Notices

Read Me: phenolic anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read Me: phenolic anyone?

ok, i have recently written a program at work to cnc machine a gasket insert that will keep the intake manifold like crazy cold. i will try to get a video of this stuff in action, but if anyone knows this stuff, or has ever worked with it then you know its like flame proof and heat proof and water proof. but anyways, i have written the program and now i am trying to see if there is any interest in these from anyone else. the final product should be ready soon, i want to run a few more test on the piece before i just up and sell it.

The material is 1/4" thick phenolic, and i can offer this piece in 1/2" thick but then it would be up to you to supply longer studs or a way to bolt the manifold to the head. i can sell these as kits which will include 2 oem honda gaskets, and the phenolic insert. the phenolic insert is not meant to be a gasket, just something to stop the heat travel. or i can sell just the phenolic piece by itself.

Im pretty sure i can make one for any head, the program i have currently written is for a b16a2 head (and everything else thats the same) with a stock port job. if you have a ported head then all i will need is a stencil of your ports.... for instance take an oem gasket and just cut the ports out, like you would do anyways.

So anyways i didnt really know where to post this so i put it in here, because not only am i looking for people who might be interested in this peice, but because i also want to leave it open for discussion. and some might say that the air traveling through the intake manny doesnt pick up enough heat to worry about.... well my question is, based on common theory of motors, is wouldnt it be better if it didnt pick up any heat at all?

Pictures of the current piece. Remember all this has been cut out by a cnc machine, well more specifically a machine called a triax.

message me if you are interested, or you can pm me at skew8701 on aol. thanks for your time
Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read Me: phenolic anyone? (turbodohcsi)

Nice FS thread.... reminds me of a product already out though.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM

damnit, i did not know it was already made, thats the only reason why i made my own. wow, i didnt even think about making all those gaskets, maybe i will now. but i guess if anyone is still interested maybe i can beat their price. so just let me know
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

whats the advantage of this over lets say a hondata gasket?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

well without numbers to back everything up, i would be roughly saying that this piece will keep iat's cooler than the hondata gasket, and once i get a vid of it, then i think yall will be amazed. you can hold a flame to one side of it and keep your hand on the other side and NEVER feel the heat come through, and then after your done trying to catch it on fire you can touch the side you held the flame to in a matter of seconds...... and i really dont think that the intake side of the head will get as hot as the flame does. and besides, being that i make these at work i can probably sell them for cheaper than hondata, or outlaw
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

outlaw's kit is over $100 it's ******* rape for what little gains it gives
Old 02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (s13-t)

hondata has had one for a couple of years. Its like $60
Old 02-06-2006, 03:50 PM

i was thinking since outlaw claims 5.XX horsepower from this product that yall could just im me if interested.

Modified by turbodohcsi at 3:17 AM 2/7/2006
Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read Me: phenolic anyone? (Boostage)

i think maybe one of the advantages over the hondata/password/an-r gasket is that it doesn't deform? i have heard that hondata gaskets deform and block the ports, again HEARD, i haven't really seen.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:27 PM

lol, i will almost promise that this will not deform. once again i cant gurantee it because i have not had time to see. but if you knew how hard this stuff was, youd understand.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:36 PM

Too bad carburetor guys have been using phenolic spacers for years.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (TGrant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGrant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Too bad carburetor guys have been using phenolic spacers for years.</TD></TR></TABLE>
how's that a "too bad" situation? they paved the way for someone to come out witha product like this for hondas

if anything, we owe EVERYTHING to domestics
Old 02-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: (s13-t)

yeah, i dont see how that is a case of being "to bad." but whatever finds your lost remote. this thread isnt meant to make me look like a genious that just found the cure for hot iat's.... granted i thought that was the case, lol (just playin)..... but yet this thread is to educate and possibly profit off of something that i guess has been around for years.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will be the first to try on a boosted b18c and gettin one for my b16a too, i will keep you guys updated.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (b18ccivics)

I'm curious as to what grade it is, and if the material has the properties to allow for filing/grinding in the future (if one was to port his head/IM).

BTW don't mention prices or even selling, at least not directly. IIRC, you have to be a sponsor to do so, and can't advertise in tech forums. Just talk it up, such as how you are making a bunch for locals or friends
Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM

thanks for the advice. but this really is a tech discussion also. and yes it can be filed, or sanded down at later point in time. it is a very hard material so it take a little work, but you can reshape the ports on it. or you could do like a few of my friends are doing and just make a stencil of the ports so i can just machine the ports out to the size the ports are.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 PM

hmm, phenolic to keep heat down? phenolic has been used for a while on jump/break pool cue-tips. some cuemakers choose phenolic because of its high impact resistance qualities. pretty strong stuff, but i didnt know it had thermal-resistant qualities as well.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (runeminaEF9)

I'm currently doing some temp studies with ceramic header coatings. Would be willing to volunteer to do a intake manifold temp study too!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM

if your talking to me, youve been pmd
Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your a little late with the phenolic gasket.....defcon-racing has been making them for a while now.

http://www.defcon-racing.com/phenolicspacer.html

not to many people have heard about defcon-racing thats probably because here from canada.......but the product works well....
Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read Me: phenolic anyone? (non-VTEC)

PM sent
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read Me: phenolic anyone? (EF'n Turbo)

Ive had the race one which blocks the port from the head to the intake to the thermostat for six months and havnt had any problems. But ive only driven it a few hundred miles.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Read Me: phenolic anyone? (crxhybrid1320)

dodge uses this stuff for the pistons on the SRT brakes. its impossible to boil the fluid with this material. i would imagine if it can handle the heat of hard braking it can do some good on head-IM heat transfer.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 AM

keep the discussion and interest coming. the only thing i will say is that personally i think defcon-racing products looks kinda crappy, look at the edges, and besides it looks to be 3/8"s or maybe even a 1/2" meaning youd have to buy new studs. and i BELIEVE that the phenolic they use is a low grade material. the stuff i use is what CHICKFILA uses in every single store for front counters, and all the cabinets that go in the grill area.... and if this stuff is good enough for the owner of chickfila, i promise its some good stuff.

Quick Reply: Read Me: phenolic anyone?