Notices

precision "600hp" intercooler install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default precision "600hp" intercooler install

i chose the precision "600hp" fmic for my setup. i searched and searched and couldnt find a write-up on the install on an integra. so im going to make my own writeup. after two days of working on and off its finally installed. anyway here it goes. as you all know, precision IC's all come with mounting tabs. which in my application i decided to grind them off, rather than cut holes in my bumper support.

after the tabs were grinded off, i ran to home depot and picked up some heavy duty L shaped brackets and some hardware. the total cost of these parts was around 6.00 after i picked up the hardware and mounting brackets, it was time to start wold war 3 with my bumper support. drilling through this damn thing is NOT easy. i measured, and marked off the bumper support with a marker, to make sure the IC would be centered. after drilling through the bumper support, i used a tap from sears to make threads in the actual support, also with a nut on top, the nut was a little beefy, and the screw was close to the sidewall of the support so i had to file the nut down a little so it would seat right into the sidewall and create a positon where the nut would hold steady when tightening the screw

i cut off some peices from my old dirtbike handlebars to make a spacer between the support and the bracket, when you tighten down the bracket you dont want it to bend out of shape, so i made these brackets so it would be tight and not allow the bracket to budge at all.

after this was done on both sides of the support, i mounted the IC for a test fit, luckily it fit perfect on the first try

and after all this was done..this was the turnout

as you can see, i am not completely done with the install yet. which would explain the mess of a car right now. but i threw the bumper on, no turn signals, and i didnt fasten the bottom of the bumper to the frame yet, so its just kinda hangin there, but as for the fitment of the IC in my bumper, you can get a jist of it from this pic.

i hope this was a help to some of you with the same questions i had. and ill be sure to post pics of the finished product when i am done.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (SSBPGSR)

I didnt know cores that small could support 600hp, where did you get it and how much? looks like it can bolt up to a civic without cutting the bumper.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt know cores that small could support 600hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

*if* that IC supports 600hp then i guess this is a lesson in efficiency
Old 09-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Killer_B)

haha, if you have no knowledge please dont post. http://www.wiredspeed.com precision 1024-600 "600hp" front mount. thanks though and BTW, it is very efficient
Old 09-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (TurboHybridEG6)

Looks good, just hangs a little lower than the bumper cover. Don't worry, mine is the same way...except I don't have a bumper on mine.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (m R g S r)

What I would do to give it a better and cleaner look is cut the bumper support and move the mounting brackets so the IC is sitting in between in the middle..Works by moving it upwards and the bumper will fit much better
Old 09-25-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (SOUNDEFFECTS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOUNDEFFECTS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I would do to give it a better and cleaner look is cut the bumper support and move the mounting brackets so the IC is sitting in between in the middle..Works by moving it upwards and the bumper will fit much better</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree
Old 09-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (hulkhb)

I want one of those in mine

[notice lack of intercooler]
Old 09-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Tweakmeister)

if i could get some tools to get the bumper support cut i would do it in a heart beat, just drilling though the bumper took a while. what do u use to cut the bumper support?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think drilling the bumper is hard, try cutting out 30 inches of it, all along the bumper support. And another thing I learned, if you put the horn some were else, make sure it doesn't touch the frame, if it does it will make the most horrid noise ever when u try to use it.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (leadfoot78)

what did u use to cut 30 inches of it, i wanted to do this but i jus tnever had the right tools. what do i need to do it?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a cut off wheel, sawzall, and air body saw... in the end.. it turned out great.. will post up pics if i can find them... it also helps on clearance isssures.. you dont want to have ur IC hang lower than your lower rad support , especially if ur car is dropped.. just imagine hitting a curb.. OUCH!!

Lucily, I got mine to be slightly above the low rad support...
Old 09-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job on the install. I have to agree with others that the i/c cannot be rated at 600. I/C can only work off of airflow and it is just not big enough...but it will work fine for you.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (earl)

It will support 600whp. Ask anyone who has used them and seen the AIT with these cores, they are awesome! Garrett cores are the best out there.

If you compared it to a tube and fin of the same size, the Garrett core will blow it out of the water. Ask people like tony1, St00pid and many others and they'll tell you how great these cores are when they dyno. You don't have to take my word for it.

art
Old 09-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Trial User

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Arturbo)

yea pics would be good, i didnt realize it would hang so low, im still waiting on my manifold and DP, so i have PLENTY of time to battle my bumper support. got nothin better to do anyways.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To cut the bumper support just buy an angle grider for like a $100 and some cut off discs... That tool is priceless.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 PM
E-thug

Anyone have any problems in an eg with this intercooler, mine seems to restrict airflow to the radiator and cause my car to run 210-215(just past half on stock guage)?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (boostismycrack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostismycrack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have any problems in an eg with this intercooler, mine seems to restrict airflow to the radiator and cause my car to run 210-215(just past half on stock guage)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i highly doubt that the IC is restricting airflow to the radiator. my IC is slightly taller and i never had any heat issues.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (SOUNDEFFECTS)

nice write-up
Old 09-25-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (GS-Rdriven)

That is the IC that Precision lists as their '600hp' unit. As far as if it will support that or not, I am not touching that debate

Btw, thats a bhp listing.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will support 600whp. Ask anyone who has used them and seen the AIT with these cores, they are awesome! Garrett cores are the best out there.

If you compared it to a tube and fin of the same size, the Garrett core will blow it out of the water. Ask people like tony1, St00pid and many others and they'll tell you how great these cores are when they dyno. You don't have to take my word for it.

art</TD></TR></TABLE>

why isnt this info known all over HT. ;ots people would have love to have something like this fo sleeper looks.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt know cores that small could support 600hp, </TD></TR></TABLE>

The core isnt that small,its 3.5" thick which is the thickest you'll find on a intercooler that size.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (D-Man)

Run to Home Depot and grab a Dewalt Sawzall. They run like $120 or so.

that thing will cut through anything...like shocks!

Old 09-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: precision "600hp" intercooler install (Tweakmeister)

hahaha, sweet shock job. i used that tool yesturday to cut my IC piping beacuse it wouldnt fit with the new IC, if i cut the bumper support, wouldnt the IC sit higher than the bottom of my bumper? or id have to get new brackets that are taller so i can flip them around so they are facing upward, ideas please! i think i have a few good ones in mind, but im always open to other suggestions. thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used ans oxy-acetylene torch to cut my support., left the front on it, just cut out behind it to slide my intercooler in...works great.

edit:pic: now this is before i bolted it on...its sits higher, strait, and centered now.

Quick Reply: precision "600hp" intercooler install