Notices

PCV simplest method on B16? and smoke on new install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV simplest method on B16? and smoke on new install

I have read the official threads on PCV systems on here.

On a B16 running no more than 7 pounds boost what is the simplest, maybe not the best, way to handle the PCV?

Initially here is what we did....and would it add to a possible smoking issue?
Top of the valve cover: K/N breather
PCV valve: ported to a catch can that was open on the other side.
so my thinking was that the PCV valve would open when there was enough pressure and just blow it into the can and back out.
(As I write this, Im thinking maybe eliminating the valve itself, put some generic elbow from the PCV port and then taking it to the can----this would let the crankcase breathe all the time without the pressure having to overcome the valve-- because in this case the vacuum from intake that would normally help it open it would not be present.)

we have some smoke afther the turbo install..and NOT just when under boost, normal driving as well. We ve only driven it about 5 miles so far. While some of it is our over rich initial setup, some of it is most definitly oil smoke. .engine is in good shape, never smoked before, rebuilt less than 5000 miles ago.
There is a restricted fitting coming in to the turbo. I am suspecting the drain hose---it is not kinked, but it is not perfectly round inside either, you can see where it curves, it flattens out a bit. even tho it is sleeved in some crappy chinese steel weave, the hose itself inside is weak crap.

What kind of pressure is actually encountered in the drain hose returning to the oil pan? Im thinking of using a hose that would NOT kink at all and clamping it to the nipples on the existing fittings, rather than using the outer collar nuts.

In any case I wondered if the PCV NOT being hooked up to the normal intake vaccuum port, porting the PCV valve to atmosphere but with the valve itself still on might add to the smoke issue..in other words not venting well enough under normal conditions and thereby backing up the oil return....Ive read that can happen so I guess the oil return is NOT under much pressure coming back to the pan huh?..
I certainly should NOT hook the PCV hose back to the intake as Ive read.

So review:breather on valve cover and port under intake simply piped to the can without the PCV valve iteself, and the other port of the can simply ran out the fender well and pointed down. Basically an open breather with a can to catch the bulk of the oil....Is this somewhere NEAR acceptable for a low boost application? Keep in mind, the goal is not to win races or shows,not to win stoplight wars...,simply, to dip our toes..experience the most basic turbo setup...we've alrady felt the boost kick in and we were all smiles!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: PCV simplest method on B16? and smoke on new install

For further questions, you can check here

Oil Catch can done properly without the "Silly" -10AN valve cover ports