Notices

race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default race fuel

i am testing the waters here to see what people perfer for forced induction race fuel.
I am currently ruinning C-16 and thinking about running either Q-16 or VP import to try and get a little more out of it. what have people seen in the good and bad with these fuels?

Also when looking at the spec sheet for the different fuels what are you looking for besides just the octane level. i notice the specific gravity is close between the different ones.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: race fuel

Q16 and VP Import are oxygenated fuels and you can see a little more power from them over the C16 due to that. Q16 is compareable cost to C16 and VP Import cost a bit more than the C16 or Q16 blends. I dont use either personally but I know Q16 is decently popular when you consider it makes more power and is similar cost to normal C16. VP Import is also somewhat popular, although not as much as Q16 I dont think due to the cost which is kind of a turn off from what I gather in reading online.

Both Q and Import do not hold up as well sitting around though from what I have seen, especially in a vented tank... they more quickly degrade than non oxygenated fuels. I have also seen pictures circulating that show VP Import left sitting in a tank did corrode it over time and when drained it was a mess. That was over on the evo forums. Dont know how common that issue is. Other downside I know to oxygenated fuels, the additive mtbe in them is not compatible with certain injectors due to what materials the internals of them are made of (like the ID2000's). The additive reacts with some of the material which cause a slight swelling of the valve I guess its called (?) and reduces the flow of the injector a bit.

Hopefully this spurs some others to add their input, since I dont use either and this is mostly just what I gather from reading online. I added VP's description of them below as well just cause.

From VP site:
Q16:

Q16 will work well in any drag racing application -- naturally aspirated, nitrous or blowers. Q16 is highly oxygenated, requiring a 4-6% increase in fuel flow, which will make 3-5% more power than competitive 116 octane fuels. Q16's oxygenation will significantly expand the range of air/fuel ratio acceptability, so performance will be more consistent and won't vary as dramatically with altitude or density changes. For bracket racers, variations in ET from run to run will be substantially reduced. This added fuel flow also effectively increases its octane by 6-8 numbers above its standard ASTM octane rating.

VP Import:

Maximum power and torque in small displacement, high RPM, all motor, turbocharged or nitrous sport compact applications. Makes 5% more power than C16 and similar nonoxygenated fuels. Works well under high temperatures due to mechanical heat.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you use?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the write-up above, i would lean toward using Q16
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run q16 and like it very much. My set up picked up about 25hp on it. But that was on a rich tune everthing a read says u need to run the q leaner then the norm but have not tryed that yet. so far i really like the q. and DAM THE VP IS TO DAM HIGH PRICED FOR ME.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the above. Sunoco 112 leaded.

For me alot plays into that choice though... had to be something locally available (which VP was not at the time), I drive on the street but run nothing but racegas so I dont wanna go overkill on fuel I didnt need since alot of street driving is cruising, yet I still need enough octane though that I could make the power I wanted, etc... 112 just fit the bill for me.

VP C16 or Q16 muchless Import would double my fuel or more and I am not ness. needing the added octane or oxygenation of them. I have not maxed out my setup and am looking for a little more, nor have I pushed beyond what the 112 can handle thus far.

When I got for more power and take it back down to Texas. If Tony @ T1 says I need to run something more, I will step it up but for me right now the Sunoco 112 suits my needs right now.