Notices

A quick nitrous poll....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick nitrous poll....

Just wanted to see what is the most popular/most used type of nitrous system. Please post whether you have any experience with with the kits and how you like them!
Old 05-11-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (Rydaddy)

If you're gonna use nitrous do it right and get a NOS direct port. More power and safer.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ZEX is a good kit. The only big reason ZEX wins over NOS and NX it the TPS trigger voltage. The juice kicks on a short distance out on the track giving just enough time for the slicks/drag radials to hook. It's also easy to install for someone who's not as mechanically inclined.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (RyanCivic2000)

NOS or NX all the way.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:04 AM
New User

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (glowing_rotors)

nos or nx
Old 05-11-2003, 11:36 AM

I like nos because its such an easy install, easy to use. the other kit i would consider is nx.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:48 AM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (fmaxturbochic)

the NX kit is th emost complete kit on the market in my opinion. the NOS kits are always missing little brackets or screws or taps. also the NX kti comes with pro fogger solenoids which are better than the nos ones that lock open and closed.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:54 AM
New User

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nos ones that lock open and closed.</TD></TR></TABLE>aka Those damn Super powershot solenoids. Cheater noids are much better built.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (laughinxxx)

Does NX make a direct port system?

I thought NOS made pro foggers....
Old 05-11-2003, 12:22 PM

that is sweet
Old 05-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I am a bad person

the solenoids are all the same. not sure who makes them actually but i doubt holley manufactures them and would sell them to NX.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (MotorMatrix.com)

i had an NOS kit once before and i thought that was pretty good. altough i just installed a ZEX kit in one of my friend's car and i was surprised at how simple and clean it is. really nice kit
Old 05-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (QCKGSR)

am a NOS DP fan i have it for my civic
Old 05-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (DLB1994)

i had a ZEX kit for a while, loved it, no problems whatsoever.

but if I had to do it again, i would get a NX kit

mike
Old 05-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've worked with both NOS and NX, and Nitrous Express is leaps and bounds ahead of NOS with regards to quality/fit and finish details. There is no comparison...
Old 05-11-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (hpfsi)

Thanks for all the imput so far, but lets get some more!

The question still stands.....does NX make a direct port system? I am building a daily driven motor for nitrous, so a dry kit probably wont be enough power . I was just talking to someone who is about to get a 100-125 shot nozzle for his Zex system.....how safe is that on a dry kit? I thought fuel distribution became a problem after a 75 shot....
Old 05-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't seem to be a distribution problem in V8's. Those guys use a 200 shot on single foggers with fuel injected motors. Your intake manifold is designed to evenly distribute the air intake among the cylinders. Honda spent lots of time creating a well designed manifold in order to distribute air properly among cylinders. I talked on the phone with Zex and they said 100-125 shot will be fine as long as the fuel upgrades are there. Bigger injectors, fuel pump, and something to tune with such as a Hondata. A #43 ZEX nitrous jet for 100 shot and a #52 ZEX nitrous jet for 125 shot. I already have them ordered.

In fact, the Hondata created their new nitrous control with a dry kit in mind. You can tune the injector pulse to add fuel through the bigger injectors instead of raising fuel pressure. Everyone says that the wet kits give better atomization, but I would trust a real set of injectors for good atomization of fuel over some stupid NOS fogger. Everyone also says "Well what if your injectors fail?" If your injectors fail you're screwed if you have a wet kit too. You'll still lean out. Besides I would bet that the damn NOS fuel solenoid would be more likely to crap out than a good set of injectors.

By the way the NX kit is one of the most complete kits, but so is the ZEX. Mine came with every little bracket, line, and wire I needed, plus a very nice tap. Plus it is one of the cleanest, easiest to install.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:44 PM

Anyone have a rebuttle to Ryan's post?

My question regarding the Hondata tuning, obd2-1 conversion, new injectors, etc etc.. with the Zex is: why not just get a direct port system? Seems to be less margin for error, cheaper, and even BIGGER gains are possible than a 125 shot with the Zex!
The NOS direct port system comes with those Y-shaped NOSzle's that I have been reading about that evenly distribute the fuel and nitrous into the intake track, eliminating the need for big injectors. They fit right into the injector housing. Also, there is no worry about uneven distribution of nitrous in each cylinder.
Im not debunking the Zex kit at all...sounds like an efficient kit that is very easy and clean to install, but the capabilities with the NOS direct port seem to exceed the Zex. Thoughts?

Modified by Rydaddy at 3:54 PM 5/11/2003

Modified by Rydaddy at 3:56 PM 5/11/2003
Old 05-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The NOS direct port won't really be cheaper. The kit itself costs more, and you're still going to want to do the OBD2-1 conversion, and Hondata or other engine management for a big shot. The only thing you won't need are the fuel injectors and if you want to go cheap on that, a set of DSM 450cc's which is what I'm getting can be had for anywhere from $60-$100 for a set.

The Zex box itself is capable of flowing enough for a 200 shot BTW, although you would have to use NOS jettings because the ZEX ones only go up to 125 shot.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:18 PM

Check this link out....its an install of the new NOS direct port system using the NOSzles. Its on a Mustang, but the idea is the same.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/69638/ Super easy install, awesome gains (for a v8 )
Old 05-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that kit retails for $1700. Don't get me wrong is a great kit, but that's too much money for a nitrous kit. You might as well just go turbo. It defeats the purpose of nitrous, cheap horsepower. Also it said the standard jettings are 100-125 shot, which is no more than I plan to run on my ZEX kit which cost 1/4 of the price.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes NX does make a DP kit. Now as for a single fogger handling more than 100 shot on a wet system...not a good idea. Years of our own testing have found that on a wet system that its not the distribution that causes the problem, but the actually temp difference the single fogger has over the DP. There is such a time that too cool is bad...(this will take experience with different fuels) But what happens is: At the 100shot level(from our tests) the intake temp starts to drop below the point that C12 C16(used in our tests) can handle. Then the fuel turns into droplets instead of being atomized. This inturn will disrupt distribution between cylinders. Can cause a lean burn in 1 or more cylinders while the others are rich...pooof! Nitrous backfire or just leaning out very bad on one cylinder. With the dry manifold setups this is very hard to encounter, on the down side, dry manifold kits at the 100shot level are hard to control, even with the Hondata/FAST/AEM and other systems. The Dry Nitrous control these systems have should be used for spooling levels of Nitrous only like a 35 50 (75 is pushing it) There is alot more to this , and anyone looking for more info on it can call me at the shop.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A quick nitrous poll.... (AR Fab)

What is hard to control? You adjust the amount of fuel you want through the Hondata, and you adjust the amount of nitrous you want through the jettings. What's any harder about that over wet direct port? Matt (Zex Man) has been running 125 shot through his ZEX system for over a year now on top of his turbo. He will now be going to 175 shot this year is what I heard.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah that kit retails for $1700. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For the 8-cylinder kit, right? Divide that by 2 and you get the 4 cylinder price - $850.

I guess I am leaving out one of the more important aspects of power adding - fuel. Is larger than a 75 shot even safely possible on 91 octane CA pee fuel?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
I am a bad person

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rydaddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For the 8-cylinder kit, right? Divide that by 2 and you get the 4 cylinder price - $850.

I guess I am leaving out one of the more important aspects of power adding - fuel. Is larger than a 75 shot even safely possible on 91 octane CA pee fuel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont forget their retail is very high. that kit i beleive is only around 600-650.00 normally.

Quick Reply: A quick nitrous poll....