Notices

Precision Turbo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Turbo Problems

I have a 2008 Civic Si with a Full Race kit in it. Hes been through 2 journal turbos already by blowing out the oil seal. I cant figure out why? there is people on the 8th gen forums telling me to run a restrictor and then Precision telling me not to. I checked EVERYTHING (leakdown test, compression test, feed line, return line) and it all seems to be legit and good.

just wondering if you guys expierenced any problems with journal bearings. does the K engine produce really high oil pressure then the turbo is rated for? should he try a .065 restrictor?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Precision Turbo Problems

Most K series tend to run a little high on oil pressure over 90psi. On most journal bearing systems, a .065" restrictor is expected. But also check the way your oil return line is with no 90 degree -AN fittings on drain and that the feed has no kinks.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Most K series tend to run a little high on oil pressure over 90psi. On most journal bearing systems, a .065" restrictor is expected. But also check the way your oil return line is with no 90 degree -AN fittings on drain and that the feed has no kinks.
no everything seems to be flowing fine with the return. should i put the restrictor on a -3an feed or should i get a -4an feed then rn the restrictor. the restrictor is going to be good for the turbo at idle?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM

A -3AN with .065" should do the trick
Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What turbo is that? Im running a Precision sc34 with no restictor(-3an) on a d16y8 with shimmed oil pump. Its putting out decent oil pressure....not much less then your k. No problems so far...approximately 3k on the setup. Runs great.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe111599
What turbo is that? Im running a Precision sc34 with no restictor(-3an) on a d16y8 with shimmed oil pump. Its putting out decent oil pressure....close to what your k is putting out at least. No problems so far...approximately 3k on the setup. Runs great.
its a journal bearing 5857. i went through 2 of them already.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEJCoupe
its a journal bearing 5857. i went through 2 of them already.
Dang bro! Thats def bigger then what I have. I guess just try the restrictor and see what happens. ??? What else could you do??? Not much else I can think of. Good luck with the 3rd one!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have NO valuable input,just love k's on boost
Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joe111599
Dang bro! Thats def bigger then what I have. I guess just try the restrictor and see what happens. ??? What else could you do??? Not much else I can think of. Good luck with the 3rd one!!!
ya turbo is perfect for Ks. my bro had a 6262 on his rsx-s and just sold it for the 5857 cuz he loves how it preforms on mine. he has no issues with his K series though which is wierd
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I was worried about the pressure my turbo was seeing after I swapped in my built engine. I was seeing 90-100 psi on the oil pressure gauge.

What I did was get one of the stealthmode ball valve restrictors. I ran a tee fitting off the restrictor and put a liquid filled gauge on it. I adjusted it while the car was on the dyno so that at full throttle the gauge was reading 55-60 psi. Hot idle gauge reads about 5psi. Which is what I was seeing at hot idle before I adjusted the valve.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guess a restrictor for the turbo when it comes back from being rebuilt. a restrictor is not going to starve the turbo of oil during idle or part throttle right?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Not if its the right size. As I said, a .065" should take care of it, but also consider 1158's idea of the ball-valve restrictor as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guess a restrictor for the turbo when it comes back from being rebuilt. a restrictor is not going to starve the turbo of oil during idle or part throttle right?
Part throttle on the dyno the gauge was reading anywhere from 20 to 40 psi depending on RPM and load. I've had the ball valve setup for a few months and no issues with the turbo so far.

Going with the .065" restrictor would be cheaper, but I liked having the gauge in the line so I could tell what pressure the turbo was seeing.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Not if its the right size. As I said, a .065" should take care of it, but also consider 1158's idea of the ball-valve restrictor as well.
alright i would try the .065. 1158s idea is great but i would have to buy a gauge, mount it, blah blah more work. if the .065 dont work then im just goin to go ball bearing next
Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a pic of a pt67 NON BALL BEARING turbo i installed on a customers vehicle after only 7 street 3rd gear pulls and 4 track runs and 10 street miles. the car had a garrett 60-1 on it for 1 year with no problems and all i did was change turbos and retune. precision says they wont warranty it and its gonna cost 300 to 500. WAT HAPPENED I HAD A FILTER ON AT ALL TIMES!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does my return line look fine though shodan? i also have my feed coming off an oil sandwich adaptor. could that be a cause? maybe change it to a "T" off the oil pressure sensor?

