Notices

Quick BOV question...??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick BOV question...??

I guess it's good to let a trusted friend drive your car once in a blue moon. Me and my friend were heading out to the local hangout in Miami but we had to make a stop before we got there, so we switched cars (I drove his 99 DX, he drove my 98 EX) for the quick trip to a gas station, in doing so though I noticed something I never noticed before, under acceleration I could head my BOV screaming!? Hmmm, obviously I'm guessing it's too soft, but I looked the the setting and i've got it set pretty hard, not all the way but I only have about an inch or so of the adjustment rod left. It's a GReddy Type S BOV btw and I'm at .45bar. Anyways, is it normal to be running a BOV at a rather hard setting like I'm going to have to do? Could the spring be going soft on me? And of so, where can I find a replacement? Thanks..
Old 10-12-2001, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick BOV question...?? (VTC_CiViC)

Oh I know somebody must have an idea!
Old 10-12-2001, 10:18 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave all I can say is best thing to do for starters is closing it all the way and driving by it's side to still hear that screaming and work your way up from there dude.good luck

Nick
Old 10-12-2001, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick BOV question...?? (rawdigga)

Yea I'm gonna give it a shot Nick. I noticed last night when leaving the hangout that my boost started spooling up rather slow, seemingly out of nowhere, so I think my BOV may be getting softer from being open constantly.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went ahead and tighted my BOV almost all the way, and it still blows off very easy. At first it used to flutter when I had just tightend, but for whatever reason it now sounds just like it did before I tightend it. I haven't had a chance to drive next to it to hear if the BOV is going off while driving yet, but I have a feeling something is fishy with this BOV. Do the springs go bad? If so where I can pick up replacment springs? Anybody!?
Old 10-15-2001, 06:16 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ack....you DONT want TypeS BOVs too tight...that fluttering tends to be bad if its loud....thats usually compressor surge as the BOV recloses before all the boost has escaped....be careful...
Old 10-15-2001, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick BOV question...?? (Dravis)

I see, but like I said, it doesn't flutter anymore and I haven't had a chance to have somebody drive it next to me so I could hear if the BOV is still screaming away. I relocated the vaccum line going to the BOV over the weekend. I now have it tapped into the same source as my Autometer boost gauge (I used the cruise control line right off the backside of the intake mani), I think this may have something to do with it's performance before (I won't say where I had it running too before, suffice to say it was a real bone head overlook on my part) but i'm not 100% sure. Along the same lines, what's the 2nd little vaccum nozzle on the GReddy BOV for? On mine it's just open, I only have the uppermost nozzle attached to a vaccum source and I was told the 2nd one had something to do with high boost but it wasn't explained clearly.. anybody?