Notices

Purpose of a Turbo Blanket???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purpose of a Turbo Blanket???

I was just wondering what was the purpose of a turbo blanket. I know that it keeps underhood temps way down but is there any increase in perfomance with the addition of this...i remember someone telling me it helps spool the turbo faster but i dont see how it would do this???
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (HondaH22a#1)

keeping under the hood temps down is all around a good practice. allows the intake charge to stay cooler.. radiator works more efficiently and so forth.

I don't see why anyone would say a turbine housing blanket would help with spool time. sounds like bullshit to me.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keeping the turbo center section hot would help the exhaust gases flow faster is why I believe it may help with spool times. Same idea with a ceramic coated manifold and exhaust system.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (SLowCrx)

Turbo blankets do help spool the turbo while also keeping radiating heat from the turbine housing down to keep under hood temps down. The reason why it does help the turbo spool faster is that the heat is kept in and if anyone has taken physics heat is wasted energy, and if have knowledge about thermodynamics then you know the less heat loss you have from the system the efficiency of the turbo is greater.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (KillerBee18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KillerBee18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo blankets do help spool the turbo while also keeping radiating heat from the turbine housing down to keep under hood temps down. The reason why it does help the turbo spool faster is that the heat is kept in and if anyone has taken physics heat is wasted energy, and if have knowledge about thermodynamics then you know the less heat loss you have from the system the efficiency of the turbo is greater.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2

think of it in the same way why you want cooler air in the intake. cooler air is denser and takes up less volume, the hotter the air is in the turbine means the more volume it will be taking up and youll be pushing through it. "spooling it faster"
1 lb of 20 degree air takes up much less volume than 1 lb of air at 120 degress.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (SLowCrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLowCrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keeping the turbo center section hot would help the exhaust gases flow faster is why I believe it may help with spool times. Same idea with a ceramic coated manifold and exhaust system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, couldnt agree more
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket???

It makes perfect theoretical sense, but has anyone noticed a SIGNIFICANT difference? Or is the difference so small you almost can't tell?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (Tjabo)

i mainly bought mine to keep under the hood temps down. but i doubt the spool characteristics would be too noticeable.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (H.A.R.T B18C1EG6)

I have one to keep the temps down too, and it does an <U>amazing </U>job of that.

I have thought that my turbo spools up really nice and early for what it is though too, so I kind of wondered what the difference might be. I'm not taking the sucker off to find out though!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Wouldn't keeping all that extra heat in the turbo cook the oil and cause sludge to build up in the center section?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (davep860)

Comparing the two turbo blankets are much more efficent then ceramic coatings on turbine housings, but the down side is the bling factor.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (KillerBee18)

It's worth it just to run one to keep your underhood temperatures down, which in turn allows your cooling system to work better, your charge to stay cooler, and your intake as well.

As far as faster spool many people have already described why it may help spool faster based on thermodynamics. I wonder if anyone has actually done a comparison.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davep860 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't keeping all that extra heat in the turbo cook the oil and cause sludge to build up in the center section?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Curious as anyone have any input on this as well?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (Lusion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lusion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Curious as anyone have any input on this as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not in the turbine housing. THe heat is exhaust energy related. The cartridge is meant to take that type of heat. BUt you want to keep RADIANT heat from the turbine housing to expel the gasses a bit quicker. This is why many high heat coat AND turboblanket for maximum effect.

"spool" is more of a by-product benefit from it, but it is rather small. The bigger benefit is a cooler intake charge because there is less RADIANT heat.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (TheShodan)

i wish i had the luxury of a turbo blanket. too bad i need to save all my money for a retune at 10psi...the part that kills me is that if i had that at 10psi, id be making even more power. SOB i just can't win haha
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (accord_raffi)

I understand that the turbo is meant to take that kind of heat but is the oil inside of it able to take that extra heat?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let your oil cool down like you always should, and you should be fine
Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord_raffi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let your oil cool down like you always should, and you should be fine</TD></TR></TABLE> I don't think you understan my question. If you have a turbo blanket keeping the heat in the exhaust housing then the turbo is going to get hotter. The extra heat will also transfer to the center section. I know the center section can handle the extra heat but can the oil? I have just opened a lot of motors that have been over heated and the oil has been all cooked on the inside. Wouldn't this happen inside the turbo as well?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what you're asking. The oil is always going to risk being cooked in a turbo. With a turbo blanket, you are probably increasing that chance of risk...I don't think you can avoid it which is why I said you should always make sure you do a proper cool down. I guess if you really want to be careful, you can take the blanket off when you're in the cool down process. I believe they just slip on and off so it shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe different grades of oil may help? That's a complete guess tho
Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord_raffi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess if you really want to be careful, you can take the blanket off when you're in the cool down process. I believe they just slip on and off so it shouldn't be a big deal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can see myself popping the hood and taking the blanket off my turbo everytime I finish a trip.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of a Turbo Blanket??? (Tippyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can see myself popping the hood and taking the blanket off my turbo everytime I finish a trip. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well that was the only thing i could think of lol