Notices

Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question.

My g/f's del sol will not pass emmsions the NOX number is to high. After talking with some people it seems that high EGT will cause that number to be high. The plugs looks like it is running lean so I took my wideband out of my car so I can see what her a/f is.

Will it matter if I take the stock O2 sensor out to put my wideband in? Will that throw the ecu off? I know it will throw a code but I am not sure if it will throw the ecu into a limp mode or make it run richer then it really is. I am thinking it will just want to double check.

Also what should her a/f be like at WOT it is a NA LS.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question. (underpressure02)

ttt
Old 12-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question. (underpressure02)

when i took the 02 sensor out of my si it threw it into limp mode after about 2 hours of driving. The only code it threw was the 02 sensor so i know that's what caused the limp mode. Im just not too sure as to why it took so long, so u might want to be careful with that. It also caused it to run richer than it did without the carsound cat and missing o2 sensor.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question. (WreckedTeggie)

a/f should be 14.7:1 when crusing. if you mean take out the stock O2 and use the WBO2's narrowband simulated output insted i doubt it'll pass emmissions just becasue you "tampered" with the car's orignal emmissions control devices (O2 sensor)
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question. (WreckedTeggie)

correct me if im wrong, but i dont think EGT causes NOX, but rather, NOX is caused by high temperatures in the combustion chamber due to a lean mixture or some combo of things (thus causing higher EGT).

second, if you pull the o2 sensor and you dont send a narrowband to the ecu, then the car cant go into closed loop first of all (which i cant imagine will help emissions) and second of all you may not even pass because an o2 sensor is a required emissions device (i'm guessing). the best way for you to do it is get a wbo2 that has a narrow and wide output, so you can monitor while allowing closed loop to happen.

forgot to mention that if you want to monitor under open loop with your wb but no narrow feed to the ecu, then you wont know whats going on under closed loop conditions, so it will not matter anyway.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick O2 sensor question and a/f question. (b18-c-rx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18-c-rx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct me if im wrong, but i dont think EGT causes NOX, but rather, NOX is caused by high temperatures in the combustion chamber due to a lean mixture or some combo of things (thus causing higher EGT).

forgot to mention that if you want to monitor under open loop with your wb but no narrow feed to the ecu, then you wont know whats going on under closed loop conditions, so it will not matter anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I should have been more clear when I wrote the post.

I don't want to take the stock O2 sensor out to try and get it to pass emmissions I wanted to take it out so I can put my wideband in and see what her a/f is. I am pretty sure it is running lean and Hot b/c her NOX # is so high.

What I meant by EGT causing NOX is that the Higher the Exhaust Gas Temp the Higher the NOX # will be, which prob means it is running lean.

What I was trying to avoid was having to weld another bung in her exhaust so that I can put my wideband in and see what her a/f is. I guess that is what I will need to do to get this to work properly.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take the stock O2 sensor out, put yours in and run the simulated narrowband to the O2 sensor input at the ECU.

Also, to avoid throwing the O2 heater code i suggest leaving the stock O2 sensor connected to its plug but zip tie it under the car. Easier than soldering resistors etc