Notices

Which A/R is best??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which A/R is best??

I have a Stock block gsr and wondering which a/r is best to use, 48 or 63?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (Chee_dog)

.63, i had that on my gsr, i loved it, .48 will choke up top, quick spool but will run out of steam, from wat i have heard smaller A/Rs are good for short reving motors
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (Dual Cam Racing)

What turbo are you going to be using? But .63. .48 will defiently run out of gas up top though.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm planning on running a t3 but not sure which one i want to use yet.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chee_dog)

Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.63, i had that on my gsr, i loved it, .48 will choke up top, quick spool but will run out of steam, from wat i have heard smaller A/Rs are good for short reving motors</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would this apply to a t3/60-1 on a GSR
Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (Cole D)

.63 is even to small if you want any more then 500hp in time
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (fmfkid250)

i think there are more factors than just the AR that determine spooltime and power capabilities, im not sure of wich measuments would determine that, but i know that isnt the only one.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:22 PM

If revving past 8k I would go with the .82 a/r housing
Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (WalkerGSR1)

.82 a/r

Go big or go home.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.63, i had that on my gsr, i loved it, .48 will choke up top, quick spool but will run out of steam, from wat i have heard smaller A/Rs are good for short reving motors</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.63, i had that on my gsr, i loved it, .48 will choke up top, quick spool but will run out of steam, from wat i have heard smaller A/Rs are good for short reving motors</TD></TR></TABLE>
wrong! i have a .48 on my stock gsr, and my last stock gsr did too, one made 299whp on 12psi and the other one made 316whp on 11psi , both pulled hard to redline , tony1 also suggested getting the bigger housing, i didn't take his advice and just wanted to see what it would do with the housing i had, i think he thought i had a .63 on when i tuned... it kinda surprised him that i made 300whp, twice, cause he was thinking it might be hard to do... i run open downpipe 3in if that would make any difference... yes a smaller turbo with .48 might choke up but a bigger one with that housing does pretty nice. FAST spool and didn't choke at all
Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (tannerLSt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wrong! i have a .48 on my stock gsr, and my last stock gsr did too, one made 299whp on 12psi and the other one made 316whp on 11psi , both pulled hard to redline , tony1 also suggested getting the bigger housing, i didn't take his advice and just wanted to see what it would do with the housing i had, i think he thought i had a .63 on when i tuned... it kinda surprised him that i made 300whp, twice, cause he was thinking it might be hard to do... i run open downpipe 3in if that would make any difference... yes a smaller turbo with .48 might choke up but a bigger one with that housing does pretty nice. FAST spool and didn't choke at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

What turbo? Setup/redline? Dyno sheet?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (LeGeND4LiFe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wrong! i have a .48 on my stock gsr, and my last stock gsr did too, one made 299whp on 12psi and the other one made 316whp on 11psi , both pulled hard to redline , tony1 also suggested getting the bigger housing, i didn't take his advice and just wanted to see what it would do with the housing i had, i think he thought i had a .63 on when i tuned... it kinda surprised him that i made 300whp, twice, cause he was thinking it might be hard to do... i run open downpipe 3in if that would make any difference... yes a smaller turbo with .48 might choke up but a bigger one with that housing does pretty nice. FAST spool and didn't choke at all </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wanna see it make 4xx+ with that turbo and a dyno sheet, and see where the tq and hp starts dropping

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LeGeND4LiFe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What turbo? Setup/redline? Dyno sheet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would like to see this also
Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 AM
New User

At least a .63 A/R, if the above posted made good #s with a .48 A/R he would've made EVEN BETTER #s with a .63 A/R and spool wouldn't have been much slower . I wouldn't put a .48 A/R on anything but a SOHC , MY .02
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't put a .48 A/R on anything but a SOHC , MY .02 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Troof right there. I ran a SC50 .48 a/r on my old SOHC and GSR motors. Honestly, it spooled pretty damn quickly on my GSR but I would have rather had a .63 a/r for ridiculous top-end.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM
New User

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Troof right there. I ran a SC50 .48 a/r on my old SOHC and GSR motors. Honestly, it spooled pretty damn quickly on my GSR but I would have rather had a .63 a/r for ridiculous top-end. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing is everyone looks at the SIMPLE answer to a A/Rs quicker or slower spool BUT the more important thing is BACK PRESSURE, you want to be as close to a 1:1 for optimal power and efficiency. With a proper ratio the turbo will provide great spool but also best power output

Now everyone isn't going to do that try to get to a 1:1 Pressure ratio BUT the bigger housing will provide less backpressure that is why Tony1 didn't recommend the .48 A/R, again regardless of the #s above with the .48 A/R they would have been better with a .63 A/R and spool would not have much different really, maybe 300rpm or so that os nothing for the power output provided by the bigger A/R again my .02
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wanna see it make 4xx+ with that turbo and a dyno sheet, and see where the tq and hp starts dropping

i would like to see this also</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think its too smart to try to make 400whp+ on a stock GSR motor now is it????? he said best a/r size for a STOCK gsr... i think little over 300whp is just about right for a daily driver

want a dyno sheet... here you go bitches.... i never once said .48 is better. but it made power and plenty of it, yes it would probably have made a little more with the .63 , but it DID NOT choke up like all of you are saying. and back pressure wasn't a problem running open downpipe

Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 AM
New User

Default Re: Which A/R is best?? (tannerLSt)

i don't think its too smart to try to make 400whp+ on a stock GSR motor now is it????? he said best a/r size for a STOCK gsr... i think little over 300whp is just about right for a daily driver

want a dyno sheet... here you go bitches.... i never once said .48 is better. but it made power and plenty of it, yes it would probably have made a little more with the .63 , but it DID NOT choke up like all of you are saying

</TD></TR></TABLE>

People have done over 400whp with stock motors, so what. How long do they last? Some a long time with a proper tune andothers not so long. He said best A/R well you gave your OPINION. You also THINK a little over 300whp is best for daily drive.

