Notices

A quick and painful update on my idling issues..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A quick and painful update on my idling issues..

As you may remember, I posted a while back about my troubles with my car's idle. Slowly but surley it got worse and worse to the point where the car now struggles to idle almost all the time. Under acceleration it's fine, drives like a charm, but the bastard doesn't want to idle for it's life..

Well after much searcing I *thought* I narrowed it down to a bad O2 sensor. I swapped the primary and secondary O2 positions and changed plugs (heavily fouled) and it ran great, for maybe an hour, then went right back to hell. I thought maybe both O2 sensors were damaged from excessive fuel in the system, so I went ahead and bought a Denso O2 sensor from http://www.thepartsbin.com ($98!), finally got it Saturday. Of course I wasn anxious as hell to put it in thinking I was finally going to have a 'normal' car again after more than a month of putting up with this tempermental beast.. so I go ahead and install the new O2, reset the ECU, start the car....:cough cough Put Put:... it's STILL dumping fuel at idle

Well I give up. I'm calling SFP and having Frank review the Hondata maps and hoping he spots a problem, cause if it's not the Hondata, and not my O2/plugs.. then i'm seriously stuck!

[Modified by VTC_CiViC, 10:54 AM 7/16/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A quick and painful update on my idling issues.. (VTC_CiViC)

That sux man. Do you have a fuel pressure guage? Have you had your injectors cleaned? I hate problems like that because it could be a million things. I guess your car is still starting shitty too?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A quick and painful update on my idling issues.. (Dutchie)

Yea, pressure is at 50psi at idle, always has been. Injectors are fairly new so it's not them.. I'm stumped
Old 07-16-2002, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you injector is broken (stuck open, or partially open) then that could be your problem. Injectors can go bad regardless of how old they are (however unlikely). I would pull each injector out, start the car and observe the spray pattern into a glass jar. You may even learn something.

Oh and BTW. if you have a hondata why the hell is your Fuel pressure at 50psi? It should be down in the 30's - that's where your fuel system is most efficient / precise. If its that high because you're not getting enough fuel up top (or wherever) than you need new injectors. Check you pulsewidths - if you have room, increase the PW and decrease your idle pressure, that could solve your problem too!

just my 0.02. good luck

[Modified by stizzit, 8:47 AM 7/16/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel you VTC mine was idling bad and dumping extra fuel at idle even with -50% on the afc......but then i broke the piston ring land or so HT tells me so i ordered new pistons with rings and i'm abotu to order rods and a clutch

yeah but when you find out the problem can you please tell me so i can look into it on my car

thanks good luck with your car