Notices

Questions about the downpipe before I install.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 06:17 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the downpipe before I install.....

I have a few questions about the downpipe before I start installing this coming weekend. Any info would be appreciated.....I have a 1997 GS-R, I have two O2 sensors. I have the drag kit and there is a bung for the first O2 sensor on the downpipe.

I want to know if I get a test pipe made, should I get a bung put onto the test pipe for the second O2 sensor? What I DONT want is the CEL to come on. So, if I had the second O2 sensor connected to the test pipe, will i get the CEL? Would it just be better to wrap it up in foil and tie it up? I would rather have it plugged into the test pipe, but I just want to make sure I don't get the CEL.

Also, for those of you that took your downpipe to your local muffler shops, was your experience pleasant? I mean, will they make you a test pipe, considering it is illegal for street use?

I need to take my downpipe to a local muffler shop to get a flex and flange welded on and a test pipe made. Let me know, I just need to know all this before I do the install. I'm gonna go ask around tomorrow. But I wanted to know what you guys did....thanks
Old 10-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the downpipe before I install..... (integra7)

Wrap it in foil, if it is in the exhaust stream w/ no cat you will get a CEL.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:58 PM
New User

Default Re: Questions about the downpipe before I install..... (dustin)

Wrap it in foil, if it is in the exhaust stream w/ no cat you will get a CEL.
Yup...we were having a discussion about this a couple days ago. This seems to be the solution for getting rid of the CEL light.

It will probably be difficult for you to find a shop that is willing to weld a test pipe in for you. I got lucky and found a cool Russian guy at some little shop to make one for me, he didn't give a ****...Just call around first to save you the trouble of driving all over town to find someone who can do this for you.
Or do what dustin did and just use flex pipe to seal the joint between the DP and exhaust.

So, in answer to your question, no - do not get a bung welded in for the 2nd o2 sensor. I did unknowingly, and now I'm regretting it because I can't find the proper sized bolt to plug the bung back up. Now I need to get it welded shut.