Notices

Quick custom turbo question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick custom turbo question.

Okay here's the situation..

I own a 03 RSX type S and I'm actually putting on a turbo (Unlike those who wish they could and just waste threads).

I looked at all the kits available now, and after seeing prices and hearing some bad **** about some of them I would like to go custom. This way I can have exactly what I want.

I would like about 220-250hp at the wheels, SAFELY. This will initially on stock internals. I'll build up the engine with crower rods and 9 to 1 pistons after the turbo (prob. 4-5 months afterwards) and then crank up the boost. Hopefully on the built motor I'll see at least 300hp at the wheels.

The Plan:
HKS turbo manifold
Garrett t3/t4 turbo
Greddy cast iron downpipe (not completely sure yet)
Tial 38mm .5 bar wastegate
HKS ssqv BOV
Spearco intercooler
Custom piping + oil feed + oil return lines
RC 550cc injectors + clips

This set will allow me to run 7lbs. boost easily and pretty safely.

I know what the setup will look like exactly and how to run the charge pipes. I also know where to get tap for the oil feed line and where to put the oil return line. Heres my question: I'm going to get the Hondata K-pro. With the K-pro I won't need a FMU (like Greedy E-Man) right? If I still need the FMU I'll just spend the extra and get a std. Greedy kit and make a custom intercooler.

NOTE: I will not be doing any of the tuning, I'll leave that to pros.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k-pro should be all you need.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (O3DigitalBath)

Yeah I hope so.

K-pro is $995 + however many dyno pulls it takes to tune it.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Re: (S-fiend)

No need for an FMU. Just make sure you find a competent tuner, the type-s has pretty high compression.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Re: (maxspeedhonda)

Thanks. Until I get the crower rods and 9 to 1 pistons I'm sticking to about 6-7lbs. boost. After that I'll crank it up to make some real hp numbers.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 AM

Sounds like a plan, keep us updated with some pics/numbers.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 AM

Yeah I'm planning on documenting the whole installation with pics.

I'll post them for you guys. I live in NY and its getting ******* cold out. It's going to be fun piecing together this turbo with a foot of snow on the ground.

However I might be running w/o an intercooler at first (really doesn't matter in the winter). Need to keep a low budget. But don't worry eventually it'll all come together.

Anyone know of a good downpipe, I'll prob. just end up making one.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:54 AM

Just buy the flange and some 3 in mandrel bends. If you can't weld, them bring them to a exhaust shop and they should be able to hook you up.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:58 AM

Luckly I can weld but I only hace a MIG available. But that'll work out fine with this application.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eh i'd go with an intercooler just to be safe. Why risk it when a decent one can be had for ~250? If you're keeping a low budget, why are you going with all the top brands... spearco, tial, etc.?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blackcivic44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh i'd go with an intercooler just to be safe. Why risk it when a decent one can be had for ~250? If you're keeping a low budget, why are you going with all the top brands... spearco, tial, etc.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said spearco IC
Old 10-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kabaroo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S-fiend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

However I might be running w/o an intercooler at first (really doesn't matter in the winter). Need to keep a low budget. But don't worry eventually it'll all come together.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I saw that too, thats why i listed spearco in the list of top brands... but he said this. Which doesn't make much sense, you'd have to re-do the piping which would be annoying
Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blackcivic44)

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Guardian for the k-series motors.

Khoi
Old 10-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sohc Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am surprised nobody here has mentioned Guardian for the k-series motors.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guardian is what?
Old 10-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guardian is what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Standalone specifically for the k-series. It is actually a great standalone fuel managment. You literally plug and play and let it do all of the work. There is no tuning involved, due to the fact that it reads and tunes off of the wideband sensor that comes stock from the factory for the k-series motors.

Khoi
Old 10-22-2004, 05:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Standalone specifically for the k-series. It is actually a great standalone fuel managment. You literally plug and play and let it do all of the work. There is no tuning involved, due to the fact that it reads and tunes off of the wideband sensor that comes stock from the factory for the k-series motors.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Next thing you will be telling me is AFR is the only thing important in tuning and you shouldnt touch the ignition timing. Especially with the highly advanced K-series **** that needs adjustment in the cam angles and all sorts of crap.

Autotune crap is just that, crap. Thumb down to this system based on your description
Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tubegown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Next thing you will be telling me is AFR is the only thing important in tuning and you shouldnt touch the ignition timing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright shut the **** up noob...Guardian was only a suggestion for the k-series owners. You speculated a little too much *******. Why in the world would I consider timing unimportant? Incase you haven't noticed my sig, I am informed and tuned with hondata. So go **** yourself, I was only giving suggestions. BTW...people have made great numbers with guardian, and have also been running reliable since. Go check out http://www.cybernation.com or clubrsx for more details before you speculate any further on me or Guardian.

Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 10:18 AM 10/23/2004
Old 10-22-2004, 09:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Alright shut the **** up noob...Guardian was only a suggestion for the k-series owners. You speculated a little too much *******. Why in the world would I consider timing unimportant? Incase you haven't noticed my sig, I am informed and tuned with hondata. So go **** yourself, I was only giving suggestions. BTW...people have made great numbers with guardian, and have also been running reliable since. Go check out http://www.cybernation.com or clubrsx for more details before you speculate any further on me or Guardian.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude why dont you shut the **** up....if you were such a experienced member you would of learned already on how to control your emotions about such a opinonated topic...later fool
Old 10-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brutus Beefcake)

whatever..I am tired of uninformed idiots trying to flex what little knowledge they know...Rather than researching a little more, or looking more into what I said in my previous post, he decided to bash my intellect by speculating.