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My feed is off a GE oil sandwich. It was fine when I had the original engine in. I only started see a little oil in my charge pipes after I swapped in my built engine. I saw a 15-20 psi increase in oil pressure on my gauge which is why I ended up buying the restrictor. Your return looks fine to me. My money is on oil pressure being to high.

I would also keep your 3an, don't switch to 4.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP sounds like too much oil pressure as indicated above and I would look at a restrictor as suggested to drop down the pressure a bit.

Originally Posted by cloviskilla
this is a pic of a pt67 NON BALL BEARING turbo i installed on a customers vehicle after only 7 street 3rd gear pulls and 4 track runs and 10 street miles. the car had a garrett 60-1 on it for 1 year with no problems and all i did was change turbos and retune. precision says they wont warranty it and its gonna cost 300 to 500. WAT HAPPENED I HAD A FILTER ON AT ALL TIMES!

As with every other time you post this picture... looks like something got sucked into the turbo. IE... look at the leading edges of the wheel which are all chipped and look like they have an edge worn on them as well. LOL looks like an edge you see on a my well used lawn mower blade.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no problems with my 6262 journal. it uses a -3 AN feed no restrictor, and a 5/8ths drain.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
i have no problems with my 6262 journal. it uses a -3 AN feed no restrictor, and a 5/8ths drain.
I'm finding that each engine is different when concerning a restrictor. When I first went turbo I searched and searched about restrictors and found people saying you need them and people saying you don't.

I didn't need one at first. Then when I swapped engines (everything else stayed the same) I started seeing a little bit of oil getting past the seal. Lucky I caught it early and didn't do any damage. I put in the restrictor and now I'm not seeing oil get past the seal.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

really though, oil isnt going to destroy a steel ring. its not going to wear it. its not like if the seal sees 100psi once its going to shatter the steel ring/seal.

imho its the drain that is the most important part. also, if the block has a lot of crank case pressure that can lead to the oil leaking past the seal. after all, the oil will find the easiest route of escape that follow it.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
really though, oil isnt going to destroy a steel ring. its not going to wear it. its not like if the seal sees 100psi once its going to shatter the steel ring/seal.

imho its the drain that is the most important part. also, if the block has a lot of crank case pressure that can lead to the oil leaking past the seal. after all, the oil will find the easiest route of escape that follow it.
In my case my crankcase was vented better with the new engine. I had lines from the VC and the ports of the back of the block. Before that I only had lines off the VC. My drain is the same. I did see an increase in oil pressure by close to 20 psi. The gauge I had on the feed line showed about 90-95% of the oil pressure I was seeing on my dash gauge (90-100 psi) was reaching the turbo. In my case I think it was the pressure, but even so I wasn't seeing a river of oil, just a small amount oozing out.

I do agree with you though. In most cases it does not seem to be the feed. It is more likely to be the drain or a crankcase pressure issue.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well there is a picture above of my return and i was told it looks fine. so i dont thnk its the return. my crankcase pressure is the best i can do as well. i have a k20 engine. what i did was remove my PCV valve, i put a barbed fitting in so its open, and ran it to a breather can. then i also ran a hose from the VC port to a breather can. everything open and venting. so im hoping now its just the restrictor on the feed
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well there is a picture above of my return and i was told it looks fine. so i dont thnk its the return. my crankcase pressure is the best i can do as well. i have a k20 engine. what i did was remove my PCV valve, i put a barbed fitting in so its open, and ran it to a breather can. then i also ran a hose from the VC port to a breather can. everything open and venting. so im hoping now its just the restrictor on the feed
Stupid question, but have you checked your drain to make sure there isn't any blockage? I highly doubt it would be the issue, but it's worth a look.

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo Problems