Notices

questions about turbo's.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about turbo's.

ok here is what im getting. next week already bought just waiting on ship.

TURBO WITH MANIFOLD--garrett t3 and hf mani.

2.) BRADED OIL FEED AND RETURN LINES

3.) VACUME LINES AND T'S
4.) TAPPED OIL PAN
5.) BOOST GAGUE AND GAGUE POD
6.) ALL RUBBER GROMMITS
7.) CLAMPS AND OTHER HARDWARE
8.) FIRST GEN CRUSHED MITSUBISHI BLOW OFF VALVE
9.) BOOST CONTROLER- obx brand new n box
P28 FULLY PROGRAMABLE CHIPPED ECU
450 cc INJECTORS
ALUMINUM OIL RETURN LINE
and intercooler with all piping.

im paying 1grand for it all. questions

*what will the ECU chip do? and is this a good deal for it? its 2 months old with 1500 miles on the turbo. was in a 94 delsol sohc . i have a 95 civic ex
o ya and will i need to get pistons,cam gears, and cam shafts or can i run it 8lbs without that stuff?
ty

Old 12-13-2006, 09:01 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: questions about turbo's. (chadalac1712)

Its "programmable/chipped out" so a TUNER can tune the car/setup. Hopefully it was tuned already and the map on that ECU is meant for that exact setup. I'd still suggest getting it tuned though
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o yes im deff gonna get it tuned at the honda dealer.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't really need pistons, cam gears, cam shafts etc. if you're only looking to push ~8psi. The stock honda map sensor will read boost up to ~10.5, and you should be okay on stock internals. I'm sure some people will recommend the TT rods (remember, rods seem to be the weakest link for our turbo d's) and some pistons so you always have room to grow down the road should you want more boost, and also for piece of mind.

Don't forget that you'll also be needing colder spark plugs, call up NGK, they'll help you find the plugs you need.

The ECU chip will need to be tuned for the setup on your car. It may have been tuned for the seller's car, but remember each setup is unique on each car. I would recommend staying out of boost (good luck!) until you can get your car tuned just to be on the safe side.

happy boosting

EDIT: tuning at the honda dealer? i don't think so. check the forced induction thread for a tuner listing to find a more "reputable" tuner for your car!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should be shiped to my house after christmas but im waiting till summer so i can have bout 2 grand . tunning is 150/hour and ill go ahead and get the pistons and stuff. in school and work. wont have time to put in or get it tuned
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your honda dealer has the equiptment to tune an ECU? Thats unusual. The Honda dealership in my area refuses to look at a stock motor that has been swapped into a car, nevermind tuning an ECU. You better make sure they tune ECUs, and that they know what they are doing.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (roadracer321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadracer321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your honda dealer has the equiptment to tune an ECU? Thats unusual. The Honda dealership in my area refuses to look at a stock motor that has been swapped into a car, nevermind tuning an ECU. You better make sure they tune ECUs, and that they know what they are doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. I don't think they're gonna tune it.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, the dealerships dont normally tune ecu's. nor would they have the equipment to do so.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions about turbo's. (confucioussae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't really need pistons, cam gears, cam shafts etc. if you're only looking to push under 11 psi

check the forced induction thread for a tuner listing to find a more "reputable" tuner for your car! </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (chadalac1712)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o yes im deff gonna get it tuned at the honda dealer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl..

Think that's the only place that WON'T tune it .

Aight, here's the deal, it's all in the tune. On a good tune you can easily run 8lbs of boost without going with any aftermarket block internals. The chipped P28 ECU is how you tune the car. Tuners usually charge 150/hour. That's all the stuff you need (at least I'm pretty sure). Pretty damn nice deal if you got all that for 1000, I've seen less, but I've seen people pick **** up for a lot more too.

So after you install everything, it needs to get to a dyno tune ASAP. If it doesn't, there a high chance of throwing a rod. Now you can lower the boost via the boost controller as low as possible and don't bring it above 3k RPM's while you're driving it untuned and the engine should be fine.

Bring it to a dyno tuner, he'll tune it so it's all safe from throwin rods. Then you can run ur 8lbs, probably put you around 160-180 whp. Then you can wind that son of a bitch out.

