Notices

Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....?

hey guys

just wondering if any other users notice a clicking/popping noise after the LSD has been installed on sharp low speed turns?

is this a normal characteristic of a helical type LSD?

Old 03-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....? (non-VTEC)

its normal
Old 03-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its normal</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much popping/clicking noise is normal? should you feel it in the steering wheel when its happening?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how much popping/clicking noise is normal? should you feel it in the steering wheel when its happening?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-12-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't notice any noises with my Quaife, although I do have damn near solid motor mounts, so my car rattles pretty good.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sure its not your axles that are clickin
Old 03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....? (boostfeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostfeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure its not your axles that are clickin</TD></TR></TABLE>

they never did before.......but i will double check everything.....
Old 03-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

non-VTEC

it is the lsd, it is normal if it is BRAND NEW. This is breakin noise. I got the noise too right after i got the LSD in. Wasted boku bux replacing both axles, still had the noise.

Noise should go away after 500mi of so of driving on the lsd. You should notice it slowly become quieter/less frequent then it will vanish altogether.

Least thats what happened with mine, installed brand new out of box [obx].
Old 03-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

thanks for the info guys.........i think i will put some miles on it and then dump the oil and give it some fresh Honda MTF (currently running regular 10W30).

yes the LSD is new so i would suspect it does require some kind of break-in (i hope) and i did disassemble the LSD when it was new just to be safe i re-assembled it and torqued everything to spec like many users have done.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your good, trust me man, i was flipping out too when i got in my freshly rebuilt car and took a turn a 90 degree turn at 5pmh just to hear a CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK.

itll fade away if it continues past 500miles i would start to worry but you should see it sloly diminish
Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your good, trust me man, i was flipping out too when i got in my freshly rebuilt car and took a turn a 90 degree turn at 5pmh just to hear a CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK.

itll fade away if it continues past 500miles i would start to worry but you should see it sloly diminish</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks.....that takes some worry off my shoulders.....i just finished spending another fortune on the engine/tranny so i dont want anymore trouble.....
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (non-VTEC)

I rode in my buddies STI and experienced the same noises while turning at low speeds. He thought something was wrong with it and took it to the dealership. They pointed out to him in a service manual that the noise was normal.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people have in the past done alot of figure 8's with their car to break in the lsd...
maybe you should trythat
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">people have in the past done alot of figure 8's with their car to break in the lsd...
maybe you should trythat</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe that is for clutch style LSDs...

I could be wrong..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SYD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SYD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe that is for clutch style LSDs...

I could be wrong..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i believe merauder did it and he has a kaaz...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

woah someone bumped up this old post for me.

i guess i can give you guys the final word.......the OBX LSD failed/broke.....its a POS and im now running a quaife and never looking back.....i guess i should stop being cheap and buy good parts to begin with.

all other OBX LSD users good luck and i hope it works out good for you.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just filled out the warrenty card for my Quaife. No more peg leggin it woohoo
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
The Boot

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">woah someone bumped up this old post for me.

i guess i can give you guys the final word.......the OBX LSD failed/broke.....its a POS and im now running a quaife and never looking back.....i guess i should stop being cheap and buy good parts to begin with.

all other OBX LSD users good luck and i hope it works out good for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ouch man...gice us some details.

it just kept making noise and you decided to drop the tranny and take a look?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Smokinsax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smokinsax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ouch man...gice us some details.

it just kept making noise and you decided to drop the tranny and take a look?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya it kept making noise even after about 500miles.....i changed the fluid in the tranny 3 times and all 3 times my spoon magnetic drain plug was covered in metal chunks and crap so i decided instead of waiting for that POS of a LSD to ruin a perfectly good GSR tranny i'll pull it out.

i'll try to get pictures of the OBX turd soon and i'll post them up....i highly doubt OBX would give me a warranty replacement one so i took it apart.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ixislikixi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixislikixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it was probably installed wrong. i know 3 people using the OBX making over 500 whp daily driven/track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 OBX units out of 10000 that are good... the rest of 9997 units are probaby still sitting in inventories

Seems like non-VTEC wasn't too lucky enough to land on a good OBX unit...hahaha

These things are always a hit or miss, but IMO, more miss than anything.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i been running mine 3kmiles still runs great and im using it in the new build.. that sucks yours failed/broke... got any pics of whats left?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ixislikixi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ixislikixi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it was probably installed wrong. i know 3 people using the OBX making over 500 whp daily driven/track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please tell me how you can install a LSD wrong.....they only fit in one way and the unit was noisey right from the get go.......

trust me it was not installed "wrong" and just because you know 3 people who are running it doesnt mean its a good unit to begin with. search around and you will find im not the only one having trouble with it.

i will get pics up this weekend maybe
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 AM

Some people say the OBX LSDs work well if you take them apart from the beginning (before install) and retorque everything and tighten all the loose bolts. I've never personally run one, but I don't plan on it. I'm going to get a Quaife and not mess with trying to skimp out on a part that could potentially cause more problems.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please tell me how you can install a LSD wrong.....they only fit in one way and the unit was noisey right from the get go.......

trust me it was not installed "wrong" and just because you know 3 people who are running it doesnt mean its a good unit to begin with. search around and you will find im not the only one having trouble with it.

i will get pics up this weekend maybe</TD></TR></TABLE>

incorrectly shimming it = installed wrong, also not tightening casing bolts = installed wrong.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:41 AM
JAY

non-VTEC-

I highly recommend Redline MTF. I always ran OE stuff but the redline is just amazing.

Quick Reply: Quaife/OBX LSD users.....quick question....?