Notices

Radiator fluid splashing on window

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle...

Whenever I'm on full-throttle, I notice splashes of radiator fluid on the windshield. And if I drive fast for a while, the heat starts to increase especially if I stop. But once I start moving again, it slowly goes down. There is NO leak from the radiator. It just seems that fluid is escaping from somewhere. And I'm not sure what is going on.

BTW, I've got a fluidyne radiator w/ a fluidyne cap (21lbs). I'm using the stock rubber hoses. Just to add, I'm boosting too

What could be wrong?

[Modified by 400_2roll, 5:39 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle... (400_2roll)

are you using the jdm type r radiator fluid? jk Im just curious, are you leaking the fluid from your reservoir over flow tank? Are your fans turning on? Since you mentioned you are heating up when you stop it sounds like you have air in your coolant lines. My guess is your headgasket may be going bad or one of your coolant lines is not sealing properly. Next time you take your car out, pop your hood and make sure everything is nice and dry. Take it for a drive, park it, put it on jackstands, pop your hood, and inspect for leaks.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle... (GudeH23a)

my car does the similar besides the coolant on windshield. After a long hard drive, loosen the coolant "air drain nipple" on the block and let the air out. That is the only thing that solves my problem of overheating after a long drive as of now. I have to do this every week.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle... (GudeH23a)

Thankx for the replies.

It seems that the cap on the reservoir over flow tank pops open when on full throttle, and there goes my "JDM Type R radiator fluid ." (That makes everything not nice and dry). Then it overheats. Fans do turn on. Coolant lines seem to be okay. I also drained air from that thing on the block before running.

It seems that my headgasket is going bad, so hopefully I'll be checking that tonight. Where can I get a headgasket with the same specs as OEM but metal instead?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle... (400_2roll)

I think you diagnosed your own problem. Pressure from head gasket leaks builds in lines and blows off the holding tank cap. You might try replacing your radiator cap first before doing the head gasket.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Radiator fluid splashing on windshield in full-throttle... (earl)

I have the radiator cap from Fluidyne, which goes with the Fluidyne radiator. The pressure is 21lbs or 1.5 bar (I think). I tried changing it, but still the same problem came up.

I still didn't get the chance to inspect the headgasket. Hopefully I'll get to that tonight.

Thanx.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the kind of power you are putting down, im 100% sure its your headgasket. Believe me, i speak from experience. This exact same thing happened to me as well. The OEM headgaskets are usually good for up to 500whp so i would try to stick with them. Maybe toss in a set of arp head studs and head back to the dyno so make sure everything is tuned properly still.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:35 PM

I already have arp head studs. It's probably is the headgasket like you said. So do you think I should stick w/ the OEM headgasket or should I purchase a metal one with the same OEM specs?

BTW, I have a problem over here with having no dynos in the COUNTRY! People usually tune on the streets. I was lucky to have my car dynoed and tuned in Chicago. After that I shipped to over here.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you take apart your motor make sure you notch the position on the camcap and distributor so when you assemble everything again your timing will be the same. where exactly are you located? When you say a metal headgasket with OEM specs.... which one are you talking about? A lot of the guys on this board that push out over 400whp still stick and recommend the OEM's. I know ive blown 1 sofar and i plan on using another OEM one. Other then my experience, a blown headgasket is usually resulted from improper tuning, no offense to you or your tuner.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:55 AM

First of all, I'm located in Bahrain (a small island in the Persian Gulf). Second, by metal gasket, I mean the same thickness but metal instead. However, since you're saying that some guys on this board are using the OEM and they're pushing 400hp+, I guess I will do the same too.

The car was properly tuned in Chicago, however, when I moved back home it seems that it just needs fine tuning. Weather is totally different over here. It's more humid and hot. BTW, No offense taken
Old 01-20-2003, 08:38 PM

It turns out that I DO need to change my headgasket. Also, one of the "caps" that keep the cam in place is broken, so that needs to be changed too. Everything else seems to be okay.
Thanx
Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad to hear we were of help