 sensor or something along those lines.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:49 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (HXMan)

lazy 02 sensor?

Serious! Val! You know thats not it man. haha. But it was funny.

He needs a dyno to run it and have a guy stare at his fuel pressure, and then he will figure it out...

Jeff
Old 01-24-2002, 06:30 PM

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (ImportReview)

The lazy o2 sensor thing isn't all that obsurd. I had a problem like that with my Si. The ECU was lazy. It would bounce back and forth behind when it should have been doing it. I even took it to the honda garage... their diagnosis... retarded ECU. No joke. They never did figure out why it was slow.

Anyway, my ZC does the lean thing on rare occasions. Never under boost, but sometimes when just driving it will jolt a little and go lean. It almost feels like a bad miss. It's really rare though. Probably about once every five times I drive it for more tha 20 minutes.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (ImportReview)

lazy 02 sensor?

Serious! Val! You know thats not it man. haha. But it was funny.

He needs a dyno to run it and have a guy stare at his fuel pressure, and then he will figure it out...

Jeff
LOL! Everyone mistakes me for Hx_Guy. I guess it is time to change my screen name.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (therealciviczc)

I had the same exact problem with my boosted CRX. At light cruising i would feel the small miss. i began watching my 02 gauge and sure enough it would go rich then to lean and the car would miss when it went lean. it was intermittent and wouldnt always do it. as i am a mechanic i could not figure it out. i tested the tps voltage at all throttle postions, replaced my o2 sensor (it needed it leaded race gas kills o2's dead), watched the FP. the only thing i didnt do was replaed the ecu, which was probably where the problem lie. it only happened once in awhile and was so small of a miss is just lived with it until i sold the car.
good luck
my thought is the problem might be with the ecu. hope you figure it out. i would like to know what it is.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (lbz34)

well, I bnorrowed a buddie's gsr ecu, and it still does the same thing.... really weird. The only thing I haven't changed is my 02, and I have a spare one lyiung around... but since so many other people around here have the same problem I kindof doubt that will fix tia,.... any other suggestions?
Old 01-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Trial User

i dotn notice it going lean but i have something simliar to what you describe.... i just chalked it up to what everyone says i'll have problesm with using larger injectors than what i should be running... underboost and acclereration it runs fine.... but cruising and just pushing down occcasinally it will do that for a split second, like boging and if i go down a little more on the gas it goes away...

not sure what it is myself...
Old 01-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: really weird problem running lean: UPDATE PART 2 (GSRwBOOST)

I've been posting a similar problem for like the longest time. Whenever I'd be at partial throttle acceleration (usually between 5-7% Thr), the car would just randomly "cut out" on me completley, as if I'd just let go of the accelerator, and at the same time, the A/F gauge would go blank on me (going off the lean side), then a few seconds later if I kept my foot at the same position, the car would come back jolting me forward slightly and the A/F gauge would start reading again... I just chalked it up to an electrical gremlin somewhere between the AFC/injectors/ECU. However latley I've notived something peculiar. I haven't been having the same cutting-out anymore, and (I don't know if it's directly tied or a coincidence) the pressure readings on the AVC-R and V-AFC are now nearly the same. See before, my AFC would always read way off what the AVC-R would read, which I thought was because of the amount of correction I was usuing was distorting the ECU's reading, but I see now that I was incorrect, the AFC displays ACTUAL reading, not an altered reading, so latley they've both been read nealy identical amounts of vaccum, and I haven't had the same amont of cutting-out as I was expereicning before... talk about weird stuff!?