Notices

Phantom Grip LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom Grip LSD?

I sanyone using this? I am cuirious to see if its worth anything since its relatively cheap... ?
Old 07-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (Zit)

I am wondering the same thing
Old 07-05-2002, 05:05 PM
New User

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (SlowB16)

Don't use it unless you want to blow up your transmission. This is a by product of John Brown..
Old 07-05-2002, 05:36 PM
New User

phantom grip works great, i know a few people with them.. one in a 300hp civic thats had it for about 2 years, and the guy auto-x's all the time. ive got mine sitting here, im just waiting another 2-3 months til i toast my clutch and then its goin in
Old 07-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quaife

Phantom

You get what you pay for...
Old 07-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard that its good for only low hp cars.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (W.ZeroB18C1T)

i heard that its good for only low hp cars.
that's because you are still limited to the weak factory differential
Old 07-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (FAST94GSR)

This is a by product of John Brown..
lmao... i always hear people knocking his stuff. are his stuff really that bad?
Old 07-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (CivicRyda2k)

I think the prob with it is that it seems like it could be tricky to install. I'm planning on getting one in the future, it seems like alot of AutoXers on small budgets use it.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (ion_four)

save your money and but a kaaz or a quaife. you'll be better off in the long run. the phantom-grip is not an LSD. it is similar to a product called a loc-rite. i have used the loc-rite in a couple of domestics and that was a big mistake. do it right the first time! just my .000000000000002 cents
Old 07-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (black92si)

It's a Detroit Locker type. Maybe you had problems with Loc-Rite because it's a no name piece? Seriously, I've never heard of it and I've been working on Fords for 10 years.

Anyway, I'm getting a Phantom Grip. I've heard nothing but good things from people that actually own them. People that knock them seem to have never used them or riden in a car with them. It's always their friends' sister's boyfriends' uncle that had one that "blew up" his tranny in an 800 WHP D15 when he launched with Good Year Eagles....

Seems like 90% of the people that say buy a Quaife don't have one. I don't know why, they only cost 3 times more than the tranny itself!!

[Modified by mplex2000, 5:52 AM 7/6/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (mplex2000)

The probelm with the Phantom grip is the use of it with the stock spyder gears. Those break pretty easy in a honda when you put power to them. So even if the Phantom didnt break, which they are not the strongest peice either, the stock diff still would. I agree with the Quaife and know many racers that throw tons of power at those and have run them for more then 1 season with no problems. I think the 300hp mark it where the Phantom grip lets go....Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 12:13 AM
Trial User

Don't use it unless you want to blow up your transmission. This is a by product of John Brown..
well thanks dude for the wonderfull post,

a pole:
was that help full at all

yes "0"
no "infinity x infinity"

but you have posted lots of random bs in your +2500 post history

how does it ruin your tranny?

phantom grip locks the differential
both wheels will spin at the same time

if you do alot of auto x or road coarses where there is alot of low 2nd gear turns, then a lsd is worth it

if you do an occasional road race stuff, then a phantom grip is a good low cost alternative

i have multiple freinds in gsrs, 300whp dsm's who have the phantom and they like it alot

no it does not perform as good as a quife,but it shoulld not for the price

Old 07-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm well, maybe I'll post seeing as how I actually had one in my car and not just "heard from someone". I had it for about a year in a Turbo LS integra on 10 psi. First of all I dont know if does anything for road racing, I dont do it and I never tried so I dunno. ALthough I imagine it is useless for roadrace/autox. For drag racing, it does lock up the diff when you launch. When I first had it put in the tranny I went and tested it behind my work and sure enough it left two EVEN peel marks for about 20 feet or so. Where as before the driver side tire would leave about a 2 foot mark and the passenger tire would leave about a 20 ft mark. This was in a Turbo LS putting out approximatley 260 hp. It is not in my car any more but it is still inside my tranny going strong. For someone that is interested in doing some drag racing once in awhile in a 200-300 hp car and does not care about improving the handling of there car then i would say go for it. It does work
Old 07-06-2002, 01:43 AM
New User

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (TurboInteg95)

hmm well, maybe I'll post seeing as how I actually had one in my car and not just "heard from someone". I had it for about a year in a Turbo LS integra on 10 psi. First of all I dont know if does anything for road racing, I dont do it and I never tried so I dunno. ALthough I imagine it is useless for roadrace/autox. For drag racing, it does lock up the diff when you launch. When I first had it put in the tranny I went and tested it behind my work and sure enough it left two EVEN peel marks for about 20 feet or so. Where as before the driver side tire would leave about a 2 foot mark and the passenger tire would leave about a 20 ft mark. This was in a Turbo LS putting out approximatley 260 hp. It is not in my car any more but it is still inside my tranny going strong. For someone that is interested in doing some drag racing once in awhile in a 200-300 hp car and does not care about improving the handling of there car then i would say go for it. It does work
hmmm.. interesting.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:10 PM
New User

