Notices

Q's on J&S Safeguard.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's on J&S Safeguard.

For those who have it, how does the sensor(s) mount to the engine and where? Also, I'm under the impression that there is one knock sensor that is used with the kit. I'm almost sure that the Safeguard boasts the ability to retard the timing in the individual cylinder that is experiencing detonation. With only one knock sensor how does it do that?

For those who own one: How has your experience been with it?

I have heard people say that it is fickle and that it can be too sensitive. I have always wondered how you can establish a baseline for detonation with the unit. How do you get to the point that you have it sensitive enough that it detects detonation at the smallest amount but not so sensitive that "other" engine noises will set it off??? (as I have heard many people claim).

[Modified by ck279, 6:17 AM 5/23/2002]
Old 05-22-2002, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Q's on J&S Safeguard. (ck279)

For those who have it, how does the sensor(s) mount to the engine and where? Also, I'm under the impression that there is one knock sensor that is used with the kit. I'm almost sure that the Safeguard boasts the ability to retard the timing in the individual cylinder that is experiencing detonation. With only one knock sensor how does it do that?

For those who own one: How has your experience been with it?

I have heard people say that it is fickle and that it can be too sensitive. I have always wondered how you can establish a baseline for detonation with the unit. How do you get to the point that you have it sensitive enough that it detects detonation at the smallest amount but not so sensitive that "other" engine noises will set it off??? (as I have heard many people claim).

[Modified by ck279, 6:17 AM 5/23/2002]
The J&S Safeguard/Ultra Safeguard has been one of the best tools for tuning for me.

Before I had a Hondata, I had the Ultra Safeguard v.2 with my JRSC setup. It allowed me to run stock ignition timing and the MAP Limiter circuit in it allowed me to virtually eliminate tip-in detonation associated with the JRSC. Whenever I got too aggressive with the ignition timing, the J&S would let me know. It's a wonderful safety net and the piece of mind that it offers is priceless when you've got the hammer down.

After I switched to Hondata, I no longer needed the BTM, mid-range retard, and MAP Limiter functions of the J&S Ultra v.2. So, I sold my v.2 Ultra Safeguard and got one of the old style "Classic" Safeguards that does only knock detection/retard. It was a priceless tool for tuning with the Hondata. I'd play with the timing, drive it around, and watch for detonation. If I got some, I'd roll the timing back and/or add more fuel, etc.

All B Series VTEC engines come with a factory knock sensor that is located on the top of the block between cylinders 2 and 3. You can (and most people do) use the factory knock sensor with the J&S. It's not too hard to set the sensitivity right to eliminate false positives and still pick up detonation when it is occurring. It is possible to use only one knock sensor and do individual retard on a per cylinder basis because each cylinder resonates at a different frequency.

If your engine does not come eqipped with a knock sensor, J&S can supply you with one that you can screw into the block.

Overall, an excellent product IMO and one that will be in every performance car that I own.

Sonny

[Modified by Sonny, 11:06 PM 5/22/2002]
Old 05-23-2002, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Q's on J&S Safeguard. (ck279)

Actually, only one cylinder is knocking at a time. The unit knows that the cylinder that is knocking is the one that just fired, and that it won't fire again for two more revolutions. Software keeps track as each cylinder goes by.