Notices

Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help

Ok well i got the motor in last sun , and tuned it on thurs. I ghad close to 500 miles on it before i took it to the track , and we had the a/f dead on when we tuned it .
So i took my 1st run and the car felt beautiful 1st 3 gears then top of 3rd it like cut boost on me , or something .
So i take it back to the pits thinking it was a charge pipe or something , but nope. i checked everything and no probs.
I started the car back up and it is smoking a tiny bit at idle, and a little more under load, the car still boosts fine.I think it looks whitish , but everyone else seemed to think it was just burning really rich and was black. i checked and there is no coolant in the oil nor vice versa. compression tests all within like 5% of eachother at the worst. Went to do a leakdown at Rados truck becuase i didnt have air and he told me to pull all the plugs out a while, so i got them all out till cyl 4 and thne some smoke came out the spark plug hole and he said he can tell me then and there it was a blown HG or sunken sleeve and wasnt worth it to do the test. I dont know how much i trust that becuase i have seen motors do that when the plugs come out and the motors are perfectly fine?
Does anyone have any idea? some were suggesting turbo seals, i did take off my charge pipe and a little tiny bit of oil was in there, but it always did that and i never smoked before. im at a loss here, the motor is brand new everything, im hoping its not rings or even headgasket becuase i dont wanna pull the head again. I didnt get a chance to align the valves again since i put the motor, i dunno if thta makes a diff?
Can anyone give me some insight before i rip this thing apart again?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help (itr206)

bump
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do leakdown pete as well as compression agian.
see what the difference betwwen the cyl are if you say 4 is leaking you can probably rule that pretty quick
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 AM

first of all there should no oil on your charge pipes - if so a possible leaking seals from the turbo - but as far as the smoke, A white smoke is a indication of coolant being introduce in the combustion cambers(head gasket). You said you did a compression test, right? I have found that most people don't know how to do a compression test correctly.

compression test: vehicle needs to at normal operating temp - a battery charge needs to tooked up to a consistancy on engine speed - remove intake ramp - throttle at wide open - with engine of connect a remote starter to motor terminal of the battery(if you don't have disconnect fuel injector for fuel being introduce during compression will affect your reading) - during cracking watch the gauge see how good the compression rise is - remember each cylinders must be crack the same - if one cylinder has a slow rise and still gets about 170 and all cylinders have a quick rise and they are all within 3-9 psi form each other - the one with a slower rise is mostly your problem -

Hope this some help to you
Old 08-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help (HONDADNA)

i guess ill try it again i think there were some that rose faster than others?
dont remember, someone else was cranking int he car while i was reading so i dont know if they had full throttle or not . prob not thought becuaswe the readings were in the 140 range. it was lowered to 9.8:1 compression
as far as if it is the headgasket does Cometic haev a warranty, its only a week old? i dont wanna spend another $100+ on a head gasket. I got the HP version if thta makes any diff.
im gonna see if i can get up to my friends to use the compressor to do a leak down today
Old 08-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is white smoke at idle or on boost. probably blowing it past the gasket but the hp gaskets usually seal pretty good. i
Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help (b18bturbo)

well i noticed it when on the throttle.
i just looked at it today while it was idling and i can kinda see a hint of smoke coming out.
It seemed like the smokign was getting less as i was driving it more ? at lest what i was told when my friend was driving behind me .
you think like sears would have a leak down tester
Old 08-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear man, bump for luck
Old 08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: (Civic420)

Do another copmpression test, 140 is low for 9.8, if that coems up again, look to your HG.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIXTYdashONE)

like i said i dont think he had it WOT , i know that makes a diff in the numbers.
as far as HOW WOT makes a diff if i unplug the injector harness? how does that help?
i usually just unplug the dist harness
Old 08-04-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (itr206)

another bump for luck, sorry to hear about this.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FOrSfEd)

was the car overheating at all????

everytime i blew a headgasket. there was smoke coming out of the sparkplug hole that the gasket was blown on. it usually blew on the intake side of 2&3. you say yours has #4 smoking out of spark plug hole? that's strange
Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.2Lcivic)

nope, not at all .
well the only place i can even find a leak down tester is snap on and they want $300. **** , i cant even do the freaking test on it .
Old 08-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does dan@fuzion have a leakdown tester???

maybe next time get the block o-ringed.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well hetold me with the dartons to go with a cometic gasket becuase with the Darton they dont have an o ring option , and the cometic had the o rings or something in the gasket already. i know the center of the gasket has metal rings. so im assuming thats it
plus Dans like an hour away from me or i woulda been up there already
Old 08-04-2003, 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=itr206
as far as HOW WOT makes a diff if i unplug the injector harness? how does that help?
i usually just unplug the dist harness[/QUOTE]

if the injectors are injecting fuel, it will wash down the cylinder walls preventing the piston rings from sealing - no compression or low compression. you don't need to disconnect the distributor all;for, it will not affect anything..
Old 08-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a leak down tester off ebay 60.00 bucks and they work perfectly

Chris
Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chriscoleman102)

Still didnt figure it out. Kinda sucks you are so far away, I do have a nice snap-on leakdown tester too.
Im still thinking that since the hg was put on wrong the first time it coud be the reason behind it. Smoke coming from the cylinder doesnt always mean a hg.....it could have just been in the middle of a stroke and not all the smoke exited through the valves.
O-ringing is an option with the Dartons. I personally dont think a block should be o-ringed. It should be placed in the head IMO. But the Cometic is a nice gasket and has the extra firering to help seal around the bore better.
Im still gonna guess and say since the hg was tq'd twice that it may have lost its seal..............also STILL USE COPPER SPRAY!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93LSivic)

I agree with Dan Pete. I was thinking about it too and after you guys messed up the headgasket the first time you might have crushed it and fucked it up. I highly doubt that a sleeve sunk. You would have way more of a mess than it seems. Remember what Jeff's motor looked like with a sunken sleeve. Time to pull the head again and check it out. Good luck
Old 08-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC2R714)

well since i dnt have the leak down tester,im going to honda tommorow and one of the techs is gonna let me use their **** to check it out , if those reults come up funny , im taking the head off this weekend to prob further, ijust dont wanna go threu the hassle of pulling the head for no reason.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well since i dnt have the leak down tester,im going to honda tommorow and one of the techs is gonna let me use their **** to check it out , if those reults come up funny , im taking the head off this weekend to prob further, ijust dont wanna go threu the hassle of pulling the head for no reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with two, people, the head can be pulled off in under an hour and a half...its not that hard...
Old 08-05-2003, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GraphiteAccord)

i dunno about cometic gaskets but i have tried using a stock gasket twice(forgot to put dowl pins in the block) and it didnt seal for **** as soon as the car was started. the gasket being used twice prolly didnt help you guys out much. good luck with it.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GraphiteAccord)

i know how long it takes to pull the head, i dissasembled the motor and put it back together and in the car. i just dont wanna do it if it isnt ness. just unwanted work .
well ill find out further today i guess. wish me luck. i still for somwe reason dont think its the headgasket though.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know how long it takes to pull the head, </TD></TR></TABLE>

45 minutes tops.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea and if it makes any diff my oil pressure seems to be fine and so does my water temp? just figured id add that in just in case that info helps.

Quick Reply: Problems with newly built motor ? need big time help