Notices

Pre-Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Turbo Questions

I have finally decided to go turbo on my 98' Ex coupe, but I want to do everything right, meaning i'm going to spend a few months preparing the rest of my car (brakes, suspension, internals, transmission) so that once i have the turbo installed, i won't ever have to worry about it, and the rest of my car will be able to handle the added speed. My first question is, would it be worth it to upgrade to the skunk2 intake manifold before i get a turbo kit, the money isn't an issue, so would it be of any benefit. Also, what would be a good cam that will make good power both NA as well as under boost?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pre-Turbo Questions (Ilouisell)

how much money are yhou planning on spending.according to your list (brakes, suspension, internals, tranny) your gonna be dropping alot of money. why dont you just set a goal, and work from there.

what numbers you trying to get?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Pre-Turbo Questions (-iLLuZioN-B18C1)

I don't know, probably like 6 or 7 grand, i was just gonna get a DSM and work on that, but I really love civics, even if everyone has them. In terms of what kind of numbers i want to be getting, I would have to say that I would like it to be as fast as possible, while retaining almost the same reliability. I don't plan on taking the car to the track often, if at all, so I would like something that could run low low 14's with a full interior, stereo, etc. So about the cam and intake manifold...?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keeping the civic motor or swap?

you can easily build the civic motor for turbo to run 13's.

if you just wanna run low 14's just do a swap and some bolt ons and your set.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:54 AM

I want to keep the D-series, I'm used to it, its light, and i like the way the ex is geared, also, i would rather have a turbo car than a NA car, and I don't really wanna deal with the hastles of a swap(i.e. never really knowing how many miles are on the block, or how hard the person before me drove it.)
Old 09-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you wanna go turbo, STILL, if all you want is a low 14 second car, just bolt on a kit, get hondata or something like that, bigger injectors, go tune it, and your set.

now if you wanna plan for the future, you might wanna just go ahead and do everything right now and build up the block to handle it, sleeves, rods, pistons. that way you have room to turn up the boost if you want (and you will want to) in the future.
also, custom kit is preferable, get the best parts piece by piece!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:22 AM

you dont get the best prices always when you piece the kit yourself. im getting a greddy turbo kit w/ FMIC and all the piping w/ RC 310 cc injectors, turbo timer, and all shipped from texas for $1100. I think its a good deal. Problem is i dont know how many miles are really on it and how it was driven but hey...its all your call. i say if you arent a car guy(me) go kit.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:25 AM

if your looking at going big power one of my friends just priced it out to go 11's or maybe a little quicker. he came up with a price of about $15k w/o your car.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pre-Turbo Questions (bigwig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont get the best prices always when you piece the kit yourself. im getting a greddy turbo kit w/ FMIC and all the piping w/ RC 310 cc injectors, turbo timer, and all shipped from texas for $1100. I think its a good deal. Problem is i dont know how many miles are really on it and how it was driven but hey...its all your call. i say if you arent a car guy(me) go kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>well, if you wanna do it that way thats fine, just make sure the parts are still in good condition. does it come with blue box? if so, i would just spend extra for hondata and try to sell the blue box to someone else.

but either way, you will achieve your goal of low 14's without any block work. just make sure you tune it good.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:26 PM

would getting an intake manifold help out. Also if you were to get turbo cams before the turbo was installed but kind of problem would that cause?

thanks