Notices

Question about ebay turbo kit..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ebay turbo kit..

I had a boosted b16 Ek hatch that was stolen a few years ago. I replace that car with a b18c1 Ek hatch, but I've had the bug and am looking to get back into the world of boost. My question is this... I have been looking at buying one of these basic kits, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
drive the car like that and replace bits and pieces as they need to be upgraded or just out of necessity. Does anyone know anyone who has purchased or if you currently use a kit like this? And..if I were to install this on my car, what items would you suggest replacing and in what order? This is for a daily driver b18c1 Ek hatch, so I am only looking to run about 6-8 psi max.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about ebay turbo kit..

I wouldn’t do it,
If all you want to do is put a turbo on it why not just piece together you own kit? Because lets be honest if you buy that kit or build your own kit in the end either way is going to cost you over the $695 dollars the eBay one cost.

Anyway if you do get it, just keep that in mind, Also there are no shortcuts on tuning so plan for that even with the eBay kit.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Absolutely.. I suppose I could also just keep my eyes out for a good deal on a decent used kit and go from there, because it sounds like at least with the ebay kit, the only things that are going to be half way decent in the end is the cast manifold, fittings and intercooler pipping. So if I am going to be replacing the turbo and intercooler anyways, I may just try and find a better deal to begin with.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I've seen, Ebay turbos are hit or miss. I have a friend with a GSR turbo running an Ebay t3t4 50 trim for a few years now. Made 300whp on 9 psi and is still going on strong. But he's just using the turbo though... Everything else on his car is legit.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don’t have to go with a used set to be honest

You can buy stuff on ebay just get “good” stuff off ebay. Buy a set of intercooler pipes and cut it to fit you setup that is the best way to go. You can set it up anyway you want if you just cut it yourself. Buy a decent intercooler, an oil filter adapter you can probably pick up all the feed lines and return at local auto parts. Get a BOV (Greedy/ TurboXS don’t cost much). Your biggest decision will be what turbo you want to use. You can save some money and get a rebuilt OEM turbo but try to stay away from the generic chinachargers or buy a name brand aftermarket turbo. Get a manifold to fit your build/goals and Tune it and you can have a fun DD, as long as you keep the boost/gains down you shouldn’t break anything.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will be honest here. i purchase a ebay kit and when i started building my motor. i found out that all that pos doesnt really work right. i end up throwing almost every parts away and having to put together a whole new kit that was with brand parts that work. i am not bashing that some of the parts dont work. but when i used they didnt work. only thing left of the ebay kit that i am still using is the emusa 38mm wastegate and the ebay boost controller. but those two things are going to come off this weekend to because they seem to run fine and then all the sudden spike boost on the street.