Notices

Piston bore sizes all the same when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston bore sizes all the same when cold?

I have a built Y8 motor with SRP's/Eagle rods. I had the block bored for .20 over pistons but I think the machine shop bored it out too much for the lesser expanding SRP pistons. I've had piston slap from day one but it has slowly gotten worse to the point where I want to swap out the pistons. My question is does anyone know that if each manufacturer piston measures basically the same when cold out of the box? What I'm thinking is just getting some CP's or Wiseco pistons, rehone the cylinders and drop them in with new rings of course. What I'm wondering is if a CP or Wiseco piston bore measures smaller when cold than the SRP does due to the difference in expansion of the materials between the 2 piston types? I'm assuming they should be the same, and that if I get a piston that will expand more it shouldn't have as much piston slap when hot. I know I need to measure the bore and the pistons and everything but I don't want to tear the motor apart for nothing as I don't wrench at a shop anymore and would have to do this in my garage. I'd rather throw some 50wt in it and sell the car :lol: Thoughts?