So no..you go **** yourself,
Khoi
Old 10-23-2004, 06:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whatever..I am tired of uninformed idiots trying to flex what little knowledge they know...Rather than researching a little more, or looking more into what I said in my previous post, he decided to bash my intellect by speculating.

So no..you go **** yourself,
Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

HA!!!!!!! I laugh in your face. You are informed because you've purchased every suggested Honda-tech part and thrown them together? Big ******* deal. I made the power you put down on my stock b18b1 for half the cost(yes, ive seen your thread where you spewed out the numbers you spent). But you use hondata, so you must be informed.

I suggest you talk to some people and find out what cybernation is actually about. They are hacks. Not only that but they rip people off constantly. I know someone first hand that got ripped off. They took about 3 months to build a RSX and turbo setup and somehow blew up a tranny while the car was on lifts??? Please remove your head from your *** and stop referencing post counts.

By the way, i did a few searches I couldnt find any valid information on this product and its features. No website. Nothing especially so again by your description allowing my ECU to do all the work and not being able to double check it....hmmm sounds like an awful idea as i stated before. I dont need bells and whistles but i do want to be able to do a google search on "Guardian RSX" and pull up some sort of official site esque thing so i can read a bit about the product.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tubegown)

search harder....my friend will soon be running guardian EI on his RSX Type S, when they release it to the general public in a month or two..so we'll see then.

BTW...what does making the same amount of hp at half the cost have to do with being more or less informed?

Try this link http://www.cybernationmotorspo...m=176

And one other thing, I had and still have no objections to your opinions on Guardian EI or cybernation. The only objection I have was when you preceded to speculate on my behalf.

Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 10:26 AM 10/23/2004
Old 10-23-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Trial users STFU!!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:59 AM
hicktoil

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search harder....my friend will soon be running guardian EI on his RSX Type S, when they release it to the general public in a month or two..so we'll see then.

BTW...what does making the same amount of hp at half the cost have to do with being more or less informed?

Try this link http://www.cybernationmotorspo...m=176

And one other thing, I had and still have no objections to your opinions on Guardian EI or cybernation. The only objection I have was when you preceded to speculate on my behalf.

Khoi

Modified by Sohc Driver at 10:26 AM 10/23/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw that link, it was on a cybernation site. Cybernation IMO=crap. Now i read through it and read its function. It controls an FMU electronically. Great system....I love pushing injectors to the brink. Very logical. Again, you may need to read up on what you suggest.

Direct Quote: "the plan is to have Guardian electronically control the FMU activating it only when needed. This will allow the current Guardian to immediately be compatible with all Stage II & III. Development on the larger injector setup will continue for stage II & III and made available later. "

So again, i refer you to my question about controlling ignition timing which evidently is ignored in this system, thus making this system basically worthless. Please come back with some sort of arguement other than questionging my post count.

Read here: http://www.cybernationmotorspo...m=334

They say nothing about how they will control any of these things. Its a hack method from what i can see from a hack company. Any other company would be willing to at least begin to explain what this device is supposed to do. They do not.

So are you really that informed when you suggest a system that obviously has numberous flaws and little to no information about how it works? The discription makes mention to fueling but nothing about ignition timing. Again, a hack method. Please open your eyes before you open your mouth. I dont like hondata, but K-pro is def. the way to go when you are talking about a 20k RSX. Great system for a "moderate" price.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hicktoil)

Just because I suggested the Guardian EI, does not mean that I am neglecting igntion timing..once again you are assuming that I don't consider timing a big deal! I just don't get you guys. I only suggested Guardian because it was another alternative out there besides the K-pro. Get a grip guys and stop looking too deep into my post. It was only a suggestion, I was not in any way trying to push their cot damn product!! The only reason I was heated in the first place was because of you guys making "idiotic" assumptions about what I thought about engine management.

You want examples?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tubegown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. Next thing you will be telling me is AFR is the only thing important in tuning and you shouldnt touch the ignition timing. Especially with the highly advanced K-series **** that needs adjustment in the cam angles and all sorts of crap.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok...As if I don't know this??!!

HA!!!!!!! I laugh in your face. You are informed because you've purchased every suggested Honda-tech part and thrown them together? Big ******* deal. I made the power you put down on my stock b18b1 for half the cost(yes, ive seen your thread where you spewed out the numbers you spent). But you use hondata, so you must be informed.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the **** does this have to do with anything???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hicktoil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So are you really that informed when you suggest a system that obviously has numberous flaws and little to no information about how it works? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was an alternative and only an alternative to the k-pro that I suggested. I am an avid hondata supporter, along with AEM EMS, or whatever EMS that is out there. Hondata is not the only way to go on this earth. I want to reiterate, that I was only providing an alternative, and wanted to see what people thought of Guardian EI. I didn't get upset until the speculation that started.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hicktoil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So again, i refer you to my question about controlling ignition timing which evidently is ignored in this system, thus making this system basically worthless. Please come back with some sort of arguement other than questionging my post count.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know its something else that you would have to buy, but investing in a J&S safeguard or Apex'i ITC would be a good solution to this problem. I just really like the easy and simple idea of autotune. If the b-series was blessed with a wideband from the factory and something similar to Guardian EI was available. I would definitely give a try.

Khoi
Old 10-23-2004, 09:59 AM

So this thing tunes itself... I'm sure based on an o2 sensor (let's all hope it's a true wideband)....

So what happens when your o2 sensor messes up? Or gets fouled out for whatever reason?

BOOM!

Edit.... I just read that it uses the stock o2 sensor. Good god.... That's a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Quick custom turbo question.