Notices

Please enlighten me with Fuel Pump Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please enlighten me with Fuel Pump Knowledge

Well i dont know anything about fuel pumps... ive read alot and know a little. Okay lets see.... first off... what is the WALBRO 255lph? is that an inline pump? and does it stand for liters per hour? Next... what it an intank pump.. where's it located?(maybe a dumb question) i should probably just ask this question...

I want to run 450whp... and ill be using 780cc injectors.. MAYBE 880cc with Hondata S200B. Will the stock intank be fine, and just run an Inline fuel pump? which Walbro? high pressure, high flow.. i dunno what they come in. all i know is 255lph. Do i need a new fuel rail and FPR? Will the fuel pump that comes with the REVHARD kits do the job?

last but not least, do i need to upgrade fuel lines? like people talk about -6AN lines.. i dont konw that **** either. please give me some links. I read a post where people use stock fuel lines and FPR and they ran 500whp

ENLIGHTEN ME!!! thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please enlighten me with Fuel Pump Knowledge (1SlowSi)

Well never mind about the fuel pump question. Im gonna go with the Walbro InTank fuel pump. My question now is this... i hear that the stock fuel lines can run 500whp.... i just want to run 450whp no more.. will i be fine with the stock lines from the tank to the fuel filter? If i upgrade the lines in the engine bay with -6AN return and -8AN feed, will it really make any difference being that the lines that go to the tank are still small as hell? Do you really ever seen people upgrading the lines that run to the tank?

Also... which fuel pump... high pressure or high flow? hondata.

What size AN would the stock hard lines compare to? What size return and feed lines would you say ide need to run 450whp safely (20-22lbs of boost)

LAST question.. sorry for them all... do ALL the lines need to be the same size throughout the car? like feed/return hardlines the same as the lines that are in the engine bay.

If you could please answer these..... ive searched.... trust me.. thanks again!

Modified by 1SlowSi at 1:38 PM 2/27/2004

Modified by 1SlowSi at 1:42 PM 2/27/2004
Old 02-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd just drop in the walbro 255hp in-tank pump, and maybe have a machine shop do any work it might take to fit your injectors to the stock fuel rail. They could also fit the fpr to the end of the fuel rail as well (try Aeromotive A1000-6 or similar). I honestly wouldn't bother upgrading one portion of a fuel line without upgrading the whole thing. You'll be fine with a stock fuel system other than pump/injectors/fpr.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:36 PM
New User

get the warlboro intank and slap them injectors on. bring it to the dyno and have the hondata tuned. case closed.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

Well case closed then! BUT... high pressure or high flow. What will each one do for me in this case? ill leave stock lines. No fuel filter? stock fine?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1SlowSi)

Isn't high pressure and high flow the same? Either way, Walbro sells a high-pressure pump which is the one you want, I don't know part #'s but it flows 120psi. Also I don't know how well the stock fuel filter flows, but you can upgrade to an AEM filter if you wish/have the $$$. sorry i'm not much help
Old 02-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (turboteg2nv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't high pressure and high flow the same? Either way, Walbro sells a high-pressure pump which is the one you want, I don't know part #'s but it flows 120psi. Also I don't know how well the stock fuel filter flows, but you can upgrade to an AEM filter if you wish/have the $$$. sorry i'm not much help </TD></TR></TABLE>

DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!! Since he is running hondata he wants a High Volume pump. Let me explain...if he were running an FMU/missing link fuel setup then that is when he would need the Inline high pressure fuel pump. Because the fmu setup relies on extra fuel pressure to the injectors for fuel management. As for hondata, you'll be relying on the control of the injectors to provide the extra fuel. Once his motor is tuned with hondata, his injectors would provide the extra fuel needed...all he would need is to have that extra fuel "available" for the injectors...thats what the 255 Intank high volume fuel pump is for. If he ran a high pressure fuel pump with his already tuned hondata setup..that would only make him run **** RICH.....

Khoi
Old 02-28-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (Sohc Driver)

Agreed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!! Since he is running hondata he wants a High Volume pump. Let me explain...if he were running an FMU/missing link fuel setup then that is when he would need the Inline high pressure fuel pump. Because the fmu setup relies on extra fuel pressure to the injectors for fuel management. As for hondata, you'll be relying on the control of the injectors to provide the extra fuel. Once his motor is tuned with hondata, his injectors would provide the extra fuel needed...all he would need is to have that extra fuel "available" for the injectors...thats what the 255 Intank high volume fuel pump is for. If he ran a high pressure fuel pump with his already tuned hondata setup..that would only make him run **** RICH.....

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazerus)

Thank you for that help. High Volume it is! and stock hard lines should be fine then. What would it benefit changing out the fuel lines in the engine bay? any? like -8AN feed and -6AN return?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This MAY be a dumb question, but which HOLLEY Intank? 255lph regular or the one for Forced Induction... would the difference between the two be High Pressure and High Volume? the part numbers are 12-917 (regular) 12-916 Forced Induction.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

*khm*

DEAD WRONG!!! (just had to write that )

Yes, he does want intank.. but even with inline it'll be OK.
He *won't* be running **** rich with inline... know why? Because inline is also limited by lph number.. and FPR regulates pressure -&gt; ammount of fuel coming to injectors.
Only difference is that *if* he run FMU, and fuel pressure increased significantly, inline would be able to produce more lph at that pressure.. at stock -&gt; it's all the same.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo mag just tested a bunch of fuel pumps at RC Eng. and of the walbros the GSS341 pump out-flowed the 12-916 pump (255lph HP) up to ~75-80psi, where the 12-916 took over up to 100psi, but the bypass valve started to open at 85psi. For those that didn't see the article, the GSS341 flowed ~2x as much as a stock GSR pump at 35psi, gradually increasing to 4x as much at 75psi. So I'd go with the Walbro GSS341 intank pump and leave the underhood lines alone unless you just want them to look better. And yes, the fpr regulates fuel pressure, no matter what or how many pumps you have installed, "high pressure" or not there mr. deadwrong lol.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hpfsi)

OKay so now you are saying High Pressure then? i can see where it would come into play with an FMU but with Hondata, it doesnt seem neeeded. I mean i have seen the high volume used with 450-500whp and it seems to work great. i Just want the best to use to i dont have to do it again.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (1SlowSi)

just stick with the "intank 255 High volume" fuel pump....if you want more input..PM Tony1..he'll tell it to you straight...but he's only going to tell you the same thing I did

Khoi