Notices

Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr.

The car is a 96 gsr stock motor boosted to 11lbs. The issue occured yesterday. After about 3 months in the garage I decided to take the car out from one garage to the other. I let it warm, I had to jump start the car as the battery had drained. THe car turned right on and idled. I let it adle for about 10 minuted then took it around the block. I made sure to keep an eye on everything afr, oil, etc.. All was good and the car was running great through a couple of 1st and 2nd gear runs. I decided to take out of my community. When I left I boosted it in 1st and a little in 2nd gear everything all good upto about 7k. When I stopped at the light I noticed my idle went down and the car stalled (the lights dimmed). I thought it was something with the battery as I knew the battery was dead. The car did not even have enough power to crank. I got my other car and jumped it. THe car now turned on but Idled at like 300rpm and would stall. I did this again and held the idle with my foot. and the cel 14 came on. I tried to drive and the car bucked bad at like 1500-2000 with load. I drove like this home. I changed the ecu and re-chipped the ecu and all the same. I will be cheking the iacv as I had a wondering idle sometimes for the past several years that would only come on sporadically.

Has this happened to anyone else? is it the iacv? this is killing me. I took the plugs out and they were fine just rich as I added fuel as it was in the 15-17+ when I was driving between 1-2k rpm. I did not take it higher then 2k rpm.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr. (drintegra)

try replacing the battery with a known good one. ive seen batteries dead enough to not even keep the car running after being jumped.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr. (philafelman)

thought the alternator was reponsible for supplying voltage to the entire car after its been started...
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr. (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philafelman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try replacing the battery with a known good one. ive seen batteries dead enough to not even keep the car running after being jumped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will try this but I doubt this would cause the issues i described.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thought the alternator was reponsible for supplying voltage to the entire car after its been started...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree but I also don't see this being an issue as it was a sudden drop in rpms and then bucking like crazy. I took off the iacv and cleaned it out and will try to turn it on tonigh with a good battery. weird crap cause it never did this before and the car has always run great. The IACV had some tiny chunks of carbon in the screan so I am hoping that was the issue. never cleaned it before either.

It almost feels like a sensor went bad all of a sudden dunno which one though
Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr. (drintegra)

check the IACV and also check to see if the alternator belt is still on
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Bucking and stalling in a boosted gsr. (boosted k20)

The alt belt is on and tight. The Alt is plugged in and the battery charged some so I know the alt is charging as the battery was totally dead and after riding for like 5 minutes I can atleast see the lights on in the car when the key is to the on position. I reviewed some of the posts about IACV and the code 14 and people have had weird results. Frustrating as the car has been flawless for the past 7 years. I hope the IACV cleanup did the trick but I have doubts. I will replace it with my other cars to check also. I just never heard of the IACV causing issues like that. Felt like the map sensor was bad or TPS. I also checked the map and it was fine and the TPS read accurately when I looked at the laptop fully closed it was at like 2% and full throttle was at 100%
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your TPS calibration. Also, look for a disconnected or pinched FPR hose.