Tune is key though if you try winding it out and beating on it without a tune you're gonna send a piston right through the block.

Here's a list of tuners in your area:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1347699

Refrain from driving the car as much as possible once you have the turbo installed. It's not really good to drive a forced induction setup on an untuned ECU. It'll run too lean.

Expect 1 - 3 hours to tune.

EDIT:
You can use your stock injectors, or bigger ones, doesn't matter for how much whp you're putting down. I'm sure you're probably wondering right now - so I'll answer: "Yeah, tuning is pretty ******* expensive - but it's necessary." Tuner by my house does 150hr and 100/hr each hour after that, but most just do 150/hr. He also only has a single dyno though (not a dual wheel) so he can't dyno tune AWD, only RWD or FWD. Not sure if that plays into it though.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow ty man. ty for it all lol. so once its in dont push and boost pretty much turn it off? how many miles can i drive it? ty! the closest 1 to me is 45min doing about 60mph
Old 12-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow ty man. ty for it all lol. so once its in dont push and boost pretty much turn it off? how many miles can i drive it? ty!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not really a static number, like if you drive above 100 miles you will throw a rod. Nothing like that.

Just try to drive it as EASY as possible, light on the pedal, and LOW RPM. Save the highway games and burnouts for after the tune. So just install it when you know you can take it over to a dyno-tuning shop right after.

Don't install it on a Sunday where you need to go to work Monday for a tuning shop that's only open on Saturdays. Get what I mean?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes ty. what your saying is dont drive like a bitch and show off till after the tune then you can drive like a bitch lol.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

syndacate. a rice burner. isnt that a civic that has a fart pipe shitty body kit and is stock engine? thats what ive heard. and if your civic has 600whp.. just laugh in his face.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes ty. what your saying is dont drive like a bitch and show off till after the tune then you can drive like a bitch lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what I'm saying.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate. a rice burner. isnt that a civic that has a fart pipe shitty body kit and is stock engine? thats what ive heard. and if your civic has 600whp.. just laugh in his face.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well some people assume a rice burner to be a lot of things. So I was just wondering what happens when somebody puts a crappy body kit, a big 15" double stack spoiler, but is pushing a B20-T-VTEC pushing out 600whp. Can you honestly look at the person after he's completely smoked everything you have and say "******* RICER!"
Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol true. only saying ******* RICER b/c you just got your *** kick. mines going to be a sleeper. stock outside nice motor, catback but with no muffler
Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol true. only saying ******* RICER b/c you just got your *** kick. mines going to be a sleeper. stock outside nice motor, catback but with no muffler</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hard to make a boosted sleeper due to the big *** FMIC hanging outta the front .
Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hard to make a boosted sleeper due to the big *** FMIC hanging outta the front .</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh ORLY???

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1468237
Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are the TT rods mentioned a few post above
Old 12-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TiTanium?.....
Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92jdmcivicvx)

tuner toys rods
Old 12-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok the t3 had alot of slack and didnt want to rebuild. so i shipped back and hes giving me his t25. just as good? i heard it has a faster spool and can hold higher boost. true?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im paying 1grand for it all. questions

*what will the ECU chip do? and is this a good deal for it? its 2 months old with 1500 miles on the turbo. was in a 94 delsol sohc . i have a 95 civic ex
o ya and will i need to get pistons,cam gears, and cam shafts or can i run it 8lbs without that stuff?
ty </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your asking this NOW you never should have gotten it in the first place.
Keep in mind you will also need a downpipe and probably an exhaust. An adapter flange for the manifold to bolt the turbo to. And a highflow cat. Dont be a jerkoff and not run one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o yes im deff gonna get it tuned at the honda dealer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats funny right there.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes im already getting an exhaust.....what im getting for christmas. apex-i. and ty for telling me ill need a downpipe.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chadalac1712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes im already getting an exhaust.....what im getting for christmas. apex-i. and ty for telling me ill need a downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not really trying to be mean, theres just alot of thought that needs to go into this before you start buying everything.

Quick Reply: questions about turbo's.