This will come down to personal preference, you could make the same horsepower with less boost with the .63 A/R and maybe the original poster would like that better and also have room to grow and make more power later with the bigger turbine housing. If the OP wants to make 300whp and NEVER EVER EVER turn up the boost and make more power then maybe your turbo set up is perfect for him , OH if he wants it to spool like yours. People never ever outgrow their set ups though
Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

no i just saw all these people hating on the .48 , and that it will choke up.... obviously it didn't, ya there ARE people that run 400whp on stock motors but not for long... highest i'd go is 350whp... i'm not just saying that. TONY doesn't like to go higher than that too
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
New User

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i just saw all these people hating on the .48 , and that it will choke up.... obviously it didn't</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you honestly feel the .48 A/R did not choke you up and that you could have made more power with the .63 A/R? And that you could have run lower boost with the bigger A/R and made the same power?

Done any backpressure testing on each?

I am not hating on your .48 A/R BUT I feel the .63 A/R is still a better choice no matter how often I see your dyno chart and #s again my .02 Everything is subjective man. Everyone wants to hit full boost at 2000rpm and make power up to 10,000 Rpm with the most power avaiable, it doesn't happen that way unfortunately

My .02 , I think I gave up about 6 cents now

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i just saw all these people hating on the .48 , and that it will choke up.... obviously it didn't, ya there ARE people that run 400whp on stock motors but not for long... highest i'd go is 350whp... i'm not just saying that. TONY doesn't like to go higher than that too</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree on the 350whp or so, you can do it btu how long will it last. But then people build their motors and now they have a .48 A/R on a 2.0 liter block lol , now you got spool at 3000rpm and runs out of steam at 7000rpm lol
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i just saw all these people hating on the .48 , and that it will choke up.... obviously it didn't</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a graph showing rpm, and with hp and tq on equal scales? When do you hit full boost and whats your redline?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LeGeND4LiFe)

i ran the .63 with good sucess on a stock gsr.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: (HamiltonRex)

.63 recommend it and using it.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you honestly feel the .48 A/R did not choke you up and that you could have made more power with the .63 A/R? And that you could have run lower boost with the bigger A/R and made the same power?

Done any backpressure testing on each?

I am not hating on your .48 A/R BUT I feel the .63 A/R is still a better choice no matter how often I see your dyno chart and #s again my .02 Everything is subjective man. Everyone wants to hit full boost at 2000rpm and make power up to 10,000 Rpm with the most power avaiable, it doesn't happen that way unfortunately

My .02 , I think I gave up about 6 cents now

I agree on the 350whp or so, you can do it btu how long will it last. But then people build their motors and now they have a .48 A/R on a 2.0 liter block lol , now you got spool at 3000rpm and runs out of steam at 7000rpm lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

no the gsr didn't choke up, and tony was very surprised after we tuned and i said it was another .48ar housing. i had two friends recently tune a stock gsr with SC61 with .63 a/r housings , and at around the same boost pressure we made the same power, one made 250whp @ 8psi , which i made the exact same number! and the other one made 289whp @ 11psi.. (smoking motor) but i made around the same power. actually i made more power than both, all tuned by tony1...both these guys had almost and identical set up... another stock gsr around here with a sc61 also made around 325whp on 12psi .... now these guys aren't getting full boost till around 5k, mine much much earlier than that... tell me who's gonna come out on in front? yes the .63 will make maybe 10-20whp more, but the extra spool time is worth it to me. i'm throwing rods and pistons in my block now but i'm not keeping the .48 housing... i'd say if you want around 300whp the .48 is good as long as the turbo isn't too small, if you want 350whp and higher go with .63 or even bigger.

turbo i used to hit 316whp and 220wtq was a t3/t04E, .60 / .48
299whp was unknown , its a garrett, .50 / .48
full boost comes in pretty early, around 3800-4k and holds to redline, and when vtec kicks in it make a lil more boost
Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
New User

no the gsr didn't choke up, and tony was very surprised after we tuned and i said it was another .48ar housing. i had two friends recently tune a stock gsr with SC61 with .63 a/r housings , and at around the same boost pressure we made the same power, one made 250whp @ 8psi , which i made the exact same number! and the other one made 289whp @ 11psi.. (smoking motor) but i made around the same power. actually i made more power than both, all tuned by tony1...both these guys had almost and identical set up... another stock gsr around here with a sc61 also made around 325whp on 12psi .... now these guys aren't getting full boost till around 5k, mine much much earlier than that... tell me who's gonna come out on in front? yes the .63 will make maybe 10-20whp more, but the extra spool time is worth it to me. i'm throwing rods and pistons in my block now but i'm not keeping the .48 housing... i'd say if you want around 300whp the .48 is good as long as the turbo isn't too small, if you want 350whp and higher go with .63 or even bigger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep posting till you're blue in the face I AM NOT SOLD!

Quick Reply: Which A/R is best??