Notices

Piston slap w/SRP's

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston slap w/SRP's

I just got done putting stock bore 75mm SRP's and Eagle rods in my Y8. On cold start up I get the normal piston slap that I was expecting, it gets much much better when warmed up however the noise it still there. It is mainly under slight load from 1-3k rpm that you hear it. I don't even hear it at idle when warm, just under partial throttle from 1-3krpm and I don't hear it when giving it more throttle or above 3krpm. It is loud enough that it bothers me, but should I be overly concerned about this? I honed the cylinders myself, not spending more than 25-30 seconds in each bore with the ball stone type honing brush. The engine does not smoke at all and runs perfectly otherwise. I have only driven the motor for about 25 miles w/no boost and the noise doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Should I ignore it and just see if it gets any worse with more miles? BTW: this is definately not a bearing noise, I plastigaged all the bearings and used Honda bearings.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (fxrob)

I get piston slap when it is cold too. But once it warms up it is fine. I've never heard it when the car is warm. And I have JE. I don't know it sounds like it could be something else.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (jason190)

my car did that with the wisecos i had, so for the hell of it i took the oil pan with the intentions of just checking the bearings, and found part of my oil squirter laying in the bottom of my oil pan. moral of the story.... did you check your oil squirter clearence? but on the other hand we did my friends motor and made sure to be exact with the squirters and his still does what your talking about (another wiseco build too). but his car runs just fine as well. if you want to be down for a couple more days you could take your motor back about and take your rods and the wrist pins that came with the srps and take them to a machine shop and have the rods pin fitted (just for security reasons).
Old 02-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (turbodohcsi)

The Y8 doesn't have the oil squirters like the dohc vtec does. I may pull my oil pan down just to make sure there is no metal in there. Otherwise I think I'm just gonna drive for awhile and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Checking the pan couldn't hurt... but only 25 miles on it ? I say just keep the puttin on some miles with some load on occasion.... might quiet up after 250 miles or so.

Do a compression test too... always a good thing to do every few hundred miles of the freshly done motor.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (jason190)

I take it that the pistons were put in the old bores.If you had the engine bored oversize the piston/cylinder wall would be more accurate.They are going to make some noise warm , but you shouldn't be able to hear it from the drivers seat.
Glenn
Old 02-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (NJIN BUILDR)

Just grab one of those magnetic oil drain bolts, there like $7 and grab all the metal flaoting around, if you do have troubled, you dont want that **** going back into your motor
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (W O T)

I pulled the pan and didn't see any metal particles, so I just put it back together. I drove it home with a couple of pulls to about 9psi, sounds a tad bit better...but could be just because the pistons were getting hotter. I'm just going to run it and if I something happens I'll bore it out with oversized pistons later on.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:30 PM

It's normal. SRP are known to sound like a diseal truck. I have SRP and sometime it bothers me too. The slapping will always be there but once it warms up it's a little softer.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:37 PM

Hmmm sounds like clearance's are to loose. I had a d15b with srp, machined and honed, assembled mmy self and no slap. When you installed the piston can you move it back and forth in the cylinder? what is the piston to cylinder wall clearance.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (im honda matt)

I didn't measure the clearances since I just bought the stock bore pistons and did a quick hone (guess this is why I'm having this noise). The motor only has 42K miles on it, so I figured just a hone and stock size pistons would be cool. Yes you can move the pistons back and forth in the bore slightly more than the stock ones....but it didn't seem excessive to me.

If I get sick of the noise or something happens to the motor I'll have to buy oversized pistons and have it bored. That is probably what I should have done the first time but didn't want to take more material off the sleeves than I had to. It just sucks because the motor runs very good and seems strong power wise.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Z6 with SRP eagle combo doesnt sound that louder compare to stock
Old 02-19-2005, 10:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fxrob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got done putting stock bore 75mm SRP's and Eagle rods in my Y8. On cold start up I get the normal piston slap that I was expecting, it gets much much better when warmed up however the noise it still there. It is mainly under slight load from 1-3k rpm that you hear it. I don't even hear it at idle when warm, just under partial throttle from 1-3krpm and I don't hear it when giving it more throttle or above 3krpm. It is loud enough that it bothers me, but should I be overly concerned about this? I honed the cylinders myself, not spending more than 25-30 seconds in each bore with the ball stone type honing brush. The engine does not smoke at all and runs perfectly otherwise. I have only driven the motor for about 25 miles w/no boost and the noise doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Should I ignore it and just see if it gets any worse with more miles? BTW: this is definately not a bearing noise, I plastigaged all the bearings and used Honda bearings. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure it doesn't slap when it's warm at idle? I had srp's before and it slapped during idle warm and cold, but it didn't slap when on the throttle. If you have noise from 1-3k it could be spark knock.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Piston slap w/SRP's (turtle-eg)

You can just barely here it slapping at idle....but you really have to listen for it. Just give it a little blip of the throttle and it is heard easily. I've driven it another 85 miles or so with occasional boost and it still runs excellent. I think the noise is a bit more than it should be, so I'm just going to drive it for awhile and when I have more money tear it apart and have it bored and put oversized pistons in. Bummer, should have gone the oversize route the first time