Notices

Question about additional vents on valvecover

Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about additional vents on valvecover

I´m in the progress of putting 2 additional vents to my valve cover. I want to weld 2 6AN fittings to it and I was wondering why so many guys put them on the front (exhause side) of the valve cover. There was a thread somwhere where a guy said that the they are not baffled when putting them at the intake side. But when you look at the backside of the valve cover it is more baffled on the intake side than on the exhaust side or am I wrong? My problem is that I´ve got a ramhorn manifold and I thing its better to put those vents to the intake side. ( looks better imo )

Here´s where I want to weld them to:

Is that possible too?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (hovic)

gotta do this too, good question..
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe more people put them in front because on hard accelarations the oil in the head will be forced back and will be more likely to get into the lines
Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (Redwidow)

If you are going to use the intake side it would have to be at the top to utilize the baffle in that valve cover. If its just a vent it does not need to be baffled.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (bottlefedintegra)

but the stock vent is also at the intake side not on the top. So if I´ll put those vents to the same high as the stock vent everything should be fine correct? The fitting has to be under the bracket which is in the valve cover correct?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (hovic)

everyone is putting them on the exhaust side, because of the baffling that's available. If you look in your pic, you can see where the baffle come almost to the bottom of the valve cover. That's where everyone's putting the addition fittings, because they are shielded from the slinging oil.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (Chris22215)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris22215 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyone is putting them on the exhaust side, because of the baffling that's available. If you look in your pic, you can see where the baffle come almost to the bottom of the valve cover. That's where everyone's putting the addition fittings, because they are shielded from the slinging oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
BCICAN

Wouldn't that shield also basically block/reduce air flow to the fittings?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't that shield also basically block/reduce air flow to the fittings?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no, the pressure/air is going to find the easiest way out. With the baffle right there, it'll keep the oil from coming out with it.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got a carbon Valve cover and was thinking about doing the same thing.. But I can't remember if there was a baffle in it or not.. If there isn't, will that matter?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I've quit using this account

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (RICE POLICE SIP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RICE POLICE SIP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've got a carbon Valve cover and was thinking about doing the same thing.. But I can't remember if there was a baffle in it or not.. If there isn't, will that matter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

without a baffle you will be losing alot of oil out of the valve cover vents.

especailly on a car running high boost, i have seen the catch can need to be emptied after each pass.

keep the vents behind the baffle and you will be expel the pressure and keep the oil in the motor
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (Kelly.)

That's kind of what I was thinking... I might just take it out of the 2 plugs on the back of the block instead... Plus I won't have to drill into my blingin' carbon VC...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about additional vents on valvecover (RICE POLICE SIP)

thanx for the infos

What size of hoses do you recommend? I want to go with the endyn breather kit. It comes with 6AN hoses correct?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wht not just make the OEM valve cover vent a much bigger diameter, that way you can skip adding additional vents all together?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

mh good point

I believe there´s not enough material to put a bigger vent/fitting to the stock location?!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another thing you could do it make the vent openings straight on top of the valve cover.

I know for d series, the vc doesn't have a larger baffle that goes down the side like in a b series, so i could possibly drill and mount from the top.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

is there space for that with the hood so close?i have heard just with swap the valvecover hitting the hood skeleton so i think it would be hard to have fittings sticking out of it also...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there space for that with the hood so close?i have heard just with swap the valvecover hitting the hood skeleton so i think it would be hard to have fittings sticking out of it also...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess it was a thought for my d series only
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hovic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the infos

What size of hoses do you recommend? I want to go with the endyn breather kit. It comes with 6AN hoses correct? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the bigger the better, yes a 6an line will vent it enough but the velocity of the air going threw it will be fast therefore taking oil with it. the bigger the line the slower the air travels (velocity) and less likely taking oil with it. people use the exhaust side because of the baffle. if you put the vents on the intake it should be baffled. The higher the boost the more inportant and the bigger the lines.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18ccivics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bigger the better, yes a 6an line will vent it enough but the velocity of the air going threw it will be fast therefore taking oil with it. the bigger the line the slower the air travels (velocity) and less likely taking oil with it. people use the exhaust side because of the baffle. if you put the vents on the intake it should be baffled. The higher the boost the more inportant and the bigger the lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

great info

do you know what size of fittings/hoses come with the endy breather kit?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hovic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hovic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

great info

do you know what size of fittings/hoses come with the endy breather kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

heres mine and i never had oiling problems, but then again i mde my own baffle for the fittings. it really doesnt take that much time and it works really well