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (dlplayboy)

what do you people think is so cool about quaife? the #1 reason i like the phantom grip is because when drop your inside tire in the dirt (mountain driving)
the outside tire STILLL drives, unlike quaife which unloads for a briefly
Old 07-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (brian b)

the quaife is a tourqe bias peice. It will transfer the power to the tire that has the best traction.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (ninesecrx)

My friend is about to put one in his ford zx2, he only has about 210hp. but ill let you know how good it woulds. oh and his can is ran everyweekend on slicks. when it runs
Old 07-06-2002, 07:55 PM
saso

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (ninesecrx)

Ninesec is right the phantom grip works well Ive personally tried it from John from the time it first came out to now. The spider gear then becomes the weakest link and could break under serious horsepower. It is a good product for the price but for big horsepower youll prob be better of with a quaife lsd or spool. Anything under 350hp (which is high) will work just fine, I have even seen it hold in a nissan with much more horsepower. John has also built some strong motors for me in the past and to say those negative remarks about him in not entirely accurate.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (TurboInteg95)

I'd have to agree, I have one also in my turbo GSR. Not as fancy as a "real" LSD, but it does seem to work.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (mplex2000)

Anyway, I'm getting a Phantom Grip. I've heard nothing but good things from people that actually own them. People that knock them seem to have never used them or riden in a car with them. It's always their friends' sister's boyfriends' uncle that had one that "blew up" his tranny in an 800 WHP D15 when he launched with Good Year Eagles....

Seems like 90% of the people that say buy a Quaife don't have one. I don't know why, they only cost 3 times more than the tranny itself!!
[Modified by mplex2000, 5:52 AM 7/6/2002]
hahaha, pretty tru. well for input, I ran one w/ no problems for a good month... then just like it was "supposed" to I lost about half the teeth on my Sgear. dyno back then was about 240ish/210ish to the wheels. I got bought by the quaife guarantee and a group buy. I wouldn't recomment the PG, but I wouldn't condeme it either. its like a lot of other things that work for some and not others. I hope it works for you. Btw, I also lost an axle (oem) right before incase that helps
Old 07-07-2002, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (tonydatyga)

How much $$ did the Quaife's go for in the group buy?
Old 07-07-2002, 07:14 AM
New User

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (bob46802)

well thanks dude for the wonderfull post,

a pole:
was that help full at all

yes "0"
no "infinity x infinity"

but you have posted lots of random bs in your +2500 post history

how does it ruin your tranny?

phantom grip locks the differential
both wheels will spin at the same time

if you do alot of auto x or road coarses where there is alot of low 2nd gear turns, then a lsd is worth it

if you do an occasional road race stuff, then a phantom grip is a good low cost alternative

i have multiple freinds in gsrs, 300whp dsm's who have the phantom and they like it alot

no it does not perform as good as a quife,but it shoulld not for the price
Hey "Bob"

I personally know of plenty of cars here in Florida that have blown tranny's due to reasons stated already. I'm sure the excuse is "improper install" or whatever. Feel free to insert any excuse you like.
Why not just weld your diff, same benefit and you don't have to spend 250 dollars for that piece of ****.. Drive with that on the street and lets see how long your tires last brainiac.

As far as John Brown's work, all I got to say is HAA! Yea he builds good motors for the big dawgs in import racing to make himself look good, but I know of too many people that he has way overcharged done absolutely trifling work. I speak from first hand experience.

And "Bob" I've been a member here for over 2 years , I usually post in the Integra Type R forum cause I know more about all motor than forced induction but I like to cruise here occasionally is that ok with you?

I'm not no 17 year old punk if that's what you're thinking.

Go chew on that
Old 07-07-2002, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Phantom Grip LSD? (turbo Si)

How much $$ did the Quaife's go for in the group buy?
Sorry buddy, can't remember... maybe it might come up on a search, I think it was in the FI forum. I just remember it was a damn good deal, i was looking into a kaaz style plate lock unit til the group buy came along so...
Old 07-07-2002, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This guy just keeps talking trash about my shop, this guy is a punk. Not saying he shouldn't share his opinion but I still haven't heard any other cases from this guy except his. Its always I know someone or a friend heard about this....Anyhow I still feel the same way abotu the PG. If Steven from Pacific Performance, (In turbo mag, and on Hi-Rev Speedvision ran it without problems?) Its great for performance in a since that its more affordable then others and does a pretty damn good job on what it advertises.

Quick Reply: Phantom Grip